2021/22 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offload him to who hahaha? Who is going to want to buy a player who has played about 3 games in 2 and a half years?

Well that is the question isn't it.

Is there anyone willing to take a chance on someone who at one point was highly rated despite the injuries?

Seen Fenerbahce were linked, doubt there is anything in it. Maybe a loan back to Germany until the end of the season?

Not sure I see or agree with this conclusion. No doubt our medical dept is far from perfect, but I don't buy the idea that JPG has simply been "unlucky" or "mismanaged" either. Some people say the fact he didn't miss many games for Mainz is proof of either of those two things, but I wonder if it's more the opposite: he has significant muscle issues/injury proneness that was missed at the time of signing, and if anything, it's more a miracle his injury record wasn't worse previously (albeit in a less physical league). Either way, the lad has cost the club what must be around £35-40m in fee/wages for a couple of games in 3 years?! There surely can't be a player in the league who has been out for longer.

His initial injury came about because Silva threw him straight in despite the player himself saying he wasn't up to speed after a full 18-19 season followed by the AFCON.

That injury should have kept him out for 6 weeks, if they had done what they should have done and operated. They didn't, they pushed him back into training and it flared up and he needed 6 months out.

Then he was unlucky with an Achilles injury, and then they were understandably careful with that. He then finally comes back in April only to get fallen on in training. That is bad luck.

However, at no point this season or last have we used the U23s, bar one game, to get him some gametime. So of course he's going to be way off the pace completely because he's hardly played.

It's complete mismanagement. Benitez clearly didn't trust him to come on on Saturday. Well why hasn't the lad been playing with the U23s to get his minutes up?

His initial injury came about because Silva threw him straight in despite the player himself saying he wasn't up to speed after a full 18-19 season followed by the AFCON.

That injury should have kept him out for 6 weeks, if they had done what they should have done and operated. They didn't, they pushed him back into training and it flared up and he needed 6 months out.

Then he was unlucky with an Achilles injury, and then they were understandably careful with that. He then finally comes back in April only to get fallen on in training. That is bad luck.

However, at no point this season or last have we used the U23s, bar one game, to get him some gametime. So of course he's going to be way off the pace completely because he's hardly played.

It's complete mismanagement. Benitez clearly didn't trust him to come on on Saturday. Well why hasn't the lad been playing with the U23s to get his minutes up?
Back in the good old days of reserve team football a lot of those that were not playing in the first team would play in the reserves with the idea being that they would keep up a level of match fitness, but this seems to not happen anymore. I know the thought behind renaming the reserves as U23s was an attempt to give younger players a stepping stone to the first team, but if you have players on tens of thousands a week why not play them in the U23s? Your allowed a certain number of overage players per game.

Back in the good old days of reserve team football a lot of those that were not playing in the first team would play in the reserves with the idea being that they would keep up a level of match fitness, but this seems to not happen anymore. I know the thought behind renaming the reserves as U23s was an attempt to give younger players a stepping stone to the first team, but if you have players on tens of thousands a week why not play them in the U23s? Your allowed a certain number of overage players per game.

I know mate, I used to go and watch Leeds reserves when I was younger as they played down at the local rugby league ground in Wakefield. Saw Everton play (got Moyes and my dad mixed up!), Villa (when they had Crouch playing for their reserves) and Newcastle off the top of my head. Bobby Robson was there watching on, as he would be.

It's ludicrous how crap our U23 set up is, all garnered to the success of one coach in the academy who's got a cushty job for life, but also it has to come from Benitez surely - he clearly didn't trust Gbamin on Saturday so at least let the lad play some minutes in a bid towards getting up to speed.

Offload him to who hahaha? Who is going to want to buy a player who has played about 3 games in 2 and a half years?

I saw a Everton youtube channel reviewing Brands time with us, and one lad was very generous in his appraisal.

Said Gbamin was a successful signing cause we'll get most of his fee back. Was aghast.

How does insurance work on footballers surely we must be getting some insurance money if the lad has been broken for so many years now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.