2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely he’s not irreplaceable but a question I might ask is why is getting the most out of what is clearly the midfielder with the most talent we have in the team not something that we have to do or that even matters? Then my follow up question is are we sure that’s the best way to approach things?
I think that's a question for the player himself.

He's had every opportunity to perform on the world's biggest stage in this league , maybe he needs a change of agent , a change of club , but more so he needs to change his own mindset.

It's really up to him what level he can achieve , no one else can do that but him.

Joao Palhinha is 29 years old. When many wanted us to sign Nunes (when we were linked) i said Palhinha was the superior player.

Not sure which 'Carlos' you mean?

I also have been saying we should bring in Wharton for the best part of 2 years.

Comparing Onana at 22 with Palhinha at 29 i see the following:

A: Bayern can watch Palhinha week in week out playing DM. They see Onana out of position as a CM.

B: Do clubs take a chance on Onana based on his Belgium form and the odd game where he's used as a DM with us?

C: Why would a £47.5mil 29 year old signing make sense for Bayern over a 22 year old £50mil player? They cant take any chances due to failures last season and need an instant impact player.

Does the Onana fee make sense at all?
Palhinha £47.5mil 29years old
Caicedo £115mil
Lavia £58mil
Onana £50mil !?!?!?!?
A lot of words here but it’s pretty simple, he’s bang average to the rest of world but for some reason, you lauded this guy like seeing prime Zidane week in and out. Made every excuse under the sun and blaming everyone else for frankly average performances

During a recent Belgium friendly you gave him a 7 and in his match highlights included ‘celebrated a goal with lukaku’ just brilliant.

Throwing £100m+ fees around all season. Wanted by Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Man Utd, Bayern Munich, 1970’s Brazil etc . The fact he’s gone for £50m to Villa, of all teams, is pure proof you’re deluded and talk absolute crap.

…if there’s a management problem here, I guarantee this club would’ve fallen apart last season, with a vacant owner, no Board, no monies and two lots of points deductions.

I don’t know how he kept those players playing in the circumstances. Rooney said, ‘it’s impossible managing a club with a points deduction’ yet I never once thought Dyche had lost the dressing room. When players like Branthwaite talk glowingly of his influence, I find it tough to see that Dyche is the problem with Onana.
He's not my type of manager and will certainly never forget that long winless run were any manager under different club circumstances would have been chased.

But admit he & his team got blood out of stone to keep us up in the very worst possible circumstances.
So credit where it's due.

Not sure that’s true, don’t really think it matters because I hold out hope for improvement from Garner the same as I do for Onana but Garner will have to try to find that in a midfield that will still be organized by Sean Dyche.

He needed to adapt to the system and not the other way around.

All I read is that the national side and his club side need to build around him to see him at his "potential"

For us fundamentally...
He wasn't a better DM than Gana
Wasn't a consistent CM than Garner
Wasn't a better attacking threat than Doucoure.

I don't mind him. You'll probably see a more complete player in 2-3 years time. Could've stayed with us, didn't want to. Moved him on.

Literally the only reason hes still in a job is because of the set of circumstances he found himself in.

4 months without a win, 4! Breaking a 60 year old winless streak. Thats didnt feel like he'd lost the dressing room to you?

The Chelsea defeat didnt smack of a team that lost faith in its manager?

They even said they had to have a emergency meeting to resolve the issues.

…..the points deductions, absent owner, no board, no monies, the nervousness and panic of the fans were bound to manifest themselves onto team performance. Those 4 months were bleak, the furor was understandable but so was the reason.

To think last season could happen without it impacting the players is for the birds. To think any club with a playing squad that survived relegation on the last day of the previous season could stay up with events that they experienced, yet we did.

Regardless of his future, I will always be thankful we had Dyche as manager last season.

glad to get rid. Don’t like his attitude and to lazy on the pitch. For his size and pace he should have been doing so much more in the centre of the park.

Best of luck to him, top talent,seems a humble and intelligent young fella and has all the tools to be a really good player. He's just not really a Dyche player though. One of them were I think it's a good deal for everyone and it gives us some funds to get players in more key positions.

I think that's a question for the player himself.

He's had every opportunity to perform on the world's biggest stage in this league , maybe he needs a change of agent , a change of club , but more so he needs to change his own mindset.

It's really up to him what level he can achieve , no one else can do that but him.
It’s not though, this idea that players fully control their own destiny is wildly inaccurate

glad to get rid. Don’t like his attitude and to lazy on the pitch. For his size and pace he should have been doing so much more in the centre of the park.
IMG_8751.jpeg

Won't miss his penalties!

Disappointed he's gone though - need high profile/quality players or we'll sink into real obscurity (And yes even more so than now!)

Branthwaite is given a situation to succeed and Onana isn’t. I mean I get what you’re saying, but the management gap here is vast and it has to be considered. Onana isn’t dumb. He sees his career wasting away under Dyche.
Honestly, are you now blaming the manager for Onana’s immature and seemingly care free attitude to the effort he puts into his performances? You do like to blame the manager for a lot. I’m surprised you haven’t blamed him for the pace of the barrel cladding going up

Lets be honest the only thing we will possibly miss out on is something we never saw anyway. I cant really recall a single game that i thought he looks like a great player in a poor side. When you remember the likes of Rooney or kanchelskis that stuck out like a sore thumb in average sides.
He's got potential. But we never benefited from any great performances.

Would you have kept him Dan ?
Especially as he's been looking to move on himself.

You , as well as most of us knew there would be a big sale , any one of 3 .
DCL won't command anywhere near that size of fee.
And the very last thing we want is Branthwaite out the door.

I've said it often enough he could go on to the highest level if he applies himself , but he has been very underwhelming to say the least. There's a good player in there somewhere but we've seen that in many players over the years.
Hope he does turn himself around , but sadly don't think it was ever happening here.

If the money is spent wisely #cough , cough.....this is a good move all round.

yup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.