6 + 2 Point Deductions

They get rid of a club who's owner has ties to a sanctioned oligarch but who they can't do anything about because he has a British passport.

So what? It’s not like the Premier League is a bastion of morality. They literally sign off on a club being owned by a country that beheads people for public entertainment.

You need a stronger argument for me to buy in to this conspiracy theory.

Let's be honest. Nobody outside of ourselves gives a * about Everton or Forest in the modern game. We are nothing and don't matter, if we drop we'll be forgotten about and end up the EFLs problem. You truly believe the plastics will really care about this?

The only reason Carragher and that say it's bad is because he wants Liverpool to inherit Citys titles.
It will, because they’re facing a league table covered in asterisks and various point deductions. The heavy handed approach to Everton and now it seems Forest, is storing up a huge headache for them when they come to deal with City and Chelsea.

Last edited:

Really can’t see them saying “ahh well done lads, you have done a great job with the cost cutting, apart from all the big loans and the severance payments to the board members and manager and coaching staff, and oh, who’s the big handsome Portuguese fella wearing a KFC cap.”

Being flippant. I think the regs do mention the things you have put in place to improve the situation is taken into account?? But have we managed to trim the squad but lose more due to the above? The stadium expense soaking up cash and forcing loans for operating expenses is a killer. But that’s due to a decision (to build a stadium) taken years ago, and it was a good decision in that climate. Can’t change it now.

Where is football finance expert Kieron Maguire when you need him, to spout stuff he has just read in publically available information.

Again…why?

Why would they want to do it? What’s their motivation?
I don’t agree they would but to play devils advocate here, the relegation battle is a lot spicier if we have a 10-15 point deduction and Forest have 5-10 taken off them too

In a season with the most nailed on bottom three I can remember, hitting us and Forest makes their table more interesting…

Because there is the pressure from government to regulate football more effectively, and the government is pushing to introduce an independent regulator, believing (rightly) that they can’t manage themselves. A popular theory, that I’m inclined to agree with, is that Everton are an easy target to clobber with heavy sanctions to show they can regulate themselves effectively. We’re big enough to matter, but not big enough to trouble the top 6 cartel.

As I’ve said in another post, this is a nonsensical explanation.

This would be the fastest way for the Premier League to prove that they aren’t capable of good governance. Governance isn’t about clobbering people, it’s about rational, fair and reasonable administration. This isn’t that.

The government, particularly in an election year, wouldn’t be impressed if the Premier League literally bullied one of the countries most famous and established sporting institutions in to administration, particularly with the knock-on effect Everton’s demise would have on connected businesses.

Really can’t see them saying “ahh well done lads, you have done a great job with the cost cutting, apart from all the big loans and the severance payments to the board members and manager and coaching staff, and oh, who’s the big handsome Portuguese fella wearing a KFC cap.”

Being flippant. I think the regs do mention the things you have put in place to improve the situation is taken into account?? But have we managed to trim the squad but lose more due to the above? The stadium expense soaking up cash and forcing loans for operating expenses is a killer. But that’s due to a decision (to build a stadium) taken years ago, and it was a good decision in that climate. Can’t change it now.

Where is football finance expert Kieron Maguire when you need him, to spout stuff he has just read in publically available information.
They'll probably say we should have sold more saleable assets and signed cheaper replacements.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back