Match Thread Wolves v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
? We did well to win and Carlo is a legend but people are allowed to question team selections- especially when they are like last nights
What has anybody in here done in their footballing career to give them the right to question Carlo Ancelotti's judgement or team selection
Had anybody here access to the Scouting footage of Wolves
Has anybody else seen what goes on in training
If Carlo's selection fail badly it is either down to
Facing a superior opposition i.e Man Utd
Players not carrying out the plan or failing in their tasks i.e Burnley

Couldn't help myself and took a peek at a Wolves forum and saw the sentence "On xG we deserved to win..."

Relegate them please.

Not really getting this Expected goals thing?

Is it a case that somebody is through one on one, for example, that is an expected goal? Or another example, somebody shoots from outside the box but the keeper makes a good save. Is it really that simple?

Is it something that a team can really judge solely based on the stat itself. I mean, back in the day if Michael Branch was clean through the odds were that he would miss so is that still an expected goal, I think not? Or if somebody shoots at goal that has an in prime Southall stood there, is that an expected goal just because they shot at goal, I think not?

Definitely one of the more stranger stats, I like the stat of goals scored to goals conceded to see who won the game, whether they won all the other stats or not, they are the ones that more than likely deserved to win the game

Not really getting this Expected goals thing?

Is it a case that somebody is through one on one, for example, that is an expected goal? Or another example, somebody shoots from outside the box but the keeper makes a good save. Is it really that simple?

Is it something that a team can really judge solely based on the stat itself. I mean, back in the day if Michael Branch was clean through the odds were that he would miss so is that still an expected goal, I think not? Or if somebody shoots at goal that has an in prime Southall stood there, is that an expected goal just because they shot at goal, I think not?

Definitely one of the more stranger stats, I like the stat of goals scored to goals conceded to see who won the game, whether they won all the other stats or not, they are the ones that more than likely deserved to win the game
Might as well get rid of every statistic but the scoreline with this attitude.

Its quite simple. Each shot is assigned a score based on probability of scoring that shot. It's not based on skill of player it's based on averages of how often a player in that position will score that chance regardless of ability . It's a stat to give you an idea of the quality of chances created by each team. Obviously it doesn't overtake the scoreline in terms of importance (no statistic does) but it's as useful as any other statistic.

What has anybody in here done in their footballing career to give them the right to question Carlo Ancelotti's judgement or team selection
Okay, so if no ones allowed to question tactics or the like then the forum may as well be shut down. I thought that was what this this site was for. Be boring if we all agreed on everything

jog around? I would of got motm in that position then. I thought keane was better, scored a goal, good pass% and rock solid. Digne had a good game, assist and worked well on the flanks. Iwobi, did some good interplay with hamez, got a goal, and attacking good movement all round and tracking back, even gomes came on, built up play, got an assist and had a very good game.
I prefer the combination of my own eyes and Mr Ancelotti’s post-match comments rather than your boring anti-Sigurdsson waffle to be honest. Nobody suggested he was MOTM, just that he did exactly what The Don asked and planned. It’s simple to understand.

Might as well get rid of every statistic but the scoreline with this attitude.

Its quite simple. Each shot is assigned a score based on probability of scoring that shot. It's not based on skill of player it's based on averages of how often a player in that position will score that chance regardless of ability . It's a stat to give you an idea of the quality of chances created by each team. Obviously it doesn't overtake the scoreline in terms of importance (no statistic does) but it's as useful as any other statistic.

I never said get rid of them or that stats aren't good to look at and/or important. It was in response to somebody on the Wolves forum saying they should have won because of a stat that can easily be opinion based.

It is like the old 'we won the possession' argument. I have no problem with looking at stats and saying this is where we can improve or this is a positive but then using that stat to say that the result should have been different is utterly ridiculous. If you have less xG or possession or shots but win then you are more than likely doing something else that is important to win the match, i.e. defending crosses well, marking an important player out of the game and others that are not necessarily part of the stats.

Statistics in football should never be taken at face value, this is my point. 60% possession but where was that possession, xG higher than the opposition but what was the scenario for those expected goals. Was it a good save, was it a ball across the box, was it a lucky deflection of a defender that hits the post, etc.

If we take the Wolves game, OK they had a better xG, this is mainly due to how we came out for the 2nd half and the 10/15 minutes where they were getting down the flanks and getting crosses in too easily. It is certainly not an indication on the game I watched, they hardly had a sniff in the 2nd half.

I prefer the combination of my own eyes and Mr Ancelotti’s post-match comments rather than your boring anti-Sigurdsson waffle to be honest. Nobody suggested he was MOTM, just that he did exactly what The Don asked and planned. It’s simple to understand.
Okay, so no one did their job better then? Sigurdsson did his job, i'm sure people did their job better like i said, but ok.

I can't even stand on ice skates, but I don't need to to be able to, to see Torvil & Dean were very, very good.
Or
I've never threw a lunch in a boxing ring to be able to spot when one fighter is doing well and one is struggling
Just by using my eyes
Some of Ancelotti's team selections have been seriously iffy - even if he was let down on the field by poor performances.
Just by using my eyes.
So me for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back