£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point of a sell on value is that in 3 seasons time when hes 31 and were looking to move him on and upgrade we wont receive much money for him and others may not want to cover his high salary.

I'd rather go for players whose value should increase and then we know that even if we want to offload them we can bring in decent money for an alternative or an upgrade.
I'd rather we stopped selling our best players, but each to their own.

I think somebody really needs to get in touch with the club directly to make them realise the potential scouting network and business acumen available free of charge on this site.

From what I've read on here signing great players is as simple as being a bit imaginative and looking around more. Makes you wonder why we're employing all these scouts to begin with. What a waste of money !

The point of a sell on value is that in 3 seasons time when hes 31 and were looking to move him on and upgrade we wont receive much money for him and others may not want to cover his high salary.

I'd rather go for players whose value should increase and then we know that even if we want to offload them we can bring in decent money for an alternative or an upgrade.
The point is if we end up where we wish to be, consistently Champions League and challenging for trophies then players in their prime need to be added to the young spine recently bought. We can't be worrying about sell on value because if that's the main concern when signing players we will be nothing but a feeder club.

Has flop written all over him. Swansea going down this year unless they make an inspired couple of signings...

Viera is a good player Zat.

Reminds me a lot of a Pienaar/Arteta type (when the latter played wide).

But, I'd rather have Gylfi, who is younger as well I believe.

You can't do that every time, otherwise you're always playing potential on the field rather than the finished product, and when you get close to having the finished product you are selling them on and starting again.

Sometimes you have to bring in the proven commodity to compliment emerging talent throughout the team.

Sigurdsson is a good player. It makes sense to bring him in - for the right fee.

Agreed. I'd also add I want players who can improve.

Gylfi is as good as he'll be.

He is a low ceiling, low floor signing in that he'll do as well for us as he did for Swansea but we aren't going to see him turning into a world beater.

If the fee were even £25m I'd say fair enough, not who I'd have chosen but the manager clearly rates him. I did that with Bolasie last year where I worried about him playing as part of a front 3 given he doesn't score goals.

At £50m (almost £100m with wages+costs over 5 years) it just strikes me as crazy. £50m buys you almost any player in the world not currently at an elite team. If in the entire world the best use of £100m in fees+wages+costs is a 28 year old who has spent most of their career in the bottom half of leagues then I'd question our scouting.

Without wanting to sound like one of those 'YEAH WHO?' people, who did you have in mind?

Premier League proven not that many other options. Mata springs to mind along with a couple of others that probably wouldn't come.

Very few of the premier leagues best midfielders have been bought inside the premier league after being proven though, Kante, Mata, maybe a couple others like Cesc and De Bruyne after departing and coming back. I think for that money we could be buying world class players, for example James has gone to Bayern for 45m Euros, Bernardo Silva to City again for 45m. I'm not suggesting that these would of joined us just that i think there are better players out there than Sigurdsson for that value, something far more exciting and someone that would make us better than he in my belief ever could.

That said not my money and not going to cry if we sign him, still a good player.

What do you reckon?

Most underwhelming record transfer....

Perhaps if/when he signs it may feel different but at the moment I'm not even fussed if he signs.

For the wages and transfer fee we could bring in a really super defender.
You can't do that every time, otherwise you're always playing potential on the field rather than the finished product, and when you get close to having the finished product you are selling them on and starting again.

Sometimes you have to bring in the proven commodity to compliment emerging talent throughout the team.

Sigurdsson is a good player. It makes sense to bring him in - for the right fee.

The United team with the class of 92 in it would have won the square root of nothing without that VERY experienced top core of the team they supplemented around, and by the time those experienced players moved on, the class of 92 players then had that experience to carry on and build the team around

Premier League proven not that many other options. Mata springs to mind along with a couple of others that probably wouldn't come.

Very few of the premier leagues best midfielders have been bought inside the premier league after being proven though, Kante, Mata, maybe a couple others like Cesc and De Bruyne after departing and coming back. I think for that money we could be buying world class players, for example James has gone to Bayern for 45m Euros, Bernardo Silva to City again for 45m. I'm not suggesting that these would of joined us just that i think there are better players out there than Sigurdsson for that value, something far more exciting and someone that would make us better than he in my belief ever could.

That said not my money and not going to cry if we sign him, still a good player.

What do you reckon?

Honestly don't know mate. Gylfi wouldn't be my first choice as I just don't see enough magic there from open play.

What do you reckon?

So you think for £50m we (Everton) could get someone better than Sigurdsson but can only name Mata as someone we might be able to get? I don't understand the logic.

Every thread now is turning into the same remarks from milk bearing mamaries......can we please keep each thread on what it was supposed too
do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back