£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's little doubt that Gylfi is a top class player, the kind of player we should be going for.

But for £40mil it feels like we're being held to ransom, yes he's a proven premier league player, yes he'll get us goals, yes he'll be ace but £40mil just seems way too high when we got a much younger Keeper from Sunderland for £30mil and apart from Sandro what is Walshy doing, he's supposed to be finding us cheap superstars not all these obvious expensive players we've been getting :(

It's the thrill of the chase, we have dreamed of spending big and now that time is on us that thrill and dream has gone so we need to moan about something let's moan about prices we are paying and let's also mention that big stick that some keep beating the board with "Nett Spend".
Some Evertonians love misery just leave them to it.

It's more, if we're going to spend near 50m on a player, let's get someone better than Sigurdsson, for me anyway. There is value out there as Timak has just shown. I personally think Barkley is better than Sigurdsson anyway.

Trawling through this thread makes me think folks long for the days when we on the brink of actually going places but unfortunately there just wasn't enough money down the back of the couch for Joao Moutinho and the likes. Yes Sigurdsson costs a lot but ffs, he's a good player that is about as low risk a transfer as you can get and he improves our squad ten-fold.

Your point about low risk transfer is really the point for me. Guys coming from other leagues always carry some amount of risk, how they will translate to the English game, etc.

Gylfi is a known commodity and has consistently produced for a Swansea side over the years and which was truly dire last season, I watched a lot of their games and believe me he's the only reason they stayed up. Does he have the upside of others in that price range? No. But his floor is much higher, and RK is looking at him as a known commodity and exactly how he fits. That's the premium we'd be paying. At least the risk is minimal

A lot of people around seem to be living in 2003.

Yeah, some places you might still be able to get a pint for £2 but it will usually be rank. Most will cost you more like £4 in 2017. If you're poor or from Stoke or something then you still have to risk paying £2 a pint and getting crap most of the time, with the odd decent pint every now and then.

Sigurdsson is basically a guaranteed quality pint of Erdinger

Thang God I don't live near you :pint2:

Bolasie Mk2.

He is a perfectly decent player, good at one thing, hard working but essentially limited.

I'd welcome him in the squad as a £15-20m signing, because that is a realistic price for what he'd add to the squad.

Players who have gone for that type of money this season: Ricardo Rodriguez, Hakan Calhanoglu, Youri Tielmans, Kingslay Koman

When you are in the £30-40m price range you are up against:

Mo Salah
Andre Silva
Bernardo Silva

Elite players from top European teams.

The idea that he is worth more than any of the above 3 players is ridiculous. If he were 21 or something, maybe there would be a chance but he is 28 in September, he'll basically be worth £0 in 5 years.

It is a ludicrous peeing away of money.

What a ridiculous was of shooting down your own point! lol

I suspect part of the apprehension many have with such a high fee is the fact that he would very clearly be a direct Barkley replacement- many on here (myself included) still rate Ross and would like to see what he could do with with the revamped squad- so why drop 50 mil on a position that at this point is not really our highest priority?

But at this point it's clear he's not in Koeman's plans, I trust Ronny so if Gylfi is the answer we sell on Ross to recoup a good chunk of this 50 mil.

Time to leave it. Love Siggy but it's time to put it away, football is business and this would be bad business.
The player decided to pull out of their USA tour 45 minutes before they were due to leave. ' His head is not in the right place '. He wants to leave Swansea and I can see him signing for Everton over the weekend. There is no point in keeping a player who wants out, despite the clubs 50 million valuation for him. I would guess that valuation will now decrease due to them having a player who is basically refusing to play.

No-one cares.
You did lid, do you not see how stupid that post is. You're trying to belittle someone by flexing your arrogance but by doing so you've completely undermined your own rhetoric.

If you really don't care, stick my posts on block. I'll not lose a moment over it but why call me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back