Would Tim Cahill be a starter under Roberto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
His technique would have improved with Martinez's coaching and he'd have been an even better player than the one we saw.

Do you think RM has that ability? Did he make better players at Wigan or Swansea? (Genuine question...not being a smart arse)

If we need an extra player for 2 months and he's willing then he can come on board and be part of the revolution..

Now, putting on my Socceroos cap, this would be brilliant as a lead up for the WC...not that we've got a snowflakes chance in hell to progress mind...

Now?

No.

Years past? Absolutely.

Would love to see him working with the club in some capacity once his playing days are over.

I know hypotheticals inherently attract too many 'what ifs' for a considered discussion, but as much as I rate TC, I'm wondering if his type of play would fit. Most of you guys watch the games day in, day out, but I'm limited to whatever highlights the OS decide to release, so it's hard to compare from a distance.

Any thoughts chaps?

Probably not. I think as a loan player, bolstering the bench for a few months and training with us might be a decent deal for both parties though. Could only add to the squad, giving us a different option.

Problem is, that would be another loan used up though (our 4th), and I think you're only allowed 4. I think our 4th and final loan should be one until the end of the season, not until March when he'd have to go back.

I think Tim would have been a much better player under Martinez. Maybe not so prolific, but his overall game would have been more fully developed.

Exactly. Cahill never lost the ball. Though unspectacular, he was really tidy with the ball at his feet. Martinez would've worked with that.

Lads, jib the emotional attachment.

Watching Cahill play for us now would be a mixture of embarrassment and heartbreak.

Tim Cahill done more for Everton than Duncan Ferguson.

Don't agree with that mate. Both great players for the club like, but Ferguson single-handedly kept us up in 97/98 with his goals and his captaincy.

Plus Ferguson was a catalyst for Joe Royle's run as manager, winning the FA Cup and finishing 6th following season, plus he was also instrumental in us finishing 4th in 2005 with some key goals too (such as the 1-0 win over Man Utd).

I think Ferguson's contributions edge Cahill's, and over a longer period of time too, 10 years in total (with a 2 year break in between 1994-1998 and 2000-2006).

Last edited:
Lads, jib the emotional attachment.

Watching Cahill play for us now would be a mixture of embarrassment and heartbreak.

This really.

18 months of him and Saha stinking the joint out was horrendous. Just remember the good times fondly and forget any notion of a return.

I think Ferguson's contributions edge Cahill's, and over a longer period of time too (with a 2 year break in between).

Edges? It's absolutely no contest lad.

1). Cahill played in a very good Everton team, Ferguson was the only bit of light in an otherwise sh*te period in our history.
2). Dunc actually won a couple of things with us.
3). If we're being technical, Dunc has 3 more goals than the little lad too.

Cahill was sound like, but come on.

This really.

18 months of him and Saha stinking the joint out was horrendous. Just remember the good times fondly and forget any notion of a return.

Saha, Cahill & Neville circa 2011/12.

The Axis of Awful, as I called them. It really made for depressing viewing.

Hmmm, not sure about that. Both great players for the club like, but Ferguson single-handedly kept us up in 97/98 with his goals and his captaincy.

Plus Ferguson was a catalyst for Joe Royle's run as manager, winning the FA Cup and finishing 6th following season, plus he was also instrumental in us finishing 4th in 2005 with some key goals too (such as the 1-0 win over Man Utd).

I think Ferguson's contributions edge Cahill's, and over a longer period of time too (with a 2 year break in between).

Fergusons record for Everton is pretty crap for a number 9 and his injuries compounded that.He only scored more than 10 league goals once in all his time here.In his second spell here, in 6 years he never scored more than 6 league goals.

Off the pitch he's a legend on it he was pretty average lets be honest.

Cahill's record is better and he was not even the main striker he'd play deeper or even midfield when he first came.

Sorry to break it to you.

Definitely - if he still has what it takes - he would be a decent addition. If we need an extra player for 2 months and he's willing then he can come on board and be part of the revolution. Doubt he'd be anywhere near a starter but we've got cup games as well and his enthusiasm for the game was second to none. Plus he'd definitely play a part in the Derby (if we need him). Whatever Roberto thinks is right for the team is what matters.

Sorry but I think you're on another planet. Cahill was a point in time for the club that we've moved on from. Where/how would Cahill possibly get in this team? In my opinions, comparisons with Naismith are a bit wide of the mark. Naismith comes on and does a specific job.

Status
Not open for further replies.