2013 International Champions Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The phrase 'tie breaker' has no place is fusball, Kay. Just like adverts mid-game, fat linesmen, and sunny weather.

Musta been nice though, nonetheless, to have the biggest team in the world in LA? Also Real Madrid.

I think basically, no one knows the rules.

The advertisements mid-game were weird. Never had that before at baseball, football or MLS. Thanks Guinness.

Did love the sunny weather though. :)

I love being able to watch our team at not 4am. I can't begin to tell you how much. But I'll go back to watching at 4am...(which it is now, bit of insomnia).

Website has LA playing the third place game. That's also what Fox Soccer is showing.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/blog/beat/2...lace-match-against-either-chelsea-or-ac-milan

LOS ANGELES—The LA Galaxy will be playing for a chance to finish third in the Guinness International Champions Cup against either Chelsea or A.C. Milan.

Originally, the tournament had stated that the winner of the Galaxy’s match would be playing in the fifth place game; however, the rules as noted on the bottom of the Guinness International Championship Cup site are as follows:

* POSITION IN CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND DETERMINED BY PLACE IN BRACKET:

1. 2ND AND 3RD SEEDS IN CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND DETERMINED BY BRACKET SEEDING

2. ALL MATCHES TIED AT THE END OF REGULATION DECIDED BY PENALTY KICKS

3. 2 POINTS FOR WIN, 1 POINT FOR PK LOSS, 0 POINTS FOR REGULATION LOSS

4. TIEBREAKERS a- Head to head, b- Goal differential, c- Goals for, d- Goals against

Taking those rules into account, the Galaxy advanced on goal differential of zero while Everton and Juventus had a goal differential of minus one. Therefore, the Galaxy moved up from the fifth place game on Tuesday to the third place on Wednesday.

What does all this mean? Well, the Galaxy are planning to take off for Miami on Sunday morning, so it does not change the team’s travel plans, but it will cause them to play a day later than expected.

^Thank Pirlo for an awful back pass that Robbie Keane scored on in the 88th minute giving LA the goal difference required.

Yes. Pirlo.

PK missing, awful back pass Pirlo.

My jaw hit the floor when he did it.

amazing system. so the thing to do if we wanted a top 4 slot was to lose the penalty shoot out, guaranteeing an easier game to boost goal difference. rules out a chance of the top slot but maybe Martinez should have been realistic and made sure plucky little Everton punched above their weight and grabbed fourth. Unless he didn't understand the rules. Anyway would like a game against Valencia, different challenge from what we have had so far. Unless there is a rule no-one has been made aware of that means we end up playing Tranmere

^Thank Pirlo for an awful back pass that Robbie Keane scored on in the 88th minute giving LA the goal difference required.

Yes. Pirlo.

PK missing, awful back pass Pirlo.

My jaw hit the floor when he did it.

La Galaxy 1-3 Real Madrid
La Galaxy 2-1 Juventus

2 points, 3 for, 4 against Goal difference -1

Everton 1-1 Juventus pens win
Everton 1-2 Madrid

2 points, 2 for, 3 against, Goal difference -1

we'd have still gone to the 5th place match regardless based on goals scored.

La Galaxy 2-1 Juventus

Everton 1-2 Madrid

Thanks! Was still a god awful back pass. :)

La Galaxy 2-1 Juventus

Everton 1-2 Madrid

Galaxy scored three last night did they not?? They would be on a 0 goal difference not -1

The way the brackets have worked is stupid. We beat Juve first game, get beaten by the favorites narrowly in the semi and now we're playing for 5th/6th in the final game? Wtf..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back