Aiden McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thank The Lord that jelavic never got the privilege of wearing the famous No.9 !!

soccer-barclays-premier-league-norwich-city-v-everton-carrow-road-5-630x419.jpg

The gifted young Glaswegian, who allowed his football soul to be wooed over the sea to Ireland, has lit up the season with his dancing feet and dipping shoulders, leaving magic dust and shell-shocked defenders in his wake... McGeady is the fans' kind of player. Big, ugly centre-halves might be vital components of successful teams but they don't affect the box office. You don't make up your mind to take in a game just to see a bloke built like a brick outhouse boot a ball into the stand.
But McGeady and his ilk? Things of beauty they are. They make turnstiles click like machine gun fire and they warm the soul on a cold winter's day.

Some nice words from an old Chick Young article. Goes on to say that he was a ball hogg but has grown out of that now.

Four years ago I stood with Martin O'Neill at Celtic's Barrowfield training ground on a spring afternoon and watched the club's youngsters play. McGeady shone like a diamond in a coal face.

It was as if the ball was laced to his boot. They couldn't get it off him, couldn't get near him.

Celtic's Aiden McGeady is challenged by AC Milan's Rino Gattuso
Aiden McGeady has come of age at the highest level
Except he loved it so dearly he couldn't bear to part with it. He should have been in dribblers' anonymous.

Beating three men was never enough - he always needed to take on just one more.

And so the strikers grow weary of making runs and checking out of them only to go again...and again...and again. They are, after all, playing football, not dancing the Grand Old Duke of York.

O'Neill told me that at that stage of McGeady's development it was not a problem, but there would come a time when the player would realise that the pass and the cross were as telling as the mazy run, when the extraction of the Michael of just a couple of players was enough.

And now the Celtic player has reached - and eased into - that stage.

when the extraction of the Michael of just a couple of players was enough.

Anyone who says 'extracting the Michael' or anything along those lines should be publically executed in the most brutal manner possible.

It will be great to see him turning out for us - I can't even remember the last time we had a genuine out and out winger playing regularly.
Anyone?

Don`t want to worry anyone, but in the Tenerife photos Magaye is wearing a number 7 training top!!, hopfully he has just picked up the wrong top and not our backup striker now!!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back