2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely.

The overrating of Koeman…the illogical, mad pursuit of Marco…the crazy decision to appoint Benitez.

All those decisions lay with the Board…or more specifically Moshiri.
The above and all the other daft decisions are the main cause
VAR, poor, nay incompetent, Referees on the day and Lampards seeming continued odd selections and late changes* are just symptoms and side issues - very important on the day obvs, but it all stems from the top.

*Gomes may have been the best of a bad bunch, the bench seems a mixture of the physically half fit who can't play and the mentally unfit who won't play...Alli,** VdB.

**Alli may be both (some at Spurs might...allegedly...make a 'likes a tipple or 3 motion with hand' - but who knows)***

***He may yet score the crucial goal Vs Palace or Arsenal...somebody needs to ffs - why not him

Edit: Re. DCL; I think he got cramp and should play Vs Palace...will he be put in the shop window or rested Vs Arsenal???

Last edited:

What more could Frank have done?

We had just 10 men for 70-odd minutes against a decent side who put four past Chelsea last month.

The players fought like tigers but ultimately no team could have held on today.

The big worry is that we have just one central defender in the squad who’s not injured or suspended.

Things seemed to be going so well. The crowd was spurring us on and we were dominating and then the red card happened (after Richarlison was fouled in their box for the first time) and the crowd suddenly went quiet, understandably so.

This is 100% on Benitez. I have never seen morale around the club as low as it was by the time he got sacked. Bin him a few months - or even weeks earlier, we eek out the one more win it would have taken us to get to safety.

That appointment could truly haunt this club for a long, long time. We should never let Moshiri get away with what he’s done here.

Anyone who has been at the club for 5 minutes should know that Gomes cannot play in a 2 man midfield.
You have to question Lampard as manager on that basis alone.
How many matches under him have we been overrun in midfield?
Worse was leaving Gomes on the pitch when we went down to 10. For heaven's sake, when Italy went down to 10 versus Norway at the 1994 World Cup - and were on the verge of elimination having already lost 1-0 to Ireland - the great Arrigo Sacchi immediately substituted Roberto Baggio who was the best player in the world at the time. Why? He needed more legs and energy. Italy won 1-0. Lampard leaving Gomes on was disastrous management. If he could be excused waiting until half-time, there was no excuse whatsoever for allowing him to return to the pitch at the start of the second half.

Worse was leaving Gomes on the pitch when we went down to 10. For heaven's sake, when Italy went down to 10 versus Norway at the 1994 World Cup - and were on the verge of elimination having already lost 1-0 to Ireland - the great Arrigo Sacchi immediately substituted Roberto Baggio who was the best player in the world at the time. Why? He needed more legs and energy. Italy won 1-0. Lampard leaving Gomes on was disastrous management. If he could be excused waiting until half-time, there was no excuse whatsoever for allowing him to return to the pitch at the start of the second half.
If only Gomes were fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Baggio in any other context!

Anyone who has been at the club for 5 minutes should know that Gomes cannot play in a 2 man midfield.
Who else would you have played considering allan has a knock

What more could Frank have done?

We had just 10 men for 70-odd minutes against a decent side who put four past Chelsea last month.

The players fought like tigers but ultimately no team could have held on today.

The big worry is that we have just one central defender in the squad who’s not injured or suspended.

Things seemed to be going so well. The crowd was spurring us on and we were dominating and then the red card happened (after Richarlison was fouled in their box for the first time) and the crowd suddenly went quiet, understandably so.

I think the idea that playing with ten men against Brentford guarantees defeat shows how poor we are. I didn't want everyone to go chasing the ball but we shouldn't have been as deep as we were. With a bit more pressure I think Brentford would've struggled to get into the positions they did to score and create chances. Iwobi into midfield should've been done at half time in hindsight.

I think the decision to start Gomes was fine
If honest I think he should of been taken off at half time and replaced by Allan

Simply as we knew what was coming our way 2nd half

Status
Not open for further replies.