2021/22 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really could. He's not even close to being in that sort of bracket, I don't understand why people think he is.
Disagree mate. Defensively we are a completely different package when he plays. And it isn't just himself, it's the positive effect he has on the players around him. Honestly there is no coincidence that our downward spiral started after the Man Utd game when he came back from the International break injured.

If he doesn't extend his contract then we have no option but to sell in the summer, even though we won't get great value. We are in no position to let good players leave on free transfers. It's not even a decision.
Who do we replace him with Tim? Despite what Lanolin says we aren't bringing in anyone better or even nearly as good. It would cost a small fortune that we don't have. I really can't see us getting more than £10m for him with 1 year left on his contract. And his wages will be what, another £5/6m. Mina staying next season could be the difference between qualifying for Europe or not. If we do and prove ourselves to be a team on the up under Frank Lampard, we will probably be able to attract better players and maybe even encourage Yerry to stay.

You say we can't afford good players to leave on free transfers. I say we can't afford good players to leave full stop. If we do and we get good money for them to re-invest, well fair enough I don't like t but I can live with it. When they go for buttons, I'd much rather keep hold of them.

Disagree mate. Defensively we are a completely different package when he plays. And it isn't just himself, it's the positive effect he has on the players around him. Honestly there is no coincidence that our downward spiral started after the Man Utd game when he came back from the International break injured.
Well it is a coincidence really, demonstrably so, because he hadn't actually played in 2 of the 4 games we'd won before that anyway. That's not the point though really because I actually agree with you that he's our best defender and we play better with him in the side. The flip side to that is I think Keane and Holgate are utterly useless, so him being an improvement on them doesn't make him irreplaceable.

Genuinely, I think if you asked a panel of pundits, writers and 'proper' fans of other clubs to name the best 20 centre halves in the league, Mina wouldn't make the list. I doubt half of them would even consider him for it. On that basis, the idea we couldn't get someone even half as good is just crazy.

Him and Richarlison (potentially DCL too) are our transfer warchest for this summer. I reckon we'll get about 60m for the pair of them, up to 110m if you include DCL. Please nobody come here and claim we're getting 70m for Richarlison or 100m for DCL, ffs!

I hope we are able to sell some of our actual deadwood though, as there are about 10 players who are absolutely abysmal, and Mina, Richarlison and DCL are not in that gang.

If we could find some naive team to purchase a few of our terrible players and generated a bit of cash, it could go some way to helping Frank mould a squad of his own this summer, or at least start to.

In any case I think Mr Moshiri is going to need to put his hands in his pocket again.

Well it is a coincidence really, demonstrably so, because he hadn't actually played in 2 of the 4 games we'd won before that anyway. That's not the point though really because I actually agree with you that he's our best defender and we play better with him in the side. The flip side to that is I think Keane and Holgate are utterly useless, so him being an improvement on them doesn't make him irreplaceable.

Genuinely, I think if you asked a panel of pundits, writers and 'proper' fans of other clubs to name the best 20 centre halves in the league, Mina wouldn't make the list. I doubt half of them would even consider him for it. On that basis, the idea we couldn't get someone even half as good is just crazy.
I would argue that if you asked that question at the end of last season, rather than now when he hasn't played for 4 months, then you would have had a lot of punters choosing him in their top 20 CBs. Genuinely.

Who do we replace him with Tim? Despite what Lanolin says we aren't bringing in anyone better or even nearly as good. It would cost a small fortune that we don't have. I really can't see us getting more than £10m for him with 1 year left on his contract. And his wages will be what, another £5/6m. Mina staying next season could be the difference between qualifying for Europe or not. If we do and prove ourselves to be a team on the up under Frank Lampard, we will probably be able to attract better players and maybe even encourage Yerry to stay.

You say we can't afford good players to leave on free transfers. I say we can't afford good players to leave full stop. If we do and we get good money for them to re-invest, well fair enough I don't like t but I can live with it. When they go for buttons, I'd much rather keep hold of them.
I agree about keeping Mina if we can’t get a decent fee. But I think we will have money to spend. As we sell players and probably Richarlison or DCL or both. We are better off by over 30 mil when the out of contract players leave.

I would argue that if you asked that question at the end of last season, rather than now when he hasn't played for 4 months, then you would have had a lot of punters choosing him in their top 20 CBs. Genuinely.
You're probably right, but only 'a lot' not the majority, and only in the top 20, not in the top 10 etc. Bearing in mind top 20 only puts you in about the top 30% of PL centre halves, not the very top bracket.

I'm certainly not trying to argue that he's rubbish, he isn't at all. At his best he's very good, but he's not consistently at that level, and he misses way too many games through injury. I'd say he's better than average in the PL but not by all that much. You've said yourself elsewhere that we'd struggle to get more than £10m for him which says it all for me; if he was as good as some people make out he is we'd be easily doubling that even with only a year left on his deal but I think you're right, that's about as much as we'd get.

Him and Richarlison (potentially DCL too) are our transfer warchest for this summer. I reckon we'll get about 60m for the pair of them, up to 110m if you include DCL. Please nobody come here and claim we're getting 70m for Richarlison or 100m for DCL, ffs!

I hope we are able to sell some of our actual deadwood though, as there are about 10 players who are absolutely abysmal, and Mina, Richarlison and DCL are not in that gang.

If we could find some naive team to purchase a few of our terrible players and generated a bit of cash, it could go some way to helping Frank mould a squad of his own this summer, or at least start to.

In any case I think Mr Moshiri is going to need to put his hands in his pocket again.
60mil for Mina & Richarlison. Personally think it will be more Ok maybe the big fees. For these level of players has dropped, also depends on the clubs interested.

I think Richarlison, will be 60. Mina at least 15. He will be well known around the continent, a big player for his country, only 27. South American players have big pull in some countries like Spain. Dan burn has just gone for 13mil ffs

DCL has a long Contract, we don’t need to sell and a few other clubs maybe interested. Utd will need a striker, City, Arsenal obviously rumoured. Arsenal just paid 50 for a CB and 72 for Pepe.

I will be disappointed if all 3 go and we get less than 140mil.

Hopefully it works both ways, with players we try the sign, with prices dropping

I think your figures are way out.
England international, goalscorer, young. Long contract. In today's market, anything less than £60m for him is having a laugh.
Richarlison similar.
It's what they are worth to us. How much will it cost to replace like for like?

If you were tasked with going and getting Kane's back up and a similar talent to Brazil's starting forward. How much would that cost?
Grealish has just gone for £100m. Is he worth it? Is he balls. But he was worth that to Villa. Same with our 2. Mina? Meh. Who knows. Could be any figure really.

And when I was 18 I wanted to marry Jenny Agutter. :)

Theres not too many better or more effective than Yerry Mina.

Major problem having a key player on a years contract and who is frequently injured and flying across the globe for internationals when hes not fully fit.

We really need to sell him and the other 2 and bring in one player for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.