Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate Butland isnt even close to the 2 keepers you mentioned.

Totally agree he isn't at anything close to either of those levels when they where at their best for us mate, thing is can't forget Butland is only 22, think Martyn hadn't even joined Palace by then and Southall would have still been at Bury at that age.

Already know that i will never ever see a keeper play for us who is even close to how good Southall was - best Keeper i have ever seen play live, he could go on to be as good as Martyn was for us, palace and leeds though, if he does then that would be money well spent whatever the cost

Think more what i was TRYING to say in a half arsed way, was i just want the securrity of having a very very good keeper playing for us again, and besides those two keepers no other one has given me that feelign that 'yeah he can win us points' - Butland would give us that i reckon.

All pipe dreams anyway as he will end up going to United or City etc

Spot on.

In order for Stoke to sell Butland your talking about a fee that would make them sit up and take notice, so forget 20m, think nearer 35m, then in order to make him wanna leave your gonna have to really pay him, talking 100k+ at least, then factor in that we arent actually a better prospect than Stoke, in his eyes, we dont make Europa all the time, we dont win trophies and we currently reside in 11th place in the league.

Basically, forget Butland, no matter how much you rate him.

Think your more than likely right on that, but currently he's on roughly 25k pw, talk is they are trying to double his wage to 50k so your looking at having to go a fair bit above that, and the fee - yeah you'd be looking at 30m+ due to the 'english premium', is it doable - yeah, is it likely - not by a long shot.

Still think myself like that if we spent 30m on one player that would have the biggest improvement for us and would be obtainable then that would be it though, having a 20-30 goal a season striker at one end and a keeper that can win points for you the other is a brutal combination

Just briefly
Neves is the captain of Porto a notoriously difficult team to negotiate with. Probably the most sort after prospect in Portugal atm cost would be close to 60m€ and bigger clubs will come in if a sniff of him goes for sale.

Rico first choice for selvilla 4th best club in Spain on a level above us and they are not needing to sell. German keepers would be a lot easier to obtain and much more price effective. Possible but unlikely in my book.

Tielemans plays for a club we recently scuffed with negotiations with henen. They will have heaps of suitors and unless we offer way above market value they can refuse to entertain bids.

Champions league would almost be a must with all these players

Better off going for your Rafael silvas, Timo horns harkim Zeiyechs ect much more realistic and obtainable

Mate fair points but a bit over the top as well

Neves - is an 18 yo with not that many games under his belt - you honestly think that Porto would want to break their transfer record on a player sale to let him go, 15-20m more than they sold eother James or Falcao for, more than they sold Hulk for, all said and done he is a defensive midfielder as well - not a striker, winger etc, no chance on earth he'd go for anythign close to 60m, 30-35m tops which is enough to scare off most anyway for a 18yo, dunno about porto being notoriosuly difficult to deal with, thought the difficulty in dealing with them is that a lot of the players they buy have didgy third party ownership attached to them, Neves is a home grown academy player so won't have anythign of the sort, porto are a selling club and they will sell if the price is decent

Tielemans will get sold sooner or later, and the club he plays for even though we messed them about with henen will just accept the highest bidder - its how they survive as a club, maybe he will end up with a load of offers but who knows really

As for CL being a must, think you underestimate the lure of playing in this league, and also the financial difference on wages over playing in a league in portugal, belgium etc and playing in a league that utter dross can earn 40k pw

Mate fair points but a bit over the top as well

Neves - is an 18 yo with not that many games under his belt - you honestly think that Porto would want to break their transfer record on a player sale to let him go, 15-20m more than they sold eother James or Falcao for, more than they sold Hulk for, all said and done he is a defensive midfielder as well - not a striker, winger etc, no chance on earth he'd go for anythign close to 60m, 30-35m tops which is enough to scare off most anyway for a 18yo, dunno about porto being notoriosuly difficult to deal with, thought the difficulty in dealing with them is that a lot of the players they buy have didgy third party ownership attached to them, Neves is a home grown academy player so won't have anythign of the sort, porto are a selling club and they will sell if the price is decent

Tielemans will get sold sooner or later, and the club he plays for even though we messed them about with henen will just accept the highest bidder - its how they survive as a club, maybe he will end up with a load of offers but who knows really

As for CL being a must, think you underestimate the lure of playing in this league, and also the financial difference on wages over playing in a league in portugal, belgium etc and playing in a league that utter dross can earn 40k pw

Agree with all of this.

I do see where @Westend Blue is coming from on Neves though. He's basicallt forced his way into the squad as a kid and then was made captain. He's basically their Barkley, Kane type talisman so if Porto sold him the fans wouldnt be happy...it would need to be a big offer to appease them.

would he come to us? I would like to think so yes, and i think he would be the ideal player as a "marquee" signing for Moshiri / Martinez this summer.

Yarmolenko would be amazing...BUT signing Porto and Portugals 18 year old defensive midfielder who could take over Barrys role in 12months time would be a massive statement. Not only for the message if would send to our top players but also it would show the fans we mean business and have pre-planned fot barry leaving.

