Wildlife in your Garden

The joys of having a large garden 👍 I'm not envious in the least o_O
The chances of seeing a badger in my garden are about the same as seeing a unicorn. :lol:
Were you aware that there were badgers locally?
No absolutely not. We live out in the sticks in West Lancs and see deer and foxes in the garden ( the last fox was huge with a bushy tail that Basil brush would have been proud of) but never seen any badgers.

My 96 yr old mum spotted it first and thought it was a raccoon 😆.

I will try to post a picture ( I'm hopeless at that ) and to be fair at first glance it does look a bit like a raccoon!

Another day, another Sparrowhawk strike in the garden. More often than not it's female Sparrowhawk strikes on pigeons, this time it was a smaller male taking a Starling.
I didn't see the actual strike, but must have only just missed it as the Starling was still alive when I opened the blinds.
Unfortunately I had no time to get pictures as I had obviously spooked it and it flew off taking the still struggling Starling with it.

Another day, another Sparrowhawk strike in the garden. More often than not it's female Sparrowhawk strikes on pigeons, this time it was a smaller male taking a Starling.
I didn't see the actual strike, but must have only just missed it as the Starling was still alive when I opened the blinds.
Unfortunately I had no time to get pictures as I had obviously spooked it and it flew off taking the still struggling Starling with it.
Nature red in tooth and claw - as it should be*

*except for cats, bad meffs them, soulless killing machines.😱

**Puts tin hat on :lol:

Went to the Mossley Hill Peregrine nest site this afternoon.

I reckon I was a couple of weeks too late and the chicks have fledged.

No sign of the chicks, but saw what I think was the adult female on the ledge and flying off, no sign of the other bird.

They’ve deffo nested this year, as there’s RSPB signs up, asking not to disturb them.

…..noticed a seagull nesting on the chimney of a house in West Derby. Don’t think I’ve ever seen such a thing in a suburban area a fair way from the river.

Noisy Seagull activity on that roof for a while and now a lone bird sitting constantly on the stack with at least one young one nearby.

Put a few bird feeders out this year and have been making a concentrated effort to keep it stocked. Could easily stand in the kitchen for hours watching them come and go so I'm gonna have to make the further effort to actually learn what's what as far as species go.

Plants are flying this year as well thanks to the bird feeders attracting all these slug and insect predators into the garden.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back