2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Far & away our best midfielder" ?????

From a very low bar he'd be 3rd best , Gana & Garner were consistently better than him.

Don't get me wrong the lad has all the attributes to make it to the top , but he does not have the application. We have seen odd half decent performances but they were very very rare. Never once in 2 years did we see him take any game & dominate it .

So good luck to the lad , I'm sure we can get a better more consistent player in his position.
Whichever way we wish to rank him and compare him, the job is to now replace him with equivalent quality. I don’t think that’s easy.

No issues with him going, need the sales to fend off PSR and much rather lose Onana in the current setup than Branthwaite this summer.

He's got all the tools to be a top top player just not sure he's got the mentality for it, too often we'd see him go missing in games. His passing is average at best and his biggest strength which i still think he could utilize more is his ball recovery ability. Not sure he's a proper 6 type, doesn't really have the discipline or natural sense of sniffing out danger.

One thing it does do though is create another problem area in the squad, arguably need 2 more bodies in that midfield for numbers during the season, wouldn't be surprised to see Kalvin Phillips in on loan with view to buy as a cheap (ish) stop gap for a year. Would like to see us go after a midfielder who wants to receive the ball deep aswell instead of all midfielders who do better without the ball.

"Far & away our best midfielder" ?????

From a very low bar he'd be 3rd best , Gana & Garner were consistently better than him.

Don't get me wrong the lad has all the attributes to make it to the top , but he does not have the application. We have seen odd half decent performances but they were very very rare. Never once in 2 years did we see him take any game & dominate it .

So good luck to the lad , I'm sure we can get a better more consistent player in his position.

Gana is 35 in september, for me last season he was below average aside from the last half a dozen games. Many posters (including me) thought he was finished and were saying his legs had gone before we used Onana & Garner together.

Garner I like as a good all rounder but its comical to compare him with Onana. In an ideal world we'd have superior midfielders and he'd be a player to rotate.

I think expecting Onana to "dominate" as an anchor midfielder playing as a central midfielder is bizarre to be honest.

And yet you rave about Onana who was gash for the majority of his time with us. :hayee:

"Gash", if only he'd run around alot eh...

Agreed…it’s just the fact that Villa and Newcastle invested sensibly and mad the correct decisions / appointments which has allowed them get Champions League….at feat we have been unsuccessful at since 2004 (even if we didn’t qualify for the league)…that allows them a little more comfort room financially speaking - a little jealousy on my part

We can only hope that the benefits of selling Godfrey, Onana and Dobbin allow us to bring in 3 young starting players who can quickly take us up the table.

At this point we really need to have half a team for the long term in place. Hopefully this is achieved over the summer window.

So far, i'm not impressed.

Gana is 35 in september, for me last season he was below average aside from the last half a dozen games. Many posters (including me) thought he was finished and were saying his legs had gone before we used Onana & Garner together.

Garner I like as a good all rounder but its comical to compare him with Onana. In an ideal world we'd have superior midfielders and he'd be a player to rotate.

I think expecting Onana to "dominate" as an anchor midfielder playing as a central midfielder is bizarre to be honest.

"Gash", if only he'd run around alot eh...

We can only hope that the benefits of selling Godfrey, Onana and Dobbin allow us to bring in 3 young starting players who can quickly take us up the table.

At this point we really need to have half a team for the long term in place. Hopefully this is achieved over the summer window.

So far, i'm not impressed.
This window is not going to solve every problem we have i would expect another cm to come in to replace onana now. Gana will hopefully helps players like tim and the other cm settle into the club then start to rotate him with them. Hate this talk of not impressed so far club has done a good job so far ofc we all would like more but has been decent so far. I expect more movement from the club now because of the onana sale

I think £50 million rising to £55 million is about right. He never really fulfilled his promise and if he does so at Villa he'll doubtless leave for a bigger club so we should get a sell on fee. If he doesn't then we've done a good deal.

I liked Onana, enjoyed having a huge midfielder like that who moved really well and was generally smooth on the ball. But I also liked the character more than the player. Went missing a lot for someone with his skill level. He really does have it all in his locker, but he only ever flashed for us on occasion.

I would have been disappointed if we’d sold him last summer, but I have no problem with it this summer, especially for a decent fee. If the manager doesn’t rely on you in the most critical points of the season, that says a lot. He should do a lot better in an Emery side, but it’s not like he isn’t suited to Dyche’s style. I watched the majority of Belgium’s games this summer and thought he was okay. I’d understand why some would be impressed because he looked confident, but for me did not offer himself in space as much as a proper #6 should. I thought he looked a bit lazy.

Wishing him well, though, and I’m weirdly kind of glad he’s going to Villa and not an Arsenal type.

I liked Onana, enjoyed having a huge midfielder like that who moved really well and was generally smooth on the ball. But I also liked the character more than the player. Went missing a lot for someone with his skill level. He really does have it all in his locker, but he only ever flashed for us on occasion.

I would have been disappointed if we’d sold him last summer, but I have no problem with it this summer, especially for a decent fee. If the manager doesn’t rely on you in the most critical points of the season, that says a lot. He should do a lot better in an Emery side, but it’s not like he isn’t suited to Dyche’s style. I watched the majority of Belgium’s games this summer and thought he was okay. I’d understand why some would be impressed because he looked confident, but for me did not offer himself in space as much as a proper #6 should. I thought he looked a bit lazy.

Wishing him well, though, and I’m weirdly kind of glad he’s going to Villa and not an Arsenal type.
Same esp now with the sell on included hope that he is on the move again soon

I like him. Think he has a big career ahead of him. Hasn’t done it enough for us but seems to understand the club and get us.

Disappointed it’s Villa, because they were looking at a psr breach and even though they have champs league, it’s ultimately one good season they have had.

It’s a shame, defo improves us as a squad, would love us to keep him. But see why at this point we need to take the money. Wish him the best, whatever anyone says believe he gave his best for us and there’s better to come.
Seems like a top bloke as well, which tbf doesn’t really matter but is nice.

I think £50 million rising to £55 million is about right. He never really fulfilled his promise and if he does so at Villa he'll doubtless leave for a bigger club so we should get a sell on fee. If he doesn't then we've done a good deal.

I think people often forget he signed as 20 year old. He's leaving at 22.

Arriving in the Prem, in a basketcase of a club.

Since Moshiri, how many have fulfilled their potential or even how many have we got the most out of?

It'll be really interesting to see how he does. I think he'll make a lot of people try to rewrite history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back