Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading that Swansea have rejected our latest bid, must admit to a sneaking respect for that club. Here we have a bigger club coming in for their star player, the player wants to leave and they are sticking to their guns.
If it were any other club rather than Everton trying to get Sigurdsson I think we all would be admiring Swansea.
As it is Everton I am getting a wee bit sick of them.

One thing my RS mate gave us credit for (and the only thing) was that we wouldn't be bullied and dictated to by so called bigger clubs when it came to our players so, we can hardly have a pop at Swansea when we would do exactly the same thing.

Also, it doesn't matter if Sigurdsson wants to leave and come to us, at the end of the day he is under contract and is their player (sound familiar that) and they dictate the terms not us.

Fair play to them I say - they set a price and they're sticking to it. We did it with Stones so we can't complain too much.

While I have no complaints about the fee as such, Swansea can be a pain to deal with - and it all seems to get very political (as it did with Williams last year, and it's now backed up by the local press sucking up to them as well).

Here's what a seemingly decently-informed fan put on their forum yesterday:

It's been common knowledge, ignore all the media speculation, that a deal had been agreed with Everton, the player's terms also, shortly after the end of the season.

Since then, a division in the boardroom has seen Kaplan raise the transfer fee that most fans feel represents the player's value while the Abraham and Mesa's signing have been conducted via the sale of Jack Cork and Bafe.

Clement meanwhile gives the impression that, with just over 2 weeks to go before the opening match v Saints, his squad is some way short of the quality he feels it needs to be for the start of the season. And quite rightly so.

Throw in the possible departure of the likes of Llorente, Bartley, Barrow, Montero and Kingsley and one comes to the conclusion that it's not just a further 2 players required but possibly 4.

What £45M+ is actually doing is forcing the club to pay over the odds for new squad additions and probably enter into an auction with other clubs as the transfer window closes. But there again it's business as normal for little old Swansea while Kaplan and Levein have still yet to use their cash to pay for new player recruits.

I can assure you that what I was told about Gylfi joining Everton came from a reliable source, which fell in line with a conversation I had earlier with a certain professional sportsman in Swansea. What transpired later was Kaplan getting involved in negotiations and naively accusing Everton of tapping up Gylfi, something which upset certain members of the Swans Board. Most fans have known that tapping up, although illegal, is part and parcel of the game and it would be naive to think that the Swans don't do it themselves.

I dare say the bottom line is, if HJ had been left to his own devices he would have no doubt settled a deal around £30-35M when the season ended, plus add-ons, while Kaplan is perceived by some as having bigger balls than HJ and driven the price up to £50M. You decide yourself, but what is the best option as far as Clement is concerned-a settled squad to start the season with, a settled well drilled outfit, or as Notrac has mentioned, the change in accountancy where large transfers, like last season, dragged on to the last days of July and into August that put more pressure on the manager.

Rumours are rife in the off season, driven by snippets from DoF's, agents, or journos desperate to provide copy for deadlines and you make your own mind up if you believe them. For me, I tend to believe what credible, trusted people tell me and marvel at the imagination and plagiarism of journos and bloggers.

https://thejack.army/threads/whats-really-going-on-in-the-siggy-saga.13973/

They did this with Williams last year also.

So while I respect Swansea for sticking to their guns, they have a tendency to move the goalposts.

- Obviously, he could be their Dave for all I know.

One thing my RS mate gave us credit for (and the only thing) was that we wouldn't be bullied and dictated to by so called bigger clubs when it came to our players so, we can hardly have a pop at Swansea when we would do exactly the same thing.

Also, it doesn't matter if Sigurdsson wants to leave and come to us, at the end of the day he is under contract and is their player (sound familiar that) and they dictate the terms not us.
fair play to them. The want 50m and given how important the player is to them and how he basically kept them up last season you can understand why. If we've gone as far as 47m as some have claimed i'd like us just to offer 50, let them have their victory (we've been there in the past) and move on.

While I have no complaints about the fee as such, Swansea can be a pain to deal with - and it all seems to get very political (as it did with Williams last year, and it's now backed up by the local press sucking up to them as well).

It's been common knowledge, ignore all the media speculation, that a deal had been agreed with Everton, the player's terms also, shortly after the end of the season.

Since then, a division in the boardroom has seen Kaplan raise the transfer fee that most fans feel represents the player's value while the Abraham and Mesa's signing have been conducted via the sale of Jack Cork and Bafe.

