2021/22 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argument to be made he's our most important player. A fit and firing Doucoure in the middle not only provides bundles of energy and a direct thrust which we've sorely lacked for large parts of the season, but he brings more out of the players around him. Allan looks more comfortable, allows DVB to not worry as much defensively, etc.

If we can keep him, Allan and VDB fit, I'm quietly confident that we will be ok. What has become really obvious this season, is that without Doucoure, we lack energy and power in midfield. We really need to be looking to bring in a young midfielder, with the same kind of physical presence, who can play along side Doucoure against certain teams when required and also offer cover should Doucoure be injured.

What amazes me is just how many people call this fella crap. Without him our midfield is knackered.
The two aren't mutually exclusive though. He's not crap like, but he's not particularly good either. He is quick, strong, and energetic though, and as they're qualities that nobody else in the midfield has he's massively important to us.

Was just pleased to see that as soon as we had 3 decent centre midfielders fit Frank went to a 4 3 3. That shape suits the team so much better

I think we should have been playing that all season regardless. Even if it meant Gomes, Gbamin, Onyango, Townsend or Holgate having to play the odd game there.

Our single biggest issue for the entire season has been getting overrun and outnumbered in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.