Transfer Rumour Wilfried Gnonto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe not but we have £50mil+ worth of centre forwards in the squad in Beto, DCL & Maupay.

Lets say we shifted all 3 out. Rather than having e.g 10 targets on our list at £25mil or below (if we sold one of DCL or Beto) we might have 20 targets with 10 priced north of £25mil.

Look at Maximillian Beier at Hoffenheim who has 16 goals in the Bundesliga last season and broke into the German squad -- release clause of €30mil.

Jonathan David one year on his contract with Lille and available at £25mil. 19 goals last season and while hes been linked all over for this and last summer, hes still not moved.

Would we rather have DCL & Beto or those two?

All I'm saying is that for £50mil if we only focused on bringing in one starter + Chermiti as backup we'd have a much wider range of options to bring in a far superior player.

In addition, we would likely still have funds to spend, huge savings on wages and would provide an opportunity for us to sign someone we actually want;

DCL: Been at the club for years
Beto: Signed as no money down
Maupay: Signed by Lampard/Kenwright

Zat, if we sell Beto (which we will try to do) then what we sell him for will simply cancel out what we have to pay for him this and next season, its not going to be a free 25m but simply the return of money we spent last season which we didn't actually have. Maupay is in the last year of his contract at the very best we may get a minimal fee for him of say 3m or so - Brentford know that they can put a loan offer in and we'd accept so it'll just be a token amount received.

DCL - yes we could likely get around the 20m or so mark for him, absolute tops 25m which I doubt.

Basically if we just sell DCL those funds will be used to pay off the Beto transfer.

If we sell Beto it'll be to pay off the money owed buying him.

Maupay will fetch us nothing besides a token amount.

Only by selling both DCL and Beto would we give ourselves maybe 20m or so to invest again.

It makes zero sense to do that.

Given in the last twenty years we have spent big money on two forwards who actually worked out Lukaku and Richy both of whom had shown they could do it in this league and I e who we knew for certain could as he'd been on loan the season prior with us.

and good money on roughly 10+ that have been shocking
Kean, Beto, Walcott, Tosun, Niasse, Maupay, Johnson, Beattie, Kone, Bakayoko etc...

One thing we are absolutely appalling at is buying strikers mate for big money.

Last edited:
Zat, if we sell Beto (which we will try to do) then what we sell him for will simply cancel out what we have to pay for him this and next season, its not going to be a free 25m but simply the return of money we spent last season which we didn't actually have. Maupay is in the last year of his contract at the very best we may get a minimal fee for him of say 3m or so - Brentford know that they can put a loan offer in and we'd accept so it'll just be a token amount received.

DCL - yes we could likely get around the 20m or so mark for him, absolute tops 25m which I doubt.

Basically if we just sell DCL those funds will be used to pay off the Beto transfer.

Only by selling both DCL and Beto would we give ourselves maybe 20m or so to invest again.

i think zat has taken over your mind

Given in the last twenty years we have spent big money on two forwards who actually worked out Lukaku and Richy both of whom had shown they could do it in this league and I e who we knew for certain could as he'd been on loan the season prior with us.

Kean, Beto, Walcott, Tosun, Niasse, Maupay, Johnson, Beattie, Kone, Bakayoko etc...

It's kind of funny this, as we have actually bought very good players in a number of positions, some close to being world class, but never really at forward. If you look at Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Weir, Speed, Cahill, Coleman, Arteta, Peinaar, Kanchelskis we have bought lots of great players, but not at forward.

The one exception is Lukaku. In some ways, I think given our position if we had a forward who was class he would just leave. It's a tough position.

It's kind of why I hope DCL signs another contract. We could get a Lukaku, or even a Richarlison, but most likely we sign a dud. I know people go on about 7 goals scored, but in the last 5 years only 1 player has scored more in a season, and that Richarlison. There's no doubt to me, if a sensible deal could be done for DCL we should keep him.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had signed a player like Coleman, or Baines who was a striker. Played 400 games and scored like 130 goals. He would have been a bit of a cult hero for us, that we have have missed. There's an outside chance if we kept DCL he could sort of be that guy.

Remember, Beto's payments are on the balance sheet -- as are Maupays. Clearly, they still need to be paid off.

If we sell them, those payments are still on the balance sheet but there would be additional incoming payments if we sold them.

Meaning, if we have already factored in those upcoming payments (which we have) then by selling them we are able to open up the same budgets that we would be paying--as long as we sell to cover the balance of payment. With an additional sale of DCL then that will be possible.

