2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few thoughts:

Fee: £50mil is incredibly poor when an inferior Belgian player 'Lavia' went for £58mil last summer. Also, Caicedo was £115mil last summer.

Not sure why people dont know how much we signed him for, £33mil + 20% of profit to Lille.

Everton £46.6mil
Lille: £3.4mil

His book value will be around £19.8mil so its approx £26.8mil pure PSR profit + his wages.

Some posters are commenting that he wasn't very good at the euros. However, i heard a little birdie tell me that L'equipe had him in their team of the group stage. His ratings were also usually 2nd to only De Bruyne.

Other posts complain about a defensive midfielder not scoring many goals. Dont remember too many saying this about Busquets or Makelele.

Some saying he didnt play end of the season yet he bossed both Sheffield United and Arsenal in the final two games.

Villa: Monchi & Emery breaking the Villa transfer record to play him in his natural 6 anchor position which we have done maximum 4 times.

Iroegbunam replaces him in the squad. A year older than Onana was when he joined. Perhaps also Doucoure moves deeper like under Ancelotti. Big pressure on Iroegbunam to prove that he wasnt solely a PSR signing.

On paper he and the Chelsea player on loan (with a view to buy?) could be forward thinking, until you see this: https://www.transfermarkt.com/lesley-ugochukwu/verletzungen/spieler/711999

Hopefully the fee includes installments to at least take this over £60mil. So far it looks to be appalling business.

Next surely must be DCL, Maupay, Keane and Holgate.
You can only sell to a club willing to buy.
There just was no interest in Onana otherwise we might have sold for a higher fee.
Bayern went for a different player, Arsenal clearly are not interested and Barca are penniless.

Gana is 35 in september, for me last season he was below average aside from the last half a dozen games. Many posters (including me) thought he was finished and were saying his legs had gone before we used Onana & Garner together.

Garner I like as a good all rounder but its comical to compare him with Onana. In an ideal world we'd have superior midfielders and he'd be a player to rotate.

I think expecting Onana to "dominate" as an anchor midfielder playing as a central midfielder is bizarre to be honest.

"Gash", if only he'd run around alot eh...

We can only hope that the benefits of selling Godfrey, Onana and Dobbin allow us to bring in 3 young starting players who can quickly take us up the table.

At this point we really need to have half a team for the long term in place. Hopefully this is achieved over the summer window.

So far, i'm not impressed.

Gana was boss, broke up play time after time, got forward when he could, high energy. Now if only Gana could have waved his arms around a lot in the direction of us fans and slapped the Everton badge on his shirt...

…..I’ve said it plenty, Onana is a fine player but it’s his lack of application that’s his problem. It’s what makes him a sellable asset, a player we can sell and reinvest without weakening the team. It’s nothing to do with where he plays, he’s unreliable and that’s why he found himself on the bench at times.

When you see him go down injured and teammates surround him convincing him to stay on the pitch, when you read about him asking to come off at half-time in games you understand the issue. Now consider Branthwaite’s application.

I had big hopes for him last season but he was so disappointing. I have absolutely no issue with him leaving but we need an effective replacement.

Last edited:
Gana is 35 in september, for me last season he was below average aside from the last half a dozen games. Many posters (including me) thought he was finished and were saying his legs had gone before we used Onana & Garner together.

Garner I like as a good all rounder but its comical to compare him with Onana. In an ideal world we'd have superior midfielders and he'd be a player to rotate.

I think expecting Onana to "dominate" as an anchor midfielder playing as a central midfielder is bizarre to be honest.

"Gash", if only he'd run around alot eh...

We can only hope that the benefits of selling Godfrey, Onana and Dobbin allow us to bring in 3 young starting players who can quickly take us up the table.

At this point we really need to have half a team for the long term in place. Hopefully this is achieved over the summer window.

So far, i'm not impressed.
OK Zat give me one game in the full 2 years where he put in a Man of the match performance?

This window is not going to solve every problem we have i would expect another cm to come in to replace onana now. Gana will hopefully helps players like tim and the other cm settle into the club then start to rotate him with them. Hate this talk of not impressed so far club has done a good job so far ofc we all would like more but has been decent so far. I expect more movement from the club now because of the onana sale

In isolation, moving Dobbin out and bringing Iroegbunam was a clever move.

Selling Godfrey with 12months left and (apparently) him also rejecting an extension was decent at £11mil.

Aside from those two moves I see weve signed a player who did well in the championship and wanted to jump ship to his boyhood side (Marseille) rather than playing in the premier league. He's clearly flopped due to not being used in that Support Striker (Doucoure) role.

Is he someone i'm excited about at 24 with one great season in the championship behind him? Not particularly.

Are these moves that can be seen as "impressive"? Maybe for some but not for me until I see how the rest of the window pans out...

ACM: N'diaye, Doucoure, Dele

CM: Gana, Garner, Iroegbunam

LM: McNeil

RM: Harrison

Looking at that, I'm not sure what there is to be impressed about...

...so far.

Don’t see a problem with the fee really, would have liked it to be higher of course but realistically he hasn’t done enough to justify it (using other players as benchmarks doesn’t work - each player is only worth what someone is willing to pay/the selling club is willing to accept).

I can absolutely see the argument he might be a 75m+ world beater in a few years because he very well might be, has all the tools if he applies himself. But can anyone honestly say he’s a £50m player to us, right now?

