Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, Swansea fan here with a quick update of how the situation appears at our end:

The Sigurdsson deal looks inevitable, but when it will transpire is anyone's guess. At the very least, it won't be completed before August for tax reasons. Our year end accounts are in July, so the idea is that by waiting until August we can delay paying corporation tax until May 2019, a year longer than if the deal had been agreed in July. We did the same last year when our two major outgoings (Williams and Ayew) took place in August. Tax is based on the transaction date, so nothing can be agreed before then or we risk being charged with fraud.

There is also a power struggle at the Liberty with our manager and chairman Huw Jenkins in disagreement with new majority US owners Kaplan and Levien. Clement is allegedly unhappy with the player as he has become a disruptive influence and wants to see the player sold with any funds going towards replacements, with chairman Jenkins in agreement. However, the majority owners seem set on their £50m valuation. The hope was that Sigurdsson would put in a transfer request and forfeit any loyalty bonuses owed to him, but that has failed to materialise. Jenkins has since liaised with the owners and explained that we should compromise on the fee or risk facing a situation similar to Payet with West Ham. The manager is particularly annoyed as we apparently have three deals ready to go through, but won't push ahead until we have agreed a deal with Everton. It is expected that the owners will concede sooner rather than later.

Personally, I think Everton will come back in with a slightly improved offer (maybe an extra couple of million up front) and that should be enough at this stage. Deal would be undisclosed to save face. For what it's worth, I think £50m was a ridiculous valuation and I would've dealt at your second bid of £45m (£40m up front plus £5m in add-ons). Siggy is hard-working, excellent from dead ball situations and a great striker of the ball, but isn't mobile enough to command £50m.

Your miles behind us Jack, we knew all that last night as we done an undercover mission on one of your forums to get all of the above gossip.

Latest our end is we've offered 10m ( 4m upfront) and Niasse and that is a take it or leave it offer. We offered Williams but he said he would rather go on strike than return, make of that what you will.

Seriously though, keep us posted if you hear any developments and stick around

Hi guys, Swansea fan here with a quick update of how the situation appears at our end:

The Sigurdsson deal looks inevitable, but when it will transpire is anyone's guess. At the very least, it won't be completed before August for tax reasons. Our year end accounts are in July, so the idea is that by waiting until August we can delay paying corporation tax until May 2019, a year longer than if the deal had been agreed in July. We did the same last year when our two major outgoings (Williams and Ayew) took place in August. Tax is based on the transaction date, so nothing can be agreed before then or we risk being charged with fraud.

There is also a power struggle at the Liberty with our manager and chairman Huw Jenkins in disagreement with new majority US owners Kaplan and Levien. Clement is allegedly unhappy with the player as he has become a disruptive influence and wants to see the player sold with any funds going towards replacements, with chairman Jenkins in agreement. However, the majority owners seem set on their £50m valuation. The hope was that Sigurdsson would put in a transfer request and forfeit any loyalty bonuses owed to him, but that has failed to materialise. Jenkins has since liaised with the owners and explained that we should compromise on the fee or risk facing a situation similar to Payet with West Ham. The manager is particularly annoyed as we apparently have three deals ready to go through, but won't push ahead until we have agreed a deal with Everton. It is expected that the owners will concede sooner rather than later.

Personally, I think Everton will come back in with a slightly improved offer (maybe an extra couple of million up front) and that should be enough at this stage. Deal would be undisclosed to save face. For what it's worth, I think £50m was a ridiculous valuation and I would've dealt at your second bid of £45m (£40m up front plus £5m in add-ons). Siggy is hard-working, excellent from dead ball situations and a great striker of the ball, but isn't mobile enough to command £50m.
Nice one. Welcome to the forum Jack

Also to be taken into consideration if/when we sign him - he'll be far behind the rest of the squad in terms of match fitness as he's not involved in Swansea's preseason.

If we sign him in August then he might not even make an appearance until he's up to Koeman's standard of fitness.

And that's not even taking into account the time taken for him to settle into the team.

Also to be taken into consideration if/when we sign him - he'll be far behind the rest of the squad in terms of match fitness as he's not involved in Swansea's preseason.

If we sign him in August then he might not even make an appearance until he's up to Koeman's standard of fitness.

And that's not even taking into account the time taken for him to settle into the team.

He strikes me as the type of player who would constantly be at a level of good fitness, I can't see him taking long to get up to speed. He's a Koeman player for that reason among others imo.

We are going to have to decide at some point if we are a big club that is will big over pay for exactly the player we want like the others do, or if we'll be put off by a price and settle for our 3-4 option who would be not as good.

The Sigurdsson Saga; a 144 part mockumentary of an Icelandic warrior taken from his homeland to a strange foreign country and his rise to lead his new Celtic tribe only to find himself at war with a bigger more successful tribe. Will Gylfi survive and thrive as a leader off his new tribe or will he be defeated and continue to fight the forlorn fight in Wales.

I wonder if our creative performance (or lack of) the other day will prompt Koeman into putting more pressure into getting this deal done quicker

Thanks, Jack.

I think we all know that the 50M was absurd, but that it would take the player to really force the move and do exactly what he's doing now.

40M was a lot, but if he's the primary reason Swans stayed up, I think we all understood why they would play hardball.

I wonder if our creative performance (or lack of) the other day will prompt Koeman into putting more pressure into getting this deal done quicker

Hope not, surely Ron would have seen the problem was overcrowding in the #10 position with both Klaassen and Rooney already there and not add a third identical player for the same position into the same team.

Start of August. It disadvantages us more so than yourselves the longer it drags on.

Yes. The American "investors" want to grow the club organically, so are refusing to dig into their own pockets. Any future incomings are dependent on the Sigurdsson deal (as well as Llorente to Chelsea).
Cheers for the input. You rate llorente? How much will he go for ? To sit on chelsea bench !!

Hope not, surely Ron would have seen the problem was overcrowding in the #10 position with both Klaassen and Rooney already there and not add a third identical player for the same position into the same team.

Do you disagree we lack that killer pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back