The Everton Board Thread

Loved Sharp as a player, would be no 9 all day long in my all time Everton team, but didn't like the way he sometimes spoke to Blues on phone-ins, particulary those, like me, who were fiercely critical of BK and the hapless boards we've been lumbered with over the years.

This just smacks of another Kenwright-inspired appointment of another one to blow smoke up his fat arse.

So in this 'strategic review' has so far heralded Brands losing his job, a manager taking us backwards getting more power, that odious turd Kenwright still clinging on to his beloved Chairmans seat and a yes man appointed to the board. Great, just great.

Only at Everton.
After Everton put in that fictional bid for Alan Smith (Leeds version) after he’d already agreed to go to Man U I rang the phone in at Legends and took the mick out if the club. He got very snotty with me and made a right knob of himself.

People were calling in all night telling him what a knob he’d been, even Gary Owen and Micky Thomas agreed with me.

He’s basically Smithers to Kenwright’s Burms.

After Everton put in that fictional bid for Alan Smith (Leeds version) after he’d already agreed to go to Man U I rang the phone in at Legends and took the mick out if the club. He got very snotty with me and made a right knob of himself.

People were calling in all night telling him what a knob he’d been, even Gary Owen and Micky Thomas agreed with me.

He’s basically Smithers to Kenwright’s Burms.

Doesn't suprise me that. He actually banned my texts from being read out by Mickey T for my criticisms of BK and the Everton board around the mid to late 2000s when he was on that particular phone-in.

He also cut me off for criticising Simon Davies after yet another anonymous 'performance' from him during his time here. To be honest Davies was getting hammered off Blues also on that phone-in perhaps I was the one which broke the camels back! But Sharp wouldn't have a bad word said about that truely awful, waste of space player.

Sharpy wouldnt be in his current/previous positions at the club if he was anything other than a yes man. He's not getting a role in the board to run a critical eye over things. No doubt it will play well with a section of fans and is some positive media no doubt.

If the club really wanted an ex player to contribute to the board they should've asked Nev.

If someone can please explain how you can say you're carrying out or going to carry out a strategic review of the business and then hire someone to one of the highest positions in the club but say it's nothing to do with the review just blows my mind.

Why do we continually hire ex players. Baffling.
In this instance, I believe they believe by putting a successful player who played under a true blue manager Kendall (our most successful manger) in the boardroom with them, it will detract criticism away from their choice of current manger. They really don't understand swathes of the fan base.

Not sure Sharp fits the description of a Non Executive Director...

Non-executive directors (NEDs) are not employees of the company and are not involved in its day-to-day running. They usually have full-time jobs elsewhere, or may sometimes be prominent individuals from public life. The non-executive directors usually receive a flat fee for their services, and are engaged under a contract for service (civil contract, similar to that used to hire a consultant).

NEDs should provide a balancing influence and help to minimise conflicts of interest. The Higgs Report, published in 2003, summarised their role as:

• to contribute to the strategic plan
  • to scrutinise the performance of the executive directors
  • to provide an external perspective on risk management
  • to deal with people issues, such as the future shape of the board and resolution of conflicts.
The majority of non-executive directors should be independent. Factors to be considered in assessing their independence include their business, financial and other commitments, other shareholdings and directorships and involvement in businesses connected to the company. However, holding shares in the company does not necessarily compromise independence.

Non-executive directors should have high ethical standards and act with integrity and probity. They should support the executive team and monitor its conduct, demonstrating a willingness to listen, question, debate and challenge.

Non-executive directors (NEDs) are not employees of the company and are not involved in its day-to-day running. They usually have full-time jobs elsewhere, or may sometimes be prominent individuals from public life. The non-executive directors usually receive a flat fee for their services, and are engaged under a contract for service (civil contract, similar to that used to hire a consultant).

NEDs should provide a balancing influence and help to minimise conflicts of interest. The Higgs Report, published in 2003, summarised their role as:

• to deal with people issues, such as the future shape of the board and resolution of conflicts.
The majority of non-executive directors should be independent. Factors to be considered in assessing their independence include their business, financial and other commitments, other shareholdings and directorships and involvement in businesses connected to the company. However, holding shares in the company does not necessarily compromise independence.

Non-executive directors should have high ethical standards and act with integrity and probity. They should support the executive team and monitor its conduct, demonstrating a willingness to listen, question, debate and challenge.

Indeed…

Excellent post... and immediately casts doubt as to the validity of Graeme Sharp being elevated to this new role.

Make no mistake, Sharpie as a player was brilliant and after a rocky start became a major, major part in all the mid-80s success - but, in my opinion, that's nowhere near enough qualification to become a non-executive director.

It's been rumoured that she's allegedly seeking employment elsewhere.

And the Articles of Association do not permit less than three members on the Board... so a fourth (GS in this potential case) has to be in place before anyone departs.

Thanks Andy. Personally I will help packing her boxes when she moves out. She should be running a charity or care home, not EFC……

It's been rumoured that she's allegedly seeking employment elsewhere.

And the Articles of Association do not permit less than three members on the Board... so a fourth (GS in this potential case) has to be in place before anyone departs.
If we have had to give an ex-player a position on the board just to make up the numbers, then I am starting to doubt the business acumen of moshiri and usmanov.