Clement meanwhile gives the impression that, with just over 2 weeks to go before the opening match v Saints, his squad is some way short of the quality he feels it needs to be for the start of the season. And quite rightly so.

Throw in the possible departure of the likes of Llorente, Bartley, Barrow, Montero and Kingsley and one comes to the conclusion that it's not just a further 2 players required but possibly 4.

What £45M+ is actually doing is forcing the club to pay over the odds for new squad additions and probably enter into an auction with other clubs as the transfer window closes. But there again it's business as normal for little old Swansea while Kaplan and Levein have still yet to use their cash to pay for new player recruits.

I can assure you that what I was told about Gylfi joining Everton came from a reliable source, which fell in line with a conversation I had earlier with a certain professional sportsman in Swansea. What transpired later was Kaplan getting involved in negotiations and naively accusing Everton of tapping up Gylfi, something which upset certain members of the Swans Board. Most fans have known that tapping up, although illegal, is part and parcel of the game and it would be naive to think that the Swans don't do it themselves.

I dare say the bottom line is, if HJ had been left to his own devices he would have no doubt settled a deal around £30-35M when the season ended, plus add-ons, while Kaplan is perceived by some as having bigger balls than HJ and driven the price up to £50M. You decide yourself, but what is the best option as far as Clement is concerned-a settled squad to start the season with, a settled well drilled outfit, or as Notrac has mentioned, the change in accountancy where large transfers, like last season, dragged on to the last days of July and into August that put more pressure on the manager.

Rumours are rife in the off season, driven by snippets from DoF's, agents, or journos desperate to provide copy for deadlines and you make your own mind up if you believe them. For me, I tend to believe what credible, trusted people tell me and marvel at the imagination and plagiarism of journos and bloggers.

So while I respect Swansea for sticking to their guns, they have a tendency to move the goalposts.

With all of that in mind, surprising that we have not moved onto another target. If a deal was agreed so long ago and personal terms, we run the risk of letting Swansea dictate Koemans plans for the side the longer this drags on.

They'll sell. They won't risk having a furious player throwing a strop over a reneged deal who then slaps in a transfer request and leaves for a fraction of their current asking price.

It is right though that the longer this drags on the more it negatively affects Swansea rather than us.

We could hit the Stoke game without him and still have a good squad.

If they wait till near the window to lose and then have to replace him and they're getting relegated.

Yes they want the (absurd) fee they've asked for but surely at the point they want to bed in his replacement before the season kicks off?

With all of that in mind, surprising that we have not moved onto another target. If a deal was agreed so long ago and personal terms, we run the risk of letting Swansea dictate Koemans plans for the side the longer this drags on.

Well if that is to be believed, we did move on to another target.

In fact, we moved on to six of them, got the foundations of our team place - showing Gylfi we mean business in the process - and have now come back to get one of the two more 'top quality' additions Koeman wants.

He's a major target and always has been for a year now.

Plenty of time left to go. We don't need to be 'moving on' from anything if we want them enough.

yep - you'd think if Swansea keep moving the goal posts we'd have just moved on.

Well Barkley and Niasse will defo leave. I can see another £35M-£40M from those two. McCarthy I believe will also leave. That'll probably see spending break even if a striker is brought in as expected.

The real figure should be what we do over and above a £20+M net spend...which is what we'v e done for the past three summers including those before Moshiri arrived here. My stated view from the off is that only if we're seeing a net spend this summer of somewhere approaching £50M can we say anything has changed.

I think we'll be way way off that.
I bet you sleep on a pillow with 'net spend' embroided on it.

:P

Last edited:

Its Lescott all over again, but we're City and Swansea are Everton. And across the Park, the RS are City and Southampton are Everton(and Lescott is VanDyck). Got it?:)

If this is true then lets walk away. Let them get relegated and we can get him for 20m next season.

If this is true then lets walk away. Let them get relegated and we can get him for 20m next season.

we don't want him next year.

We want him now. We need him - or a similar player, of which there aren't many - now.

True proven quality playmakers are hard to find.

United are going to have to pay £50m for Perisic - who is more of a winger anyway - who is a tad older than Gylfi and and has no experience of the Prem, while his stats aren't exactly top notch either (albeit he is a good player).

Gylfi is up there with the top five or six playmakers in this league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back