2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we end up getting 50m or more then we have played this well for once. If they don't come back in I feel we have missed out on a massive opportunity and hope there are funds available for forward players.
I don't see it that way really mate, though as long as the caveat is we do get forward players in.

This time last week I don't think any of us as fans would have expected this situation to have occurred but we were all sure we'd get attackers in - sensible people just also knew that in all likelihood they would be of a certain quality/availability (your Adams, Maupays, Moffis of this world etc). I said this yesterday to another poster but IMO nothing changes in that regard right now, because as it stands Gordon is our player so we keep doing what we're doing, which is trying to bolster the squad with what funds we have.

If more funds become available in the scale that such a sale like this potential one would provide, then it would in theory open up a higher calibre of player, although of course clubs would know we'd have money to burn heading into the final two weeks of the window too.

The silence from the club is deafening.

They are making this deal no matter what
Brighton came out and insisted there was no deal for Cucurella and then sold him less than 48 hours later.

There's nothing for the club to say.

They have a valuation, they want to keep the player but nobody is priceless, especially not a lad with one decent half-season under his belt and 4 goals, 1 of which shouldn't have been his and 2 of which were huge deflections. That's not taking anything away from him, he was one of our best performers and if he stays it's fine by me. But if we've put a silly valuation on his head, and then a club wants to pay it anyway, then it is what it is.

We have literally just done exactly the same with Onana, btw.

Fabrizio Romano In an interview with GMS, he said:

“On the player side, there will be no problem, but it’s also true that Everton will fight to keep the player.

“They would love to keep him for one more season and maybe sell him next summer for a different price. So, at the moment for Gordon, this is the situation.”
Nothing indicates the lads going to suddenly find his shooting/assisting boots this season. The 50m valuation we’ve put on him means he has to start playing as a 50m player or he won’t be a 50m player by the time the seasons out. Be kicking ourselves if Chelsea walk away and we’re left with a Gordon who still has no end product come May and the ‘different price’ will be 20m less.

You know though mate I don't think many sensible people are taking this out on Gordon or saying he's forcing any move.

People are just like yeah if they do come back in - they might not do - then we should probably consider doing business. Up to the club on that side and then if Gordon is open to the move.

FWIW, there is zero chance Chelsea would have bid twice, which they have done, if the player's reps had absolutely categorically said no. Similarly, there's zero chance they'd have bid twice without knowing Everton do have a valuation on Gordon. Because no player in our squad of general tosh is priceless, and rightly so.

Ofc his agent would not be saying no mate, he gets paid a lot more if he goes, you also know well as do I that am agent will often be negotiating a fair way along without necessarily running everything past their client

Ofc his agent would not be saying no mate, he gets paid a lot more if he goes, you also know well as do I that am agent will often be negotiating a fair way along without necessarily running everything past their client
I mean most agents don't actually do business without their client knowing mate even though yes the players do not know every fine detail.

If Gordon was dead set on categorically staying at Everton (which I don't know why he would be) then he'd insist to his agent that all he wants to do is sign a new deal with Everton and not talk to Chelsea at all. Then it'd stop.

Likewise, if Everton did actually not have a valuation (which again would be mad because every player at every club in the world has a valuation) then Chelsea wouldn't be bothering testing the waters with a second bid as they have done.

Remains to be seen if they come in again. I don't think Gordon will force it. As I said last night, I imagine he's perfectly happy here. But he'd probably also be perfectly happy to go to Chelsea too. Both things can absolutely be true at once.

Nothing indicates the lads going to suddenly find his shooting/assisting boots this season. The 50m valuation we’ve put on him means he has to start playing as a 50m player or he won’t be a 50m player by the time the seasons out. Be kicking ourselves if Chelsea walk away and we’re left with a Gordon who still has no end product come May and the ‘different price’ will be 20m less.

Not saying he'll ever be even close, but just for context google Cristiano Ronaldo 2004-2006 no end product

Same stuff was labelled against him btw back then - even his teammates are on record, Giggs, Neville and others as saying they had doubts about him.

Funny thing hindsight

He has to go now in my opinion. The pressure on him if he stays will be unbearable for the lad.

Every loose pass, poorly taken corner or every time he is dispossessed there will be zero tolerance and any confidence he does have will be drained.

Just need to do the deal now.

Status
Not open for further replies.