6 + 2 Point Deductions

I can't understand why the PL aren't going their own way with their own TV service.

From my scribbled sums there, they'd only need 5 million paying subscribers at £30/month to top what Sky / TNT / the BBC are giving them.

That would also represent a substantial discount for consumers, too. I make it the undercounted rate for both Sky Sports via Now TV and TNT is £65 / month.

They could also keep highlights on the BBC and receive ~£60 million per season on top of that.

And all of that is without then extending access to the service to whatever countries they wished as global distribution rights deals end.

Cos you close the shop then.

£6bill is domestic only deal.

Overseas is currently at £5billion. Don't know when that's up, but that ends up being where the "growth" supposed to be at.

So it's a £10+billion industry. Why break it?

Hence why the 3pm blackout will stay because that's where the majority of game packages are sold abroad.

If the PL decided to go down that route, they'd be a big upfront cost (billions) for streaming infrastructure and would bottom out at some point (see Netflix and their debt/price increases for example). They would carry everything that comes with broadcasting games on their own.

Keeping it this way means there's more doors open and options (games give to clubs to show for example).

It's a buyers market. So while countries are willing to spend billions on it...why close that off?

I can't understand why the PL aren't going their own way with their own TV service.

From my scribbled sums there, they'd only need 5 million paying subscribers at £30/month to top what Sky / TNT / the BBC are giving them.

That would also represent a substantial discount for consumers, too. I make it the undercounted rate for both Sky Sports via Now TV and TNT is £65 / month.

They could also keep highlights on the BBC and receive ~£60 million per season on top of that.

And all of that is without then extending access to the service to whatever countries they wished as global distribution rights deals end.

It could potentially break the likes of Sky and TNT if they were to lose the rights to top level football.

The more I think about the more it's just going to be reduced to -6 and the usual gobshyts (Souness, Keane etc) will say we should be 'grateful' for their leniency.

The PL changed the rules about the stadium midway through proceedings. We should not be docked a single point, but if the PL is as much of a Qatari / Saudi PIF dictator puppet as we rightly suspect they are, then -6 is (though extremely unjust) something of a result.

Whole thing stinks. If relegation didn't endanger our entire existence and/or our occupation of the stadium, I'd not care a jot about going to the Champ for a squad reboot.

Sure we've been in the top flight for 70 years. But we've been irrelevant and 'off brand' for about half that time.
depressing cos it’s true

I hope and think you are right

I have 3pts total running round my head today and I think it will be as a token gesture because righting it all off now brings it's own hassle, even if it should be
Think 3pts is something people both sides can accept on appeal, though it still stinks to high heaven
I reckon it's going to be 5/6pts, knowing our luck they will tell us to sling it though!

Cos you close the shop then.
A shop where the prices just stopped going up.

The latest increase is below inflation.

£6bill is domestic only deal.
Yes, I even acknowledged that.

Overseas is currently at £5billion. Don't know when that's up, but that ends up being where the "growth" supposed to be at.
Yes, and the customers in those territories wanting to watch the PL would pay the PL directly.

So it's a £10+billion industry. Why break it?
From their perspective, because there's more money to be made.

Hence why the 3pm blackout will stay because that's where the majority of game packages are sold abroad.
There's no reason why that couldn't continue. Netflix isn't the same service worldwide, nor is Prime or Disney+.

If the PL decided to go down that route, they'd be a big upfront cost (billions) for streaming infrastructure and would bottom out at some point (see Netflix and their debt/price increases for example). They would carry everything that comes with broadcasting games on their own.
I agree with that. This is the only sticking point. They've had plenty of time that could've been spent investing in infrastructure and expertise. They have four more years now to do exactly that.

Keeping it this way means there's more doors open and options (games give to clubs to show for example).
No, there are fewer doors open than if the league owned its own television rights worldwide. They could sell sub-packages in whatever manner they wished.

It's a buyers market. So while countries are willing to spend billions on it...why close that off?
Because cutting out the middleman is more profitable - and the market just stalled.

Last edited:
I don't think they will have expected the negative reaction from outside the club. I didn't at all. I think the political pressure might sway it

Giving us points again in the same reason is nuts too really, especially for the teams around us. Doing stuff like this mid seasons affects do many teams. So much uncertainty
Yeah, I'm with you here.
They clearly thought they could make an example of Everton without the legal drama of taking on City and chelsea, they likely expected an 'about time' response from the public. Including stuff like officially referring to a wealthy owner shows the amateurish poorly thought through nature of all this.
It's obvious that they made it up as they went along and opened the door for the likes of Burnham to pick it apart.

It leaves them in a tricky spot. They set a precedent either way.
I'm not sure why the appeal cant be heard and ruled on in weeks but it wont be, it'll be months.
And if I was a fan of any of the other clubs at the bottom of the league, I wouldn't be happy about that.

The corruption is more cowardice and incompetence for me.

How can there be 3 clubs as Everton can only take 1 position. Where does it stop as well? Any team we took points off could argue we'd have finished higher if it wasn't for that Everton result. The whole things a mess and can't believe the Club and league are contemplating it. It's nonsense.
We could twist it the other in years to come,say if things went bad for us this season, sayings things like if City/Chelsea got relegated, lose lots of points, that we would have stayed up etc, and we want money for that for example

How can there be 3 clubs as Everton can only take 1 position. Where does it stop as well? Any team we took points off could argue we'd have finished higher if it wasn't for that Everton result. The whole things a mess and can't believe the Club and league are contemplating it. It's nonsense.
Not to mention if we’d been penalised in 21/22 and been relegated, which is what they claim should have happened, all Championship sides should have 6 points deducted from their 22/23 total because we’d have battered them all twice (maybe), and we are owed whatever prize money you get for winning the Championship.

All utter nonsense and how one single legal bod hasn’t just told all sides to shut and go away is bizarre.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back