£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fish in a small pond at Swansea. .... flopped massively at spurs.

No, he didn't. He was often played as a winger or deep.

He stills cored 7 goals and 6 goals respectively - better than any of our players bar Rom last year.

And...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38184714

Tottenham were too quick to sell "perfect" Swansea talisman Gylfi Sigurdsson says the London club's boss Mauricio Pochettino.

Pochettino took over in the summer of 2014 and allowed Sigurdsson to join Swansea in a deal that saw Ben Davies and Michel Vorm move in the opposite direction.

Spurs host Swansea on Saturday.

"I think after he moved to Swansea and we saw his development he was a perfect player for us," Pochettino said.

"But in that moment it was the club decision and his decision to move to Swansea and find another way."

Sigurdsson has five goals already in the current campaign and Pochettino says the Icelandic midfielder is still well thought of at White Hart Lane.

"Every time we meet him and see him he shows his quality not only as a player but like a man. All the people here talk very highly about him," he said.

"It's a shame but sometimes in football you never know what will happen in the future."

So yeh, Poch disagrees with you.

No of course not. But people are still saying they'd prefer Gylfi.

I'm hoping it's a reflex thing as it's mental to say that.

James is better no doubt, but reading a lot of comments on here it's obvious they have never watched Sigurdsson except when he has played for us. He is exactly the type of player we need I think.

As for the fee: yes it is overpaying but so what? We got £50m for Stones, if we pay £10, £15m more than expected, I can live with it. It only seems a few windows ago that we were linked with Dickov and couldn't meet Birminghams valuation for a certain Robert Savage.

Embrace the new "getting things done" Everton.

We have;

10 mill for Del
8 mill for the Clev
4.5 mill for Mcgeady.

Wide or central attacking players who made little or no contribution and who were effectively binned last season.

22.5 million that is effectively half of Gylfis fee who will actually play games and be contribute double figures goals and assists.

Its a no brainer.

eSMXE1Ee_400x400.jpeg

There are a very limited number of football players who we can sign and will improve us. It's not like we can just go down to the local supermarket and buy them out the freezer.

That's fair enough Tubes.

I don't want him to have to replace Ross as I want Ross to stay.

But, in my opinion, if Ross does leave then Gylfi is a more than adequate - and in my view currently superior - replacement.

I respect you disagree.

On the pace thing, as you say, he moves the ball quickly and precisely. That's more important.
But does he run around in circles?

When Ross operates purely off instinct, he's a joy to watch.

When he dallies, he often gets caught out.

It's why I want him further up the pitch in a front three. Less time, and more about his instinctive ability. A good example is that cross for Lukaku against Leicester.

Funny you mention liking him playing up and I get your point. Instincts should take over but i don't think it happens enough.

While I 100% agree that Ross has shown flashes of instinct that are beautiful football. I don't think it happens often enough in the final third. Too often he holds it too long, and the chance goes away. Maybe I'm wrong but that is what I feel like when watching him.

I want him to stay because he has that potential and I want him to achieve it. But at the same time he is not a consistent difference maker and has playing first team football long enough to be.

I genuinely think he has all the physical/technical skills to be a box to box midfielder like Lampard, but he is too much of a liability defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back