Your stance on Martinez AND what would change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianefc

Player Valuation: £70m
I'm genuinely interested to know people's current stance on the Martinez/Everton situation, I thought rather than do yet another poll (which even I can accept can be mainly reactionary and shouldn't be done in the heat of the moment) I would ask where you are at with Martinez? Whether it be totally fed up to thinking he is doing just fine. Then I'm interested to know what would change your mind? This works both ways and if you're 50/50 on him what would sway you either way?

This thread is not intended to slag Martinez off nor the 'plotters'

More a chance for us all as individuals to show we can be reasonable one way or the other.

Lost my rag with him, but honestly can't see who we would get to replace him now. Keep till summer and see who's available I think, now the rage from the other night has subsided.

Sack him in the summer. We are going to have serious money come our way this summer, and we should be using it in order to get a top, top manager. We shouldn't be settling for the likes of Martinez with the money at our disposal.

He is already the 6th best paid manager in the Premier League, and the 14th best paid manager in world football, and yet he is taking us to the bottom half. We have an opportunity to attract a really good manager, but at the moment this opportunity is being wasted.

I'll admit that I never wanted him, never thought he was up to the job, he made me look a tit in his first season, now all the stats that have been banded about by myself and others prove that things aren't great at the moment.

To change my stance it will now take a massive swing in results, over the past 18 months (61 games) we have averaged 1.25 points per game, to hit 60 points we need 31 points from 15 games which is just a shade I've 2 points per game. If he can do that then I have to give him credit. Also if he wins the FA cup that would be fantastic.

Lost my patience with him repeating the same mistakes a while ago. Would like him to go in the summer. However a strong run of wins with a few clean sheets and id believe hes learnt and adapted and would trust him with another year

I'm fed up and if he doesn't have the brains to sort our defending out then the club has to be looking at other managers.

He's staying until the end of the season, that's near enough guaranteed, no way Kenwright will sack him.

No point in doing anything else as nothing will come of it.

So whatever your opinion is of him, support him for the rest of the season and then we can all reassess then.

It seems clear that he is a very stubborn manager who won't admit his 'philosophy ' ( I despise that term in football ) has serious flaws. If he doesn't admit this and try and rectify it by May then he should be sacked .

We have a so called golden generation of talent here that could flourish with the right man in charge . I used to think that was Martinez, now I'm not so sure.

Stance: Out. At the end of the season if we remain mid-table, asap if we start to dance with relegation.

Change: Drop Howard, stop shipping goals, get in a replacement for Naismith, win at least ten of our remaining games and finish an absolute minimum of fifth next season.

He's had time to get it right. All he's done is shown that his first season was a blip his true level of management is a bottom-half standard.

Okay mate, decent thread idea I think.

Trying to stay away from discussion re. Martinez, i think you all know my views...

I'm behind him.

I don't agree with all of his decisions (Howard etc., certain tactics), but I also see the logic in a lot of the decisions as well (e.g. bringing on Kone the other night in an attempt to help Rom out).

I think that, taking into our account of goals scored in the last 18 months (127 from 80 games in all comps) as well as goals conceded (109 in 80), it is obvious that, fundamentally, he needs to change the defensive structure somehow.

I think that he has shown signs of that since the turn of the year.

I cite:

- Spurs at home - a solid defensive display, that at first negated our attacking. We mixed it up in the second half and in the end were unlucky not to get a winner. Fair result.

- City at home (lg.cup) - great display all-round. No complaints.

- Dag & Red: irrelevant, really.

- City away (lg): Good defensive showing. Got away with the penalty call but equaled up for the one against Stoke that cost us the point at least. Only team to keep a clean sheet vs City since Jan.15.

- Chelsea: Good 1st half, great start to the second. Had a bad five minutes and conceded twice, which is worrying, but away from home against the champions also should be taken into account. Re-grouped, scored and attempted to kill the game. Would have won it if the officials had done their job.

- Swansea: Really bad first half, worst we've been all season. Came out renewed in the second half, but couldn't get the goals. Besic going off injured hurt us.

- City: Went with a game plan and executed it well for 70 minutes. Another very bad piece of officiating and then the inevitable collapse came/City had the quality to take advantage. Should not be used against RM. Best side in the country on paper and they showed it.

So, I believe in those five matches that counted so far this month, we've shown signs of improving in defence. Little signs, but signs none-the-less. The trick is quite clearly being able to combine a solid defence with an attacking display we know we are capable of.

For example, we have done this on a few occasions and have waltzed to victories looking unplayable at times.

- Sotton away, Chelsea at home, Boro away in the quarter final, to an extent Villa and Sunderland.

I believe that the attacking displays (40 goals scored already in PL, compared to 48 total last season in PL) show definite improvement. Our defence still has a lot of catching up to do. We have conceded 45 in total in all comps this term, and scored 53.

For all the complaints about not winning games, we have also only lost 6 in total in all comps this term. We have won 11. Not good enough, no, but then again the results have not always reflected the performances, due to a combination of the points I have listed above.

In conclusion, I believe Martinez is currently the right man for the job. This is based on the above, what we have seen he can do in his first season in charge, and that it is the middle of the season. We are also playing the best football I have ever seen Everton play, and I believe it is some of the most exciting attacking football currently being played in the supposed best league in the world.

I am not steadfast in my support. I will criticise when I believe he/the team deserves it - his refusal to not play Joel in the league being a prime example. Coming into this season I expected a top 6/7 finish. I would have been happy with a cup and top 10. Being realistic, I still think both are achievable.

My opinion will change if we start to lose games consecutively in the league heading into the key part of the season. We have 45 points available. I'd like to think if it clicks we can pick up around 30 and get well over 50 points. If we do not reach this mark, and we have not won the cup, then summer would be the time to re-assess and see where we are at, and whether it would be better to go for a manager who has the know-how and style to take this team where it can get to, even if some of the players do leave. However, at this point in the season, I do not believe any of those managers are available/would leave their current job to take over us.

At the end of the day, we all want Everton to achieve. And i'm not looking for any debate on Martinez, as that is for the other thread. The above is my opinion.

EDIT: I also want to add, that I believe our results will improve a lot when McCarthy returns to full fitness, with Besic ideally able to slot in as well.

Last edited:
Fa cup or at least 10 wins out of 16 or sack him.

He needs to show he can have us winning games at the very least to have any chance of winning people.back over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back