Patterson—Tarkowski—Brainthwaite-McNeil

Harrison—Onana—Garner—Danjuma

———-——Beto——DCL—————-

is this totally insane:

————————-Pickford—————

———-——Beto——DCL—————-
Anything for a W mate... I think McNeil played wingback and Myko LCB for some parts of the last game so might work you never know.

is this totally insane:

————————-Pickford—————

———-——Beto——DCL—————-
You might end up with both wingers drifting inside and trying occupy the same space as Beto and DCL when we're attacking.

is this totally insane:

————————-Pickford—————

———-——Beto——DCL—————-
No not totally insane.

But maybe this is more realistic:

----------------Pickford----
Patterson Tarkowski Branthwaite Myko
Harrison Garner Onana McNeil
----------------Danjuma
--------------------------Beto

I don’t think that would work, Onana isn’t a holding midfielder, he’s more of a box-box.
And I believe we need 4 central midfielders in a box to give the right balance between defence and attack. 2 are needed to defend the back 3 and 2 are needed to press the opposition, create attacks, make runs into the box etc.

Onana has always played as a holding midfield anchor. He still does for Belgium.

I think Onana is the only Central Midfielder with the quality to play slide-rule, defence splitting passes.

You say regularly defence splitting passes

I maybe have seen a couple since he arrived, so I think your comment is way way off the mark

I would be happy if he started chasing people and throwing tackles in…. He could then maybe build on that

Let’s be honest here, he shows very little of anything

Iwobi created 4 big chances* last season.

Onana is already on the same amount this season.

*chances where a goal is expected.

Onana has always played as a holding midfield anchor. He still does for Belgium.

I honestly must of missed these balls….

is this totally insane:

————————-Pickford—————

———-——Beto——DCL—————-
I've always said McNeil would be a full back for a more progressive team. He is not a modern day winger.

Unfortunately he's our best creative player by a mile right now.

I’ve never seen him play for Belgium. But whenever I’ve seen him play for Everton he has a habit of drifting forward and leaving a gap, which isn’t ideal for a sitting/holding midfielder. Again, maybe he has been instructed to do so by Dyche? I’d try putting a midfielder to sit behind him and give him license to roam and see if he can have more of an impact on games. He does play some lovely weighted passing.

4231 would be my pick given what we have:

Pickford
Coleman Tarks Branthwaite Mykolenko
Garner Onana
Danjuma Dele McNeil
Beto

McNeil can drop in to make a 4321 when needed (which would be most of the time). And yes, I'd give Dele a go once fit. 50% Dele is better than what we have.

Anyone who thinks Dyche will change tactics and formation is deluded, he plays exactly the same every week without fail.
Christ we have had Young on set pieces all season watching them go straight into the keepers Arms, sat was no different, so changing tactics and formation not a chance

4231 would be my pick given what we have:

Pickford
Coleman Tarks Branthwaite Mykolenko
Garner Onana
Danjuma Dele McNeil
Beto

McNeil can drop in to make a 4321 when needed (which would be most of the time). And yes, I'd give Dele a go once fit. 50% Dele is better than what we have.
I think it's becoming more apparent with every passing week that we can't afford to pay the 10M for Dele.

I don't understand why we even played with wingers against Arsenal, the game completely passed them by. Go 5 at the back and 2 up top if you're going to aimlessly lump it and bypass the dreadful, non-existent midfield:

Pickford
Patterson - Coleman - Branthwaite - Tarkowski - Mykolenko
Garner - Onana
Djanjuma
Beto - DCL

I’ve never seen him play for Belgium. But whenever I’ve seen him play for Everton he has a habit of drifting forward and leaving a gap, which isn’t ideal for a sitting/holding midfielder. Again, maybe he has been instructed to do so by Dyche? I’d try putting a midfielder to sit behind him and give him license to roam and see if he can have more of an impact on games. He does play some lovely weighted passing.
Onana definitely needs someone playing immediately next to him, he is not ready for the sole anchor job (6 or no 6) at Everton yet. He made two crucial errors yesterday leading to the RB being caught out yesterday (not playing to the whistle for that off-side call and that misplaced pass to young which led to young's card), he needs a small period of time for himself to figure things out about his Everton role and not the Belgium one.

Status
Not open for further replies.