So, if we sold Beto & Maupay for the same as the upcoming payments due (e.g £25mil Beto & £4mil Maupay) then we are then able to open up those upcoming payments for elsewhere...if at a small loss e.g £23mil total then a DCL sale (e.g £25mil) covers that loss (£25mil DCL, £3mil Maupay and e.g £20mil Beto leaves £42mil) and we are able to still see a higher amount available not to mention wages removed from the books.

It's kind of funny this, as we have actually bought very good players in a number of positions, some close to being world class, but never really at forward. If you look at Baines, Jagielka, Lescott, Weir, Speed, Cahill, Coleman, Arteta, Peinaar, Kanchelskis we have bought lots of great players, but not at forward.

The one exception is Lukaku. In some ways, I think given our position if we had a forward who was class he would just leave. It's a tough position.

It's kind of why I hope DCL signs another contract. We could get a Lukaku, or even a Richarlison, but most likely we sign a dud. I know people go on about 7 goals scored, but in the last 5 years only 1 player has scored more in a season, and that Richarlison. There's no doubt to me, if a sensible deal could be done for DCL we should keep him.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had signed a player like Coleman, or Baines who was a striker. Played 400 games and scored like 130 goals. He would have been a bit of a cult hero for us, that we have have missed. There's an outside chance if we kept DCL he could sort of be that guy.

Our highest fees paid for centre forwards:

Obviously, Richarlison, Ndiaye and Deulofeu arent really centre forwards.

I'd argue only Yakubu, Johnson, Lukaku, Ferguson and Cottee were sizeable fees at the time of purchase. Which of them flopped?

What would a sizeable fee for the club be now looking at the overall transfer market and player values and fees?

A £25mil signing becomes our 3rd highest centre forward transfer -- were in for Gnonto at that fee in a lower value position (in terms of fees).

Lukaku was signed 10 years ago for £28mil. That's our record centre forward signing...

The logic here shows that (as i posted earlier):

DCL was signed as an u21 player based on potential for £1.5mil

Maupay was signed by Lampard/Kenwright as we had limited funds for £12-15mil

Beto was signed as he was the best we could attract for zero downpayment

None of the 3 have been signed using a large budget for a first choice centre forward.

All i am saying is, if we sold all 3 today and had a £50mil budget for a single centre forward then Thelwell would have far more choice of a starting player to bring in.

Thats what our history of high priced centre forward transfers hss shown us in the premier league era.

Remember, Beto's payments are on the balance sheet -- as are Maupays. Clearly, they still need to be paid off.

If we sell them, those payments are still on the balance sheet but there would be additional incoming payments if we sold them.

Meaning, if we have already factored in those upcoming payments (which we have) then by selling them we are able to open up the same budgets that we would be paying--as long as we sell to cover the balance of payment. With an additional sale of DCL then that will be possible.

So, if we sold Beto & Maupay for the same as the upcoming payments due (e.g £25mil Beto & £4mil Maupay) then we are then able to open up those upcoming payments for elsewhere...if at a small loss e.g £23mil total then a DCL sale (e.g £25mil) covers that loss (£25mil DCL, £3mil Maupay and e.g £20mil Beto leaves £42mil) and we are able to still see a higher amount available not to mention wages removed from the books.

Our highest fees paid for centre forwards:

Obviously, Richarlison, Ndiaye and Deulofeu arent really centre forwards.

I'd argue only Yakubu, Johnson, Lukaku, Ferguson and Cottee were sizeable fees at the time of purchase. Which of them flopped?

What would a sizeable fee for the club be now looking at the overall transfer market and player values and fees?

A £25mil signing becomes our 3rd highest centre forward transfer -- were in for Gnonto at that fee in a lower value position (in terms of fees).

Lukaku was signed 10 years ago for £28mil. That's our record centre forward signing...

The logic here shows that (as i posted earlier):

DCL was signed as an u21 player based on potential for £1.5mil

Maupay was signed by Lampard/Kenwright as we had limited funds for £12-15mil

Beto was signed as he was the best we could attract for zero downpayment

None of the 3 have been signed using a large budget for a first choice centre forward.

All i am saying is, if we sold all 3 today and had a £50mil budget for a single centre forward then Thelwell would have far more choice of a starting player to bring in.

Thats what our history of high priced centre forward transfers hss shown us in the premier league era.
Park life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back