Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Heath

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheedy

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Cheese footballers : others whom I didn't see, Royle, Vernon, Ball etc

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
Not sure how people can have Yakubu ahead of Lukaku?

Both played for us for 4 seasons and Yakubu played in better Everton sides finishing 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th.

Lukaku finished 5th, 11th, 11th, 7th with us.

Yakubu only had 1 season scoring over 10 goals. He got 15, 4, 5, 1. Lukaku hit 10+ every season for us with 15, 10, 18 and 25.

Yakubu 25 in 82 (0.30)
Lukaku 53 in 110 (0.48)
The comparison doesn't work because Yakubu got injured very early in the second season and wasn't the same afterwards and he might have played in a better team but it was not a more attacking one. I'd say Yakubu was better as a finisher of actual chances but Lukaku was a much better player and so more likely to score from different situations so it depends what your definition of a finisher is I guess.

The comparison doesn't work because Yakubu got injured very early in the second season and wasn't the same afterwards and he might have played in a better team but it was not a more attacking one. I'd say Yakubu was better as a finisher of actual chances but Lukaku was a much better player and so more likely to score from different situations so it depends what your definition of a finisher is I guess.
Trying to think back now to some of Yakubu's goals but other than his one at Stamford Bridge in that LC Semi Final defeat I can't think of many that weren't opportunistic tap ins. I remember him as an effective tap in merchant.

With Lukaku I'd say not only does his scoring record evidence being a better finisher (due to putting it in the back of the bet more often) but he could finish well in harder circumstances too. For example, the Chelsea QF goals after dribbling, the City away one where he tore Clichy a new one and goals like Bournemouth at home where he curled it in from quite far out.

Jelavic is also worth a shout for that half season where he scored 9 in 13. His first time finishes were top class and looked effortless. Shame he didn't continue it.

Trying to think back now to some of Yakubu's goals but other than his one at Stamford Bridge in that LC Semi Final defeat I can't think of many that weren't opportunistic tap ins. I remember him as an effective tap in merchant.

With Lukaku I'd say not only does his scoring record evidence being a better finisher (due to putting it in the back of the bet more often) but he could finish well in harder circumstances too. For example, the Chelsea QF goals after dribbling, the City away one where he tore Clichy a new one and goals like Bournemouth at home where he curled it in from quite far out.

Jelavic is also worth a shout for that half season where he scored 9 in 13. His first time finishes were top class and looked effortless. Shame he didn't continue it.
Thats exactly what I said! Lukaku scored from more difficult situations because he was a better player but I would back Yakubu more in a one on one or to score when given a good chance so it depends what you think of as a finisher.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back