Transfer Rumour Wilfried Gnonto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of his 8 goals and 3 assists last season, only 1 goal and 1 assist came at Elland Road. Perfect for playing on the counter?
I think he'll work as a Dyche-style winger really well. He's got pace to hit back on the counter and it'll help if we're moving on from DCL. Beto won't be expected to hold the ball up as much because he'll have someone that can get up to him for an out-ball.

Been in talks for a few weeks, should get done this.

They want another winger as well, Philogene was obviously their first choice for that 'other' - good to see they're trying to move quickly, at least. That or Kopite Kev spending all the money before he sods off next year.

Just asked my mate for a revised opinion on him, after gauging his opinion last summer. He’s a Leeds season ticket holder and a pretty thoughtful kind of football fan.

He says:

To be honest similar to last year… he was injured for half the season, had one really hot month in about Jan where he carried us entirely, but tended to lose his starting place to Dan James and was mostly a sub… there’s real potential there though, just needs time to nurture it, Leeds fans are desperate to offload him though and get in someone more for the here and now.

He got 8 goals in a team that finished 3rd and got nearly record points in the championship, we were hoping for double that to match Summerville on the other wing… tough call! Maybe a change of scenery will do him well

So not a ringing endorsement… but then, he will hardly have endeared himself to Leeds fans with his attempt to force a move to us last summer.
Injured half the season,just what we need.

I imagine they told him they'd let him leave if he stayed one more year with them in the Championship and they failed to get promoted.

He's still on a long contract until 2027 but his value won't have increased since last year's interest.

Like we know, Leeds are in big trouble if they don't bring in significant funds very quickly.

I think something around £15-20m is more than reasonable for what is still only a good prospect. He could easily still fail to make the grade at top level.

He wants to join us, but we won't get into a bidding war so hopefully he can be had for what we think he's worth.

Was watching highlight reels reminds me of Shaqiri (short, but has some bulk to provide physicality, swift pace, tricky on the ball and diligent on attacking and tracking back)
If he's even 75% as good as Shaqiri then for £20m in this market it's a no-brainer. Shaqiri was seriously underrated by many people, maybe because he played for Liverpool, but his exploits around Europe and on the international stage speak for themselves.

Only watched one game he featured in last season and his cross for the second goal was sublime. Mind you the keeper was dog turd in that game

Leeds are weirdos. Desperate for everyone to hate them, try and start feuds with everyone when in reality nobody really cares since the 80s

Still hate them. However wasnt the 1995 semi vs Spurs at Elland road?

He didn't really stand out when I watched Leeds in the championship. Summerville was by far their best performer. At least in the games I watched.

leeds were a funny one last season. They seemed to have periods where each of their attackers would shine. Summerville had a phase, Gnonto had a phase, Rutter....

I like that we have a plan and ideology of how we play/who suits, and if the targets become available then it's worth talking to. Don't forget mate he's only 20 and still got 8 goals last season. Leeds had a run of 8 wins in 9 games, he will crucial to that (see screengrab below). Worth noting as well he's a right footed right winger. (Or at least played in that role) this season. Perhaps the plan is to move him to the left and have him cut in, or both.

View attachment 264809

Personally, I would rather go for Summerville. More consistent last season, contributed more. But probably warrants a higher fee.

I reckon Summerville would cost near double what we're going to pay for Gnonto

From what ive seen...Summerville looked class on the left. However I have read Leeds fans saying he may have been 'found out' towards season end as when he cuts inside hes blocked by opposition players. However, could be tiredness @simon_buttle is a fan.

Strange no one has come in for him yet.

As for Gnonto, can play the front 4 positions so would be interchangeable. Brings pace, ball carrying and good defensive stats.

Only 20 so 2 years on Summerville.

Hard to guess where Dyche sees Harrison & McNeil.

Just asked my mate for a revised opinion on him, after gauging his opinion last summer. He’s a Leeds season ticket holder and a pretty thoughtful kind of football fan.

He says:

To be honest similar to last year… he was injured for half the season, had one really hot month in about Jan where he carried us entirely, but tended to lose his starting place to Dan James and was mostly a sub… there’s real potential there though, just needs time to nurture it, Leeds fans are desperate to offload him though and get in someone more for the here and now.

He got 8 goals in a team that finished 3rd and got nearly record points in the championship, we were hoping for double that to match Summerville on the other wing… tough call! Maybe a change of scenery will do him well

So not a ringing endorsement… but then, he will hardly have endeared himself to Leeds fans with his attempt to force a move to us last summer.

He did only play half the minutes that Summerville did tbf. So he did match the pace

Summerville did start twice as many games as Willie and is 2 years older. I wouldn’t use the base stats as an argument. The performances are a fair thing to call out- Willie certainly wasn’t as engaged for them last year. Injury, attitude, etc.

Like him has pace, but another one who doesn't score goals, or a very few at that.

I posted in the summer tranfer thread about his mins to games and his goals/assists.

Almost a goal or assist every 2 games in both the PL and Championship.

Impressive from the wing.

We are sticking to our guns with pursuing players across multiple windows, Ndiaye, Danjuma, Beto, McNeil and now Gnonto.

Hope so, may go back for Jan target Asprilla as well...

I like the look of Asprilla at half the price.

Get him in and bring James back.

Out of his 8 goals and 3 assists last season, only 1 goal and 1 assist came at Elland Road. Perfect for playing on the counter?

Been in talks for a few weeks, should get done this.

They want another winger as well, Philogene was obviously their first choice for that 'other' - good to see they're trying to move quickly, at least. That or Kopite Kev spending all the money before he sods off next year.

I think our plan is to go towards quick counter attacking football.

The players linked and Ndiaye seem to be those who get us up the pitch quickly.

If Thelwell stays predictable and goes for Asprilla who we bid for in January then we could see that attacking midfield trio of:

Asprilla -- N'diaye -- Gnonto

That certainly looks far superior on paper to:

Harrison -- Doucoure -- McNeil

Also a lot of potential there and upside on future sales.

If Thelwell gets this window right we may be seeing a contract extension. Which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back