2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been posted by others...

1: Its a 343 formation.

2: We have several key injuries.

3: Coady, Tarkowski, Patterson, McNeil and Onana are new players who need to gel with others and vice versa.

4: Weve been actively trying to bring in a DM and a CF. It would be a surprise if they arent signed by the end of the window.

5: If you swapped Gray for an effective player we'd now be on 2-4pts.

6: The recruitment has been great so far. Lampard/Thelwell are building with a strategy in mind.

This season is Year 1 in a total rebuild of the team, squad and footballing side of the club. Patience is needed and I think we end up mid table but would take 17th as long as theres a clear strategy underpinned with young players developed.

Lampard has a free pass for me.

Wouldnt say a free pass. But rest i more or less think is correct.
What you hope for is we are not wasting our time. This club was/is in such a mess i think its minimum 3 years to even start turning things around. The striker options right now are probably the worst in bloody Europe let alone England. So as much as its about building we still need to be competitive. Get that done and i think we'll be ok(ish)

Been absolutely trashed by the board/owner.

Selling his main goal threat from under him to make up for the previous years of gross mismanagement.

Not having a replacement lined up before the games started. Regardless of DCL injury, we needed another CF anyway, so it should have been done by the recruitment team.

I agree with you Dave, but,I think the problem they have, is getting a club to accept one of our 'structured' transfer payment plans or a loan to buy option. Unfortunately, clubs are only really likely to go along with this towards the end of the window, when they are getting a bit worried about being stuck with a player no is not in their plans.
That's been the same for McNeil and Onana signings, but they still happened. The case for a striker was much more urgent and it hasn't been done.

Been absolutely trashed by the board/owner.

Selling his main goal threat from under him to make up for the previous years of gross mismanagement.

Not having a replacement lined up before the games started. Regardless of DCL injury, we needed another CF anyway, so it should have been done by the recruitment team.
It wasn;t from under him. He knew from the end of last season Richarlison would be going. He needed to act and secure a new attacker. His folly has been to be seduced into believing DCL was up to leading this team. He cant and he never will. For Lampard not to realise that and move on a new striker before throwing decent money at someone like McNeil is unfathomable.

Can easily see him gone by xmas if he doesn't change /get a clue about tactics, especially away from home. 2 in midfield does not work, playing a 90lb wet through winger against 2 proper centre halves didn't work last week so why try this madness again.

It wasn;t from under him. He knew from the end of last season Richarlison would be going. He needed to act and secure a new attacker. His folly has been to be seduced into believing DCL was up to leading this team. He cant and he never will. For Lampard not to realise that and move on a new striker before throwing decent money at someone like McNeil is unfathomable.
It was from under him. He didn't want to sell him. Richie was under contract. Other have made the decision over lampards head.

I do agree, Bill, Kev and Frank should have brought a striker in early. But that's not on Frank as an individual.

The team selection should have been a 5-3-2. Same back 5 , 3 in the middle (Iwobi/Doucoure/One other) Dele playing off Rondon. It was clear for everyone to see. Bring the likes of Gordon, Mcneil, Gray on as subs.
Basically how Brentford set up yesterday. Frank got it wrong yesterday but his press conference suggested he thinks he set up the team in the right way and we were just unlucky. Hope he realises and changes it next week.

Last edited:
It was from under him. He didn't want to sell him. Richie was under contract. Other have made the decision over lampards head.

I do agree, Bill, Kev and Frank should have brought a striker in early. But that's not on Frank as an individual.
He went along with it.

Look, I;m not blaming Lampard for the sale of Richarlison, but the replacement of him was down to him. He gambled on DCL being able to see us through. That gamble failed big time.

I want Lampard to succeed as much as anyone else and he's got my support. I'll be delighted if he stabilises us this season and I;m still hopeful we have an attacking player for the Forest game. But funds have been spent by him elsewhere that should have been thrown first at an attacker.

The team selection should have been a 5-3-2. Same back 5 , 3 in the middle (Iwobi/Doucoure/One other) Dele playing off Rondon. It was clear for everyone to see. Bring the likes of Gordon, Mcneil, Gray on as subs.
That system makes us weak. We dont have the players for it either in the five or in front of them.

It needs to go.

That system makes us weak. We dont have the players for it either in the five or in front of them.

It needs to go.
Clearly more solid with 3 cbs. Wide open as a 4 at the back. Maybe if we get Gana in and get Onana up and running then 4 at the back could work but not as it stands.

3: Coady, Tarkowski, Patterson, McNeil and Onana are new players who need to gel with others and vice versa.

4: Weve been actively trying to bring in a DM and a CF. It would be a surprise if they arent signed by the end of the window.

6: The recruitment has been great so far. Lampard/Thelwell are building with a strategy in mind.

This season is Year 1 in a total rebuild of the team, squad and footballing side of the club. Patience is needed and I think we end up mid table but would take 17th as long as theres a clear strategy underpinned with young players developed.

I agree with all of this, but the thing still irking me is that the club are pathetic enough to let him go to the end of the window with Rondon as his only striking option, and we all know how that ends, bottom 3 and another uphill struggle all season.

The new players you mention might eventually change the shape and mindset of this squad and we have to live in hope.

But still too much deadwood in there to really progress this season.
Doucoure, Davies, Dele, Gray and of course the likes of Gomes are IMO not going to get much better than we have seen of them for the last 2 years.

Iwobi has improved under Lampard, but let’s please remember how low the bar was set with him.

We need Gana in immediately along with a decent couple of strikers to get rid of the half arsed losing mentality that the majority of this squad carry and have done since the end of season collapse under Carlo.

He will need a striker who cam score or he will get sacked. You don't buy the likes of O'Neil when you don't have a striker. Bonkers

He will need a striker who cam score or he will get sacked. You don't buy the likes of O'Neil when you don't have a striker. Bonkers
I don’t know where the goals will come from if he insists on playing McNeil, Gordon and Gray as the front 3.

I think the recruitment is better this summer but if you're talking about a 3 year plan and building for the future. Coady and Tarkowski turn 30 this season and Gana the other big midfield target is 32.

Onana is the one more for now and the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.