6 + 2 Point Deductions

Moving the goalposts massively ffs… I guess the only positive would be we’d probably be compliant now before the June deadline
I suppose it depends.

The PSR calculation is 15m every 3 years, Owners are allowed to "prop" that up by "investing" 30m per Season, suppose it depends if Mosh wants to dig deep this year.

If City win this, the competition ceases to be a competition.

If they get beaten, there may be way to restore some sort of feeling of a league worth partaking in. The development of the EPL had at least some sort of basis in democracy. What City want is to be able to act in sport how they do in domestic politics.

Giving state backed teams the ability to effectively spend whatever they want, would be like me or you going into auction against Elon Musk, for something he really wants. Teams like Everton will be left with cast offs and undesirables, Teams could stockpile players and have 3 or 4 squads for different competitions. If they win this argument, they win all sporting arguments based upon the same principles of restruction of competition. They can effectively attempt to rewrite the rulebook in their favour.

39th game? We want it, and if you don't its a restriction of trade. To the courts.

50% of games abroad? We want it, and if you don't its a restriction of trade. To the courts.

Jib off FA cup.participation for anybody who's in Europe...... you get the jist.

Siding with City on this case, in my opinion is a VERY risky, and maybe naive move. Unless you think Everton shouldn't be competing alongside them of course.
But it isn't really a competition now anymore because of the existing rules. The current rules are totally skewed in favour of a small number of clubs, every other Premiership team is playing in a different league effectively..

There was a time in football that the right manager could make almost any cub a title challenger.
There are now only three or four that can win the league.

If City win their case what then will be so different? Maybe the three or four who can win the title may change a little but that would be all.

All the others would still be Cannon fodder and still have to sell their best players when the big clubs come calling.

I really don't see much difference.

Last edited:

But it isn't really a competition now anymore because of the existing rules. The current rules are totally skewed in favour of a small number of clubs, every other Premiership team is playing in a different league effectively..

There was a time in football that the right manager could make almost any cub a title challenger.
There are now only three or four that can win the league.

If City win their case what then will be so different? Maybe the three or four who can win the title may change a little but that would be all.

All the others would still be Cannon fodder and still have to sell their best players when the big clubs come calling.

I really don't see much difference.
I think the difference is stopping the slide down a very steep hill. Yes the current rules are poor and punish ambitious teams, but removing the blocks entirely would potentially seal Everton out of competition for years, if not generations.

Giving City and others the ability to write a blank check means they will always be miles above us and others. They have a 10+ year headstart on recruitment, facilities, championships, and way more money than we could realistically spend. Sure, we could try to get an oil state, but why wouldn't they go get Brighton or Villa or any of the other desperate clubs?

You can change the current rules to allow for more equitable spending. We need to be pulling these teams down to the rest of us, not let them pull away and hope that we can catch up from leagues away.

Could this all have an impact on someone’s decision to buy us you think?

As the outcome of this City legal action or any future PSR rule changes could have an impact on what any potential owner could do with us and how far they could take us?

I'm surprised we are agreeing with it now.

If Usmanov was here our fans would be behind City, he was trying to do what they do.
Unless Usmanov thinks he'll be back sooner rather than later. Want to see sportswashing on a level the middle eastern clubs can only dream of...

A fair bit of whataboutery and false equivalence in this thread.

As a basis I think it’s fair to say that:

A) current PSR framework needs reworking. It needs to be fairer to all (including clubs outside the PL). It also somehow needs to be aligned with UEFA rules. If not, then it’s a choice between a more competitive PL where the top clubs find it harder to compete in CL or a less competitive league where only 4 clubs can win league AND those 4 clubs can also be only English clubs with realistic chance of winning CL

B) almost every club will have some sort of sponsor or part owner with some ethically questionable attributes

In terms of A I think we’d all want a more competitive league but one were on field success is cautiously rewarded in terms financial capabilities. I think everyone would also like a league where each club has an equal say.

In terms of B I think we’d all like club ownership and sponsorship deals that were fair and ethical.

What City are trying to do, more than any other club before is take away democratic nature of PL, make it less fair and increase financial disparity between top and bottom of the league. They have arguably done this already to some degree though these next steps would the biggest step change in this regard since the changes in Champions League finances and structure.

Now Everton are backing one of them to ruin the game even more.
I suspect that was BS.

I see the Mail (not a paper I'd ordinarily cite on anything) have named some co-conspirators, and we're not amongst them.

f4c2bd5c-b7df-47a9-8598-cfd550add77b.png

However, Mail Sport can reveal Chelsea, Newcastle and Aston Villa are sympathetic to City's stance.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back