Wildlife in your Garden

Doing fine thanks Sassy, down on Merseyside with my youngest lad for the game tomorrow, hope you and yourfamily are good.
I've seen plenty of wildlife over the years out in my garden but nothing of note lately.
How fun, have a great time at the game and hopefully tomorrow you and your youngest lad can have a celebration after our win ??I’m sure the wildlife will show up in your garden soon.

We live in the country on a hectare (2,5 acres). We get foxes, hedgehogs, loads of songbirds, although where we used to have loads of greenfinches at our feeder we never see them in the past good few years. Seems it is due to trichomonosis

Down 35% in UK !!

Always have a couple of robins - they don't fight as there is enough room in the garden for the two of them in a small garden they would fight to the death.

We live in the country on a hectare (2,5 acres). We get foxes, hedgehogs, loads of songbirds, although where we used to have loads of greenfinches at our feeder we never see them in the past good few years. Seems it is due to trichomonosis

Down 35% in UK !!

Always have a couple of robins - they don't fight as there is enough room in the garden for the two of them in a small garden they would fight to the death.

I was wondering where the Greenfinches had all gone, as I used to see loads of them, mixed together with Gold Finches, feeding on spilt grain and stubble, on the fields by us in Winter.

That’s a really good article on how to minimise the spread of that disease.

I was wondering where the Greenfinches had all gone, as I used to see loads of them, mixed together with Gold Finches, feeding on spilt grain and stubble, on the fields by us in Winter.

That’s a really good article on how to minimise the spread of that disease.
One of my favourites for its peach coloured breast is the male chaffinch. I haven't seen one of these either for years.

Feeders are great in harsh weather but must be maintained and cleaned regularly.

For one' own safety, always wear rubber gloves when doing this. I fill a bucket with a light bleach and water solution and soak them for an hour or so. Then scrub every part with an old dishwashing brush, using a toothbrush where difficult to access.

Let them dry fully before putting fresh seed or nuts in.

What I have also noticed is that in a choice between nuts, seeds and fat balls, the latter are now devoured first followed by seeds and only when theuy are gone do they go for the nuts, Again 20 years ago the nuts went first, the fat balls last! Fascinating to observe over the years - no idea why the change, although the greenfinches prioritised the nuts.

What I have also noticed is that in a choice between nuts, seeds and fat balls, the latter are now devoured first followed by seeds and only when theuy are gone do they go for the nuts, Again 20 years ago the nuts went first, the fat balls last! Fascinating to observe over the years - no idea why the change, although the greenfinches prioritised the nuts.
Goldfinches and Greenfinches are amongst the most common visitors to my feeders.
I find that Sunflower hearts are by far their most popular choice, despite the nuts and fatballs.

Last Tuesday we got an influx of Starlings. No sign of any on Monday. They are everywhere now, even down by the river walk (about a mile from where I live). Is that normal behaviour from them? @COYBL25 any ideas? They are not doing any harm but have totally taken over the garden and are extremely raucous.

I’ve noticed this, by us the past week or so by us.

It’s because the chicks have fledged and have formed little flocks of family groups, with the adults !

Next time you see them have a look for the young birds. They’re drab compared to the adults, but are super noisy !!!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back