2021/22 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the good old days of reserve team football a lot of those that were not playing in the first team would play in the reserves with the idea being that they would keep up a level of match fitness, but this seems to not happen anymore. I know the thought behind renaming the reserves as U23s was an attempt to give younger players a stepping stone to the first team, but if you have players on tens of thousands a week why not play them in the U23s? Your allowed a certain number of overage players per game.
Is right @Timbucktoo , reserve football was a competitive league. That was a real mixture of newly signed players 'blending' in ( no such stupidity of transfer windows), of players of all ages coming back from injury etc; of promising younger players etc; etc; many of which were internationals, It was a real test of a players mental and physical strength as well as speed, fitness and talent.
But that is 'so yesterday darling'. Rubbish! What it was, was a really good indicator as to the progress of an individual in the 'real' game and NOT just how they fare against someone of their own age. A litmus test to assess progress.

I see that it wasn’t him but it is the sort of thing he would say (as he busily alienated fans, players and employees) whilst dragging the club towards administration.
I am not denying @DanEFC92 is referring to a different broadcast to the one I am thinking about, as he would be correct, and I wouldn't.
However, if memory serves (which is a rarity these days), whist not trying to besmirch the name of your club @Alan Whittle , I feel sure I did see a piece just before transfer deadline with him saying roughly the same. I nearly chocked on my muesli.

I am not denying @DanEFC92 is referring to a different broadcast to the one I am thinking about, as he would be correct, and I wouldn't.
However, if memory serves (which is a rarity these days), whist not trying to besmirch the name of your club @Alan Whittle , I feel sure I did see a piece just before transfer deadline with him saying roughly the same. I nearly chocked on my muesli.
Anything he says now is treated with a mixture of contempt and humour by most Palace fans I know. He does, through his talk carp show, profess to be some kind of football finance whizz kid where in actual fact he blew all his dough on Palace and still took us into administration.

Anything he says now is treated with a mixture of contempt and humour by most Palace fans I know. He does, through his talk carp show, profess to be some kind of football finance whizz kid where in actual fact he blew all his dough on Palace and still took us into administration.
Er, twice wasn't it? Or is once again my memory finally giving in to a surfeit too far of the famous Grunswick Flyers Rat and Rhubarb linctus.

Er, twice wasn't it? Or is once again my memory finally giving in to a surfeit too far of the famous Grunswick Flyers Rat and Rhubarb linctus.
We were in admin twice (2000 & 2010). He brought us out of admin in 2000 for very little, spent £30m (all) of his own money in destroying the fabric and infrastructure of the club, alienating everyone while telling anyone who would listen how badly everyone was running football and what it needed (him, basically, in his opinion). Took us back into admin and to this day holds a grudge against the group that brought the club out of admin (for not much) for not buying it off him (for much more). On a popularity list of ten past Palace owners he would be about twenty third.

hamlet_01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.