Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resale Resale Resale

Who actually cares. You're probably the same people moaning that we are a selling club. I want to sign players and then keep them.
Exactly! This! I prefer we buy players that contribute to the TEAM now, not to some speculative bank balance of the future. Does every player we buy have to be a bargain profit maker? A successful team is what brings value and profit.

Resale Resale Resale

Who actually cares. You're probably the same people moaning that we are a selling club. I want to sign players and then keep them.

We fund new players through resales.

If we don't have anyone to sell because all our players are worthless we don't get to buy new players.

We had Lukaku for 4 seasons and made £50m profit

If we spend that on Sigurdsson in 4 seasons he is worth £0. What then?

If we don't have anyone to sell because all our players are worthless we don't get to buy new players.

We obviously raise funds through sales but that should primarily be through selling players we no longer want or players who fail to make the grade. Not by selling our best players. That has to be the situation we eventually get to.

I assume you'd be against signing Messi this summer if theoretically he wanted to join and we could afford him? He'd be mid 30s in a few years. No resale.

Resale value is still important to a club like ours and if you think we are above selling our players then I'm afraid you are mistaken.

So in your opinion we are no longer a football team but merely a speculative business, with profit through player transactions our reason for continued existence? How depressing.

Ronaldo would have no sell on value if someone bought him this year on a 4 year deal. I suppose he would be a waste of money too?

Don't understand the resale issue. You buy players to improve, challenge, and ultimately win things. You don't buy simply to sell on in 2 years time for profit. We aren't a property developer.

It's still important TT. We aren't City, we can't write off a 50 million purchase.

We've made about £400 million in tv money and hopefully some more in commercial and European money as well

We obviously raise funds through sales but that should primarily be through selling players we no longer want or players who fail to make the grade. Not by selling our best players. That has to be the situation we eventually get to.

I assume you'd be against signing Messi this summer if theoretically he wanted to join and we could afford him? He'd be mid 30s in a few years. No resale.

Obviously I'd take Ronaldo/Messi but we aren't in that position yet. Moshiri is rich but compared to the clubs above us and their owners he is a pauper.

So in the meantime we should be buying players coming into their peak. Get the best 4-5 years of their careers and sell them on at their peak. Reinvest in similar each time we sell.

£50m on players at 28 who aren't world class is just bad business.

It's still important TT. We aren't City, we can't write off a 50 million purchase.

We will produce players. We will make money on lots of them. Not all of them can make it here, but hopefully lots of them are good enough for a relatively high level. We will make profit on players. We will lose on some. Sell on value is no reason to turn down a player. We will potentially be making 35m on Barkley this summer. Win some you lose some...

We will produce players. We will make money on lots of them. Not all of them can make it here, but hopefully lots of them are good enough for a relatively high level. We will make profit on players. We will lose on some. Sell on value is no reason to turn down a player. We will potentially be making 35m on Barkley this summer. Win some you lose some...

Sell to buy etc etc

I hate the argument against buying players because they'll have no resale value. If said player costs us 50m and we win things or reach the championsleague thanks to that player I couldn't care if we don't make our money back when he eventually is sold.
Winning things is not a given, especially on a player that nobody believes would get us top four or get in any other top four team. In truth Siggy isn't good enough to command a 50m fee with no resale value, he doesn't elevate us enough in my opinion.

Obviously I'd take Ronaldo/Messi but we aren't in that position yet. Moshiri is rich but compared to the clubs above us and their owners he is a pauper.

So in the meantime we should be buying players coming into their peak. Get the best 4-5 years of their careers and sell them on at their peak. Reinvest in similar each time we sell.

£50m on players at 28 who aren't world class is just bad business.

There's no "world class" players going to be joining us anytime soon so you're argument is fundamentally flawed. We either pay slightly too much on the players who will improve us, or we refuse to embroiled in the current market sitting smugly that we weren't shafted by anyone. All the while other teams are improving and leaving us behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back