World Snooker Championship

So, 14-10 to Wilson and 13-10 to Jones.

If those two do go on to win, I hope Jones wins it all. Otherwise, I think this has been a very soft world championship for Kyren Wilson. He'll have beaten Dominic Dale, Joe O'Connor, John Higgins, Dave Gilbert, and Jak Jones to win a world crown. Now, Higgins aside, that's as handy as any run to a world title gets. And even the great Scot is in terminal decline. The others are all good players - and Kyren can only beat what's in front of him - but that route to victory is an indictment of Selby, Trump, Allen, and co - particularly Selby and Allen who were in Kyren's half of the draw.

So, 14-10 to Wilson and 13-10 to Jones.

If those two do go on to win, I hope Jones wins it all. Otherwise, I think this has been a very soft world championship for Kyren Wilson. He'll have beaten Dominic Dale, Joe O'Connor, John Higgins, Dave Gilbert, and Jak Jones to win a world crown. Now, Higgins aside, that's as handy as any run to a world title gets. And even the great Scot is in terminal decline. The others are all good players - and Kyren can only beat what's in front of him - but that route to victory is an indictment of Selby, Trump, Allen, and co - particularly Selby and Allen who were in Kyren's half of the draw.
Only as good as your last match? Tight pockets? Tighter schedule? Travel burnout? Lack of focus? Bad cups of Tea? How many debutant finals have there been? When previous were all the top seeds out at the quarters?

Wilson then unless of a proper error.

For Gilbert, it hurts less coming up short here than it does in the final. 17-11 isn't all that close.

There's a vague end-of-days feeling about this year's tournament. With Hearn and O'Sullivan clearly upping the ante as they happily agree to take the despotic riyal, there's a bit of a malaise about snooker at the moment. I quite like an outsider to come through and win it - Terry Griffiths, Joe Johnson, Shaun Murphy, and Stuart Bingham are cases in point - but they either qualified or blasted the best in the business away in the process. Kyren will have beaten dotage-era John Higgins and a few journeymen.

There's something vaguely unsatisfying about that, in my book. Not that Kyren should care. He can only beat whoever is in front of him. But it's been a meh tournament when the best players simply haven't shown up - distracted, no doubt, by the exploitative riches soon to be on offer...

There's a vague end-of-days feeling about this year's tournament. With Hearn and O'Sullivan clearly upping the ante as they happily agree to take the despotic riyal, there's a bit of a malaise about snooker at the moment. I quite like an outsider to come through and win it - Terry Griffiths, Joe Johnson, Shaun Murphy, and Stuart Bingham are cases in point - but they either qualified or blasted the best in the business away in the process. Kyren will have beaten dotage-era John Higgins and a few journeymen.

There's something vaguely unsatisfying about that, in my book. Not that Kyren should care. He can only beat whoever is in front of him. But it's been a meh tournament when the best players simply haven't shown up - distracted, no doubt, by the exploitative riches soon to be on offer...
Can't disagree ; in the main a disappointing tournament, but who knows, the final might make up for it, let's hope. Snooker needs some exciting fresh blood, otherwise it'll be a slow decline and a breakaway tour.

Can't disagree ; in the main a disappointing tournament, but who knows, the final might make up for it, let's hope. Snooker needs some exciting fresh blood, otherwise it'll be a slow decline and a breakaway tour.
I can see it now:

2028 in Riyadh - Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby over 51 frames with the winner taking €1m, the runner-up €750k and the referee - not a woman - taking their bags.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back