2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I’ve come back around again on this. Unless we get someone else in he stays 100%. Replacing him would be ideal but otherwise we can’t afford it.
I know it's not particularly late in the window (we have over a month), but I would be concerned about selling him now and getting a suitable replacement.

Our current transfer dealings aren't standing out as either organised or attracting the best of talent, so on the balance of probability would we do it?

I think it's unlikely. We're a much better team with him in the XI although money talks and if a bid came in and his wages off the books it may be considered.

I know it's not particularly late in the window (we have over a month), but I would be concerned about selling him now and getting a suitable replacement.

Our current transfer dealings aren't standing out as either organised or attracting the best of talent, so on the balance of probability would we do it?

I think it's unlikely. We're a much better team with him in the XI although money talks and if a bid came in and his wages off the books it may be considered.
If we hypothetically freed up enough to make a midfield buy, it's a strong move since we otherwise get nothing when Mina moves on next summer.

It would all be contingent on having a loan plan for adding a CB to pair with Tarkowski. In general, we're making smarter moves. Vinagre is good cover, McNeil's crosses should pair well with an aerial striking setup, loaning Branthwaite to a top-flight club with a CB injury crisis to get him some minutes at that level is smart.

If we hypothetically freed up enough to make a midfield buy, it's a strong move since we otherwise get nothing when Mina moves on next summer.

It would all be contingent on having a loan plan for adding a CB to pair with Tarkowski. In general, we're making smarter moves. Vinagre is good cover, McNeil's crosses should pair well with an aerial striking setup, loaning Branthwaite to a top-flight club with a CB injury crisis to get him some minutes at that level is smart.
Aye, I get the point of potentially freeing up enough of a fee and wages to being able to (partly) fund two replacements. With structured deals, it'd help FFP too.

Nevertheless, I struggle to get past the point that he's our best central defender (maybe not now with Tarkowski) and I'd be concerned about weakening it further.

When he's in the squad, I think we're far more secure at the back and his savviness (snideness?) rattles teams, so after last season I want a solid, safe year.

Unless we are going to bring someone in who is a suitable replacement/even better or able to bring in a solid defender and midfielder, I'd be saying no.*

Your point about making smart moves is a good one though - Thelwell will be looking at beyond this season.

*Obviously if they offer silly money, bite their hand off.

Aye, I get the point of potentially freeing up enough of a fee and wages to being able to (partly) fund two replacements. With structured deals, it'd help FFP too.

Nevertheless, I struggle to get past the point that he's our best central defender (maybe not now with Tarkowski) and I'd be concerned about weakening it further.

When he's in the squad, I think we're far more secure at the back and his savviness (snideness?) rattles teams, so after last season I want a solid, safe year.

Unless we are going to bring someone in who is a suitable replacement/even better or able to bring in a solid defender and midfielder, I'd be saying no.*

You're point about making smart moves is a good one though - Thelwell will be looking at beyond this season.

*Obviously if they offer silly money, bite their hand off.
I think we're just looking at it a bit differently. I see all those expiring contracts next season and want to solve some long-term problems. I don't mind taking on a little risk to do it.

It's totally reasonable to just want to finish comfortably 12th. Risk preference is exactly that. I just think it puts us in position to struggle next season and the season afterward with depth and quality. I would rather cash in on an asset before its value slides all the way to zero, seeing how buying players that became liabilities with zero sell-on value is how we got into this mess.

To put that one another way, I'm thinking long-term, risk-neutral EV - which is generally how I think.

I think we're just looking at it a bit differently. I see all those expiring contracts next season and want to solve some long-term problems. I don't mind taking on a little risk to do it.

It's totally reasonable to just want to finish comfortably 12th. Risk preference is exactly that. I just think it puts us in position to struggle next season and the season afterward with depth and quality. I would rather cash in on an asset before its value slides all the way to zero, seeing how buying players that became liabilities with zero sell-on value is how we got into this mess.

To put that one another way, I'm thinking long-term, risk-neutral EV - which is generally how I think.
Yeah this is also one of the reasons I’m not on board with the idea of getting a load of players in on loan being the great solution some people think it is. If we end up trying to replace 3/4 loan players, plus Mina, Coleman, Allan, and maybe begovic without getting any money for any of them then it’s really not going to be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.