Aiden McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.
He came on as a sub... wrongly.
Besic to support the midfield or Stones to bolster the defence should have been the move as Arsenal were getting on top.

wow. talk about scapegoating

Edit: thought you were chatting about McGeady who I don't think played against Arsenal. sorry

I am talking about McGeady and defending starts from the front. Giving the ball away and jogging back is not going to win him any fans. I'm a big fan of his skill but he needs to learn to keep the ball better.

I also agree after that we have a lot of chances to defend but it starts from the top.

Indirectly he cost us a goal against Leicester and I'd say a goal against Arsenal too. At that time in a game it's all about playing keep ball not trying fancy passes and losing the ball, putting unnecessary pressure on our defence. The sooner he learns that the better. If he keeps it up he'll soon have the crowd on his back.
This is all pretty tenuous. Where do you start and end that blame game? If you lose the ball half way up the pitch and you have lots of players behind the ball there is no way you can hang a goal conceded on an attacking player. Most goals conceded by all teams come from attacks breaking down and the opposition capitalising on possession. Ergo - attackers concede and defenders aren't responsible?

You can only call someone responsible for a goal conceded if they've made an obvious error. That goes with the territory of being a defender/GK most times.

This is all pretty tenuous. Where do you start and end that blame game? If you lose the ball half way up the pitch and you have lots of players behind the ball there is no way you can hang a goal conceded on an attacking player. Most goals conceded by all teams come from attacks breaking down and the opposition capitalising on possession. Ergo - attackers concede and defenders aren't responsible?

You can only call someone responsible for a goal conceded if they've made an obvious error. That goes with the territory of being a defender/GK most times.

I guess it's when you do it repeatedly, constantly losing possession in areas of the pitch - but to be honest, Mirallas was well more susceptible to doing it that McGeady was, but he isn't the prime contender for being a boo boy.

Im still not sold on McGeady

I certainly wouldnt go for a Kev, McGeady and Atsu trio behind the striker as @davek suggested. I hate the idea of being that predictable - 3 greedy mavericks (no criticism intended) who just want to beat people and look the dogs danglies. I thought RM got it spot on last year by playing Kev or Deulofeu, and rarely both.

McGeady..hmmm... I dunno. Hes got the tools but I just think that hes very predictable (hear me out...) in the way that he is ALWAYS going to try and beat his man or do something fancy. I admire his confidence and he is obviously an asset (his cameo vs Cardiff last year was impressive, particularly) but I just dont see any genuine creativity in the way Pienaar and - dare I say it - Osman have. Those two have that bit of craft which I think compliments an out-and-out winger on the other side.

I dont know blues, jury is still out for me. Ive only just accepted KM and all his faults/inconsistencies!

I guess it's when you do it repeatedly, constantly losing possession in areas of the pitch - but to be honest, Mirallas was well more susceptible to doing it that McGeady was, but he isn't the prime contender for being a boo boy.
Correct.

I see your point but at that time in a game it's important to keep the ball especially with your defensive midfielders becoming tired. Yes Mirallas does it and Lukaku does to, the odd silly back heal straight to the opposition. These are just areas of the game you work on and lower the risk of conceding late goals.

Just infuriates me seeing McCarthy breaking his balls in the 75th minute to win the ball back and our attacking players giving it away so easy.

Im still not sold on McGeady

I certainly wouldnt go for a Kev, McGeady and Atsu trio behind the striker as @davek suggested. I hate the idea of being that predictable - 3 greedy mavericks (no criticism intended) who just want to beat people and look the dogs danglies. I thought RM got it spot on last year by playing Kev or Deulofeu, and rarely both.

McGeady..hmmm... I dunno. Hes got the tools but I just think that hes very predictable (hear me out...) in the way that he is ALWAYS going to try and beat his man or do something fancy. I admire his confidence and he is obviously an asset (his cameo vs Cardiff last year was impressive, particularly) but I just dont see any genuine creativity in the way Pienaar and - dare I say it - Osman have. Those two have that bit of craft which I think compliments an out-and-out winger on the other side.

I dont know blues, jury is still out for me. Ive only just accepted KM and all his faults/inconsistencies!

TBF, that was pre-Eto'o signing.

McGeady: he's been acceptable so far, no more or less than that. IMO he needs to be played on the left if he is to play. He can hit off both wings but he's more accomplished as a player coming on onto his right foot.

I

I see your point but at that time in a game it's important to keep the ball especially with your defensive midfielders becoming tired. Yes Mirallas does it and Lukaku does to, the odd silly back heal straight to the opposition. These are just areas of the game you work on and lower the risk of conceding late goals.

Just infuriates me seeing McCarthy breaking his balls in the 75th minute to win the ball back and our attacking players giving it away so easy.
But we dont know what Martinez's instructions are to different players from game to game. All we do know is what McGeady revealed in interview: that he was surprised he wasn't being tasked by Martinez to track back more as he had been at Spartak.

TBF, that was pre-Eto'o signing.

McGeady: he's been acceptable so far, no more or less than that. IMO he needs to be played on the left if he is to play. He can hit off both wings but he's more accomplished as a player coming on onto his right foot.

Yeah agreed.

Question to blues, do we think that with everyone fit he would even make the first 11? Or further, the 18?

Might sound daft, but we have some serious depth and for me its a coin toss between him and Atsu - the latter I have seen none of and McGeady I have seen nothing to inspire me that hes a definite

But we dont know what Martinez's instructions are to different players from game to game. All we do know is what McGeady revealed in interview: that he was surprised he wasn't being tasked by Martinez to track back more as he had been at Spartak.

Tracking back isn't the main point I'm trying to make, giving the ball away so cheaply during a critical part of the game is.

Yeah agreed.

Question to blues, do we think that with everyone fit he would even make the first 11? Or further, the 18?

Might sound daft, but we have some serious depth and for me its a coin toss between him and Atsu - the latter I have seen none of and McGeady I have seen nothing to inspire me that hes a definite

For now in the 18 man squad definitely, I'd have Mirallas and Pienaar ahead of him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back