Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what we really need to ask. Does he play many games in a season (not injury prone)? Does he make many mistakes in matches? Is he consistent?
Hes averaged 36 games a season the last few seasons, not injury prone, the stats say he made the same amount of mistakes leading to a goal that our defenders did last season, which was 2. As for his consistency I couldnt say, I dont watch Burnley.

Last edited:
Hes averaged 36 games a season the last few seasons, not injury prone, the stats say he made the same amount of mistakes leading to a goal that our defenders did last season, which was 2. As for his consistency I couldnt say, I dont watch Burnley.
I find that statistic baffling. We conceded 66 goals last year and our defenders only managed to make mistakes leading to 2 of them? Or 2 of them each? That's what? 10 goals or so?

Are they saying a mistake leading to a goal means the player literally gave the ball to the goalscorer and they don't count the mistakes that led to a pass before a goal?

What a terrible short sighted signing this would be. 30 not long into the season and we’d be stuck with huge wages for 3/4 years. So unimaginative, what do the scouts do!?

Burnley, the most protected centre backs in the league. Full backs who never go past the half way line, a midfield four who never get caught ahead of the ball - clear, head, block, hoof repeat. Suits Tarkowski (in fact any centre back who can head a ball and defend the box down to the ground).

He’ll be moving to a team that gives their centre backs the least protection in the league, left completely exposed game after game and people think he’ll come in and perform just like he has at Burnley?

Give me a break, 100k a week? Deserve everything we get. Utter pish the guy, no better than what we have - albeit he can actually defend and head so maybe slightly better than Godfrey or Holgate.
Distin never done to bad

I find that statistic baffling. We conceded 66 goals last year and our defenders only managed to make mistakes leading to 2 of them? Or 2 of them each? That's what? 10 goals or so?

Are they saying a mistake leading to a goal means the player literally gave the ball to the goalscorer and they don't count the mistakes that led to a pass before a goal?
Thats something you will have to ask the Premier League.

mista.jpg

True but I don't apply the age rules to the position of CB, age doesn't bother me in that position at all.
I disagree there. If we're talking about top class defenders, those that read the game so well that they see the danger before it occurs, then yes their age doesn't matter up to a point.

If we are talking about your "common garden" mid table defender then it absolutely does matter. If your defender is playing in a side that isn't up to snuff then they have to have that extra turn of pace to make recovery runs.

A player like Alessandro Nesta didn't have to make recovery runs because the teams he played in were so good they didn't make those kind of mistakes and he was already 3 steps ahead of the opposition.

As an athlete gets older they just lose that explosive power that's required for quick acceleration. Jagielka was still able to clock up impressive sprint speeds into his 30s but he lost the power of acceleration and that's key in football.

So if you watch the goals in the Burnley game where Burnley beat Everton 3-2, the last goal that Burnley scored was through an error (Godfrey) leading to a goal. That is a classic example.

Status
Not open for further replies.