2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on formations etc, this is how we look imo

ACM: N'diaye / Dele
CM: Doucoure / Gana / Garner / Iroegbunam

Now Onana has moved on we still have 6 players for 3 positions. I've shifted Doucoure back just so its 2 players for each position, he played DM under Ancelotti.

Iroegbunam is 21 which is a year older than Onana when he joined the club.

How do you feel about that central area if we go with that?
I don't

Irogbumbum won't be a starter for us , I'm really confident in that.
We will bring another CM in of that I have no doubt.

Plus I don't want Doucoure anywhere near those positions.

I'll only remember him for his cheerleading which says a lot about his performances at the club.

He never really made up for that pen against Fulham for me. That was a big moment for the club. Fair enough if you strike it well and the keeper saves it but he tried to make that moment about himself instead of the team by doing a stupid pen. We lost a lot of momentum after that.

Hasn't produced those ratings for us

I mean, these were his stats (per 90min) from last year in comparison to Rice

IMG_3264.webp

The only thing that annoys me about it all is we are now selling players to the likes of Villa and and Newcastle. The general perception then becomes that they move on to ‘bigger and better things’. Both of those clubs not so long ago were in the Championship. Villa in particular are an example of showing that money isn’t the be all and end all. They got a serious financial backer but also had a plan. Instead we got bloody Monty Brewster.

I don't

Irogbumbum won't be a starter for us , I'm really confident in that.
We will bring another CM in of that I have no doubt.

Plus I don't want Doucoure anywhere near those positions.

One quick question....of those 6 players we have in at ACM + CM how many are you confident about and happy to see start in our 11 ?

The only thing that annoys me about it all is we are now selling players to the likes of Villa and and Newcastle. The general perception then becomes that they move on to ‘bigger and better things’. Both of those clubs not so long ago were in the Championship. Villa in particular are an example of showing that money isn’t the be all and end all. They got a serious financial backer but also had a plan. Instead we got bloody Monty Brewster.

I'm ok selling players are long as the fees are market value or above.

Selling Dobbin to Villa in a PSR swap for Iroegbunam is one thing but £50mil for far and away our best midfielder still only 22 is another.

If we had sold DCL to Newcastle in the other PSR deal at £35mil it would have meant nothing as it was just a swap for Minteh.

But if Newcastle come in for him again and we can get £30mil+ i'd be laughing.

These fees have to be used to improve the 11 with younger players to develop and build a long term team.

Joao Palhinha is 29 years old. When many wanted us to sign Nunes (when we were linked) i said Palhinha was the superior player.

Not sure which 'Carlos' you mean?

I also have been saying we should bring in Wharton for the best part of 2 years.

Comparing Onana at 22 with Palhinha at 29 i see the following:

A: Bayern can watch Palhinha week in week out playing DM. They see Onana out of position as a CM.

B: Do clubs take a chance on Onana based on his Belgium form and the odd game where he's used as a DM with us?

C: Why would a £47.5mil 29 year old signing make sense for Bayern over a 22 year old £50mil player? They cant take any chances due to failures last season and need an instant impact player.

Does the Onana fee make sense at all?
Palhinha £47.5mil 29years old
Caicedo £115mil
Lavia £58mil
Onana £50mil !?!?!?!?
Joao Palhinha is 29 years old. When many wanted us to sign Nunes (when we were linked) i said Palhinha was the superior player.

Not sure which 'Carlos' you mean?

I also have been saying we should bring in Wharton for the best part of 2 years.

Comparing Onana at 22 with Palhinha at 29 i see the following:

A: Bayern can watch Palhinha week in week out playing DM. They see Onana out of position as a CM.

B: Do clubs take a chance on Onana based on his Belgium form and the odd game where he's used as a DM with us?

C: Why would a £47.5mil 29 year old signing make sense for Bayern over a 22 year old £50mil player? They cant take any chances due to failures last season and need an instant impact player.

Does the Onana fee make sense at all?
Palhinha £47.5mil 29years old
Caicedo £115mil
Lavia £58mil
Onana £50mil !?!?!?!?
Zat you hit the nail on the head with your comment at ‘ C’ —They can’t take any chances due to failures last season they need an instant impact player——Onana is not that man, two years at Everton and has hardly made any impact at all. Looks like his sister has if this move to Villa comes off!

One quick question....of those 6 players we have in at ACM + CM how many are you confident about and happy to see start in our 11 ?
Ndaiye ACM
Garner , Gana CM

I'd sell Doucoure right now
Irogbumbum will be a long term project not a regular starter.
Dele could break down again at any time.

So we do need to replace Onana & I suspect we will.

So happy he’s going and glad I won’t be seeing people try and force upon you his “greatness” or hear about this high ceiling he has, he’s done absolutely nothing here and making a profit on a player is a move in the right direction. Enjoy the big club that Villa are 😁 and yes they had a good season and got a great manager but I don’t think villa was the move he envisioned CL football or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back