£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
£30m seems about the level for me... but Swansea absolutely don't want to sell (and don't have to either). The fee is way in excess otherwise we won't be able to get him... just hope the additional we have to spend to get him doesn't adversely affect any possible money we might have earmarked for another striker...

If it did, I don't think we'd push our luck.

I think we're all getting too hung up on the fees for players . Let's face it hardly any footballer is worth the fee that's paid for them. The market has gone mad you have to pay to get what you want. Yes sigurdson isn't worth £40m but we want him so we have to pay, we did pretty well the same when selling lukaku he in effect cost utd £100m and he isn't worth that either. It's just a sign of the times now and we just have to get used to it.

Out of those 6, playing in a 4-3-1-2, what would you ideally change to line up against Stoke?

You're saying this;

Klaassen -- Schneiderlin -- Gana
Sigurdsson
Rooney -- Sandro
Is that right? Before i answer your question, who would you have as rotation with them? Should be 2 players in each position ideally...

Not really.

I mean, we're going to be overpaying yeh, but not by too much.

Contributed directly to 23 goals last season. He created 77 chances. He's brilliant from set-pieces and his all-round game is superb.

Lacks pace but makes up for that in power and vision, and can play anywhere behind the striker.

Proven Premier League quality. Maybe £30m is more his value, but Swansea don't want to sell, so that's where the premium comes in.
Yeah I can see that. I'd just feel better if we got him for £30m. Obviously that ain't happening in the current and trending market values. Good stats there and would look forward to a better quality of delivery at set pieces.
I think he's decent but personally I'm not over excited. Good addition to the squad. Improvements being made and this summer is evidence of a good start to the longer term plan.

He is brilliant at creating headed chances from freekicks (52 headed chances created, by far the highest in the league). Apart from that he is an average quality PL player. The idea that he is some superb football with a great touch and supreme vision is bizarre.

He created 25 chances to the feet of a player in 38 games last season. As a comparison Barkley created 64 in 30 games.

How would those stats have looked for Barkley if he played for Swansea instead of Sigurddson is the question though

He adds quality set pieces which is something we've missed since Martinez stopped us doing them in training.

Does he add much from open play, or is he better than Barkley? That is very much up for debate. We wouldn't be going for him if Koeman and Walsh didn't see a role for him, or think he can improve us in some way.

Value for money? I'm not convinced, but it's been a crazy window for transfer fees so far. I feel we may have been able to get better value buying from abroad, but then there is always the risk of them not settling into Premier League football.

But this time last year we had done little to no business of real note. Fans were getting edgy and worried that we'd been sold a pup in Moshiri and that he wasn't the saviour we had hoped. We're now proving we have the cash to splash, so if the amanger wants the player, spend the money, get it done and then move onto the next.

Looks like West Ham are going to have to go at least as high as 25-30 Million for Arnautivic, with Stoke already turning down 15 and 20 Million bids for him. So yes, the market is out of control and is certainly a contributing factor. It's not just us over spending

That being said, 30+ for Sigurdsson is indeed above his value because of his age IMO

What I will say re Pickford is this. If he ends up coming good then 30 Million will be fair because he's still young and we'll probably get years out of him. It's all dependant on how well he does. We've taken a risk there, but I guess Walsh and Co really think he's the real deal

We'll get less out of Sigurdsson due to his age, so immediately that raises questions about the fee

Then again, I was the one banging the drum demanding we pay 50 Million for Butland, so yeah, the system is broken

The most exciting thing is the ambition in what we are doing, the way i see it we are backing ourselves to crack the top four and as such our revenues will grow.

Speculate to accumulate, it is the only way, the objective is to crash through that glass ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back