Tielemans i think easier to sign and cheaper. Both superior technically to Niguez but i fear he would be too hard to prize away from atletico and why move anyway? Other one would be Sergi Roberto of Barca who we were linked with several times before but hes broken through this season so that ship seems to have sailed.

Dont understand why people wanna spunk a load on Butland personally, the lads very decent, but not worth the English premium.

Few other names we should consider :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predrag_Rajković
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubén_Blanco_Veiga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Scuffet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerónimo_Rulli
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timo_Horn

Scuffet and Horn dont have great distributin apparently.

Rulli not sure he would get a work permit though was in Argentina squad so may have the same claim as Mori.

Veiga is a bit random.

The Serbian is meant to be quite highly rated but playing in israel (strange fact is serbias 1st choice keeper also plays in israel).

Thing is though, if we were able to get Butland for £30mil he basically guarantees points, familiar with the league and a real statement to our England players especially of where we are aiming for, Stones would be happy wouldnt he?

Failing that, Leno or Rico would also be top signings, if we had a top keeper added to the team then our spine looks really very strong indeed and comparable to anyone in the league, even Man City.

Wow, we may have a bit of money now but we still can't afford to spunk £30m+ on an 18 year old gamble. Seriously, who on here has seen him play more than 5 times? The same goes for Tielemans.

"But but but, he plays for Porto and for Portgual!??!???!? He's class lad, he proper bossed the game against Braga the other day lad"

Scuffet and Horn dont have great distributin apparently.

Rulli not sure he would get a work permit though was in Argentina squad so may have the same claim as Mori.

Veiga is a bit random.

The Serbian is meant to be quite highly rated but playing in israel (strange fact is serbias 1st choice keeper also plays in israel).

Thing is though, if we were able to get Butland for £30mil he basically guarantees points, familiar with the league and a real statement to our England players especially of where we are aiming for, Stones would be happy wouldnt he?

Failing that, Leno or Rico would also be top signings, if we had a top keeper added to the team then our spine looks really very strong indeed and comparable to anyone in the league, even Man City.

lol

Wow, we may have a bit of money now but we still can't afford to spunk £30m+ on an 18 year old gamble. Seriously, who on here has seen him play more than 5 times? The same goes for Tielemans.

"But but but, he plays for Porto and for Portgual!??!???!? He's class lad, he proper bossed the game against Braga the other day lad"

See you just edited your post....about watching him.

He's one of the most highly rated young players in world football and one of Portos (if not the best) top players and captain at 18.

To get the worlds best players you cant just wait around until they are proven as they go to Barca or Madrid etc. You have to sign them young like United did with Ronaldo and Rooney.

Theres a reason why Neves is so highly rated and Portos captain and thats why his transfer fee is so high. Either sign them young and watch them develop further into possibly the world class bracket or sign players below their level.

I hope Martinez continues with his vision.

He's one of the most highly rated young players in world football and one of Portos (if not the best) top players and captain at 18.

To get the worlds best players you cant just wait around until they are proven as they go to Barca or Madrid etc. You have to sign them young like United did with Ronaldo and Rooney.

Theres a reason why Neves is so highly rated and Portos captain and thats why his transfer fee is so high. Either sign them young and watch them develop further into possibly the world class bracket or sign players below their level.

Whats the joke?

ive only seen Horn a few times and Scuffet twice and am no keeper expert....reports on both say their weakness is their distribution.

The Goat admitted in another post he hadnt see any of those players he named so not sure why my comment was amusing?

I edited it to include Tielemans.. not that I see any reason that that would make a difference.

Ok, i'll play along even though i'm certain that you've never seen him play and have just found lots of articles from people who have. Why would Porto sell him now for £30m to Everton, if everyone knows he's going to be a big star in the future who they could sell onto PSG, Real, City, Barca etc for so much more in a couple of years?

There is a reason the Ronaldo's and Messi's end up at the best teams.

I edited it to include Tielemans.. not that I see any reason that that would make a difference.

Ok, i'll play along even though i'm certain that you've never seen him play and have just found lots of articles from people who have. Why would Porto sell him now for £30m to Everton, if everyone knows he's going to be a big star in the future who they could sell onto PSG, Real, City, Barca etc for so much more in a couple of years?

There is a reason the Ronaldo's and Messi's end up at the best teams.

You're "certain" that i havent seen someone play despite being freely available to watch online as he plays in one of the top sides in Portual as well as in European competitions....yeah ok mate.

Why does anyone sell players? You realise we got Fellaini before he went to United right? We have Stones, Lukaku etc....why did they sign for us? Because they were young and needed to be developed more and tested in the league consistently....

As for Ronaldo, he signed for United after a friendly with Sporting...for £12mil. He could have also gone to Arsenal if they moved faster, we could have also signed an array of players like Essien, Hazard and Cech under Moyes...you have to move on them when they are young.

Messi came through their youth system like Barkley and Rooney for us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back