Not even close in my opinion, we can do a lot more with the 50 than he will do for us on the pitch. Complete opposite to Branthwaite really, his impact is nearly priceless for us as it pretty much secured us PL status last year.

Suspect we’ll be in for Amir Richardson now if they’re looking for the same profile player.

50 million plus for him is excellent business and we could easily replace what he’s offered the team at a fraction of the cost whilst also improving other areas we desperately need to. Has very good potential and 1 in 5 games he’ll look very good but for a 50 million plus player you want far more.

He could have left when we looked certs for relegation but he chose to stay and fight so wish the guy the best except when he’s playing against us

As for villa they’re a good club, fans sound and a brilliant manager. Doing exactly what our aim should be and that’s sticking it to the sky 6 and the gimps in charge of the prem trying to always keep the big 6 as the big 6.

You can only sell to a club willing to buy.
There just was no interest in Onana otherwise we might have sold for a higher fee.
Bayern went for a different player, Arsenal clearly are not interested and Barca are penniless.

Time will tell if we use the money wisely. Or if we should not have sold him for this fee.

Gana was boss, broke up play time after time, got forward when he could, high energy. Now if only Gana could have waved his arms around a lot in the direction of us fans and slapped the Everton badge on his shirt...

You're saying for the entire season "Gana was boss"?

So why did he play less than Garner and Onana?

Could it have been because he was not "boss" and many posters wanted him out of the team and his legs had gone?

OK Zat give me one game in the full 2 years where he put in a Man of the match performance?

As a midfield anchor, his actual position? Where he was 'never' used?

Or in the ropey midfield setup Dyche plays? I dont know about motm out of position but our last two games he was excellent against Sheffield United and Arsenal.

50 million plus for him is excellent business and we could easily replace what he’s offered the team at a fraction of the cost whilst also improving other areas we desperately need to. Has very good potential and 1 in 5 games he’ll look very good but for a 50 million plus player you want far more.

He could have left when we looked certs for relegation but he chose to stay and fight so wish the guy the best except when he’s playing against us

As for villa they’re a good club, fans sound and a brilliant manager. Doing exactly what our aim should be and that’s sticking it to the sky 6 and the gimps in charge of the prem trying to always keep the big 6 as the big 6.
Villa look a very well structured club ,good financial backing a dof who knows his way around and a top coach/manager

Time will tell if we use the money wisely. Or if we should not have sold him for this fee.

You're saying for the entire season "Gana was boss"?

So why did he play less than Garner and Onana?

Could it have been because he was not "boss" and many posters wanted him out of the team and his legs had gone?

As a midfield anchor, his actual position? Where he was 'never' used?

Or in the ropey midfield setup Dyche plays? I dont know about motm out of position but our last two games he was excellent against Sheffield United and Arsenal.
He's been pretty underwhelming for us Zat.

He was dropped towards the end of the season as he couldn't sustain any type of performance.

A few thoughts:

Fee: £50mil is incredibly poor when an inferior Belgian player 'Lavia' went for £58mil last summer. Also, Caicedo was £115mil last summer.

Not sure why people dont know how much we signed him for, £33mil + 20% of profit to Lille.

Everton £46.6mil
Lille: £3.4mil

His book value will be around £19.8mil so its approx £26.8mil pure PSR profit + his wages.

Some posters are commenting that he wasn't very good at the euros. However, i heard a little birdie tell me that L'equipe had him in their team of the group stage. His ratings were also usually 2nd to only De Bruyne.

Other posts complain about a defensive midfielder not scoring many goals. Dont remember too many saying this about Busquets or Makelele.

Some saying he didnt play end of the season yet he bossed both Sheffield United and Arsenal in the final two games.

Villa: Monchi & Emery breaking the Villa transfer record to play him in his natural 6 anchor position which we have done maximum 4 times.

Iroegbunam replaces him in the squad. A year older than Onana was when he joined. Perhaps also Doucoure moves deeper like under Ancelotti. Big pressure on Iroegbunam to prove that he wasnt solely a PSR signing.

On paper he and the Chelsea player on loan (with a view to buy?) could be forward thinking, until you see this: https://www.transfermarkt.com/lesley-ugochukwu/verletzungen/spieler/711999

Hopefully the fee includes installments to at least take this over £60mil. So far it looks to be appalling business.

Next surely must be DCL, Maupay, Keane and Holgate.

I think that because he didn't really rip up trees here, wanted to leave, and management aren't too fussed with wanting him to go...is why the fee is what it is.

He was always here to sell on for profit. And that's what we made.

…..I’ve said it plenty, Onana is a fine player but it’s his lack of application that’s his problem. It’s what makes him a sellable asset, a player we can sell and reinvest without weakening the team. It’s nothing to do with where he plays, he’s unreliable and that’s why he found himself on the bench at times.

When you see him go down injured and teammates surround him convincing him to stay on the pitch, when you read about him asking to come off at half-time in games you understand the issue. Now consider Branthwaite’s application.

I had big hopes for him last season but he was so disappointing. I have absolutely no issue with him leaving but we need an effective replacement.
Branthwaite is given a situation to succeed and Onana isn’t. I mean I get what you’re saying, but the management gap here is vast and it has to be considered. Onana isn’t dumb. He sees his career wasting away under Dyche.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back