Aiden McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of agree, but I think that his utility goes beyond this. Pienaar is one of the few players who can provide that spark of inspiration to open up the defense. If Stoke have 10 players in the box, McGeady and Mirallas aren't going to be able to just dribble through all of them and score.
Despite the Leicester game where 'Bainaar' paid dividends for a half of football, I think we have to have players in wide positions who dont slow us down. Pienaar slows us down. Obviously there's times when we play better opposition when the manager will have to determine if it's better to play Pienaar from the off and get a foothold in the game, but by and large we have to be upping the pace and attack rate against the vast majority of clubs in the PL. Atsu is someone who can contribute to that, so I think that's the way Martinez is thinking and why he brought that type of player in. Pienaar wouldn't have played against Leicester if Mirallas had been fit for 90 minutes or Atsu had had a week with the squad.

As said above, better hitting off his right and, for me, starting on the left as he does for Ireland.

If the owners of the club do their usual wallet padlocking act regarding a replacement for Barkley/playmaker, I wouldn't mind seeing a three in behind Lukaku of

McGeady----Mirallas------Atsu

I reckon KM can give us that drive from midfield that Barkley gave us.

Can't see Pienaar getting dropped after seeing him and Baines back to their best. Also can't see McGeady coming in for Atsu considering his game/goal last week.

HOOWWWEEEVVVEEERRRR, we raped Arsenal on the counter last season, so Pienaar's pace could be a consideration in Martinez's decision.

EDIT
I thought this was the Arsenal match thread.

Can't see Pienaar getting dropped after seeing him and Baines back to their best. Also can't see McGeady coming in for Atsu considering his game/goal last week.

HOOWWWEEEVVVEEERRRR, we raped Arsenal on the counter last season, so Pienaar's pace could be a consideration in Martinez's decision.

EDIT
I thought this was the Arsenal match thread.
Hopefully Martinez doesn't get too fixated on playing players week in week out and tailors his decision according to what we have to do to win against opponents.

Hopefully Martinez doesn't get too fixated on playing players week in week out and tailors his decision according to what we have to do to win against opponents.

Form is an amazing thing though. If I were a manager, I'd play players based on form before tactics.

Look at Ramsey last season. Prior to the season starting, I hardly think AW would had played Ramsey, in fact there were plenty of rumours of him going. Ramsey had a great start and continued it, it made AW play him instead of perhaps thinking too much in the games tactically.

It's going to the be the same. Pienaar will play on Saturday, with Atus coming later on.

Form is an amazing thing though. If I were a manager, I'd play players based on form before tactics.

Look at Ramsey last season. Prior to the season starting, I hardly think AW would had played Ramsey, in fact there were plenty of rumours of him going. Ramsey had a great start and continued it, it made AW play him instead of perhaps thinking too much in the games tactically.

It's going to the be the same. Pienaar will play on Saturday, with Atus coming later on.
Maybe, but you could look at what happened second half v Leicester and say Pienaar was tidy and kept the ball but was part of the reason we weren't getting at Leicester enough. I'd say McGeady's excuse second half was that he flagged because he had no attacking support form a RBin Stones not used to overlapping play...certainly not at Everton anyway.

Maybe, but you could look at what happened second half v Leicester and say Pienaar was tidy and kept the ball but was part of the reason we weren't getting at Leicester enough. I'd say McGeady's excuse second half was that he flagged because he had no attacking support form a RBin Stones not used to overlapping play...certainly not at Everton anyway.

McGeady was at fault for the second Leicester goal as he gave the ball away trying to play a flash ball after turning in to trouble rather than being 'neat and tidy'. He should have rolled a 10 yard square ball to McCarthy and it was on for about 5 seconds. Pienaar would have.

McGeady was at fault for the second Leicester goal as he gave the ball away trying to play a flash ball after turning in to trouble rather than being 'neat and tidy'. He should have rolled a 10 yard square ball to McCarthy and it was on for about 5 seconds. Pienaar would have.
There was an awful lot to do after that. We had 8 men behind the ball when our move broke down. That goal was down to defensive errors - principally Stones ball watching and leaving his position.

There was an awful lot to do after that. We had 8 men behind the ball when our move broke down. That goal was down to defensive errors - principally Stones ball watching and leaving his position.

Indirectly he cost us a goal against Leicester and I'd say a goal against Arsenal too. At that time in a game it's all about playing keep ball not trying fancy passes and losing the ball, putting unnecessary pressure on our defence. The sooner he learns that the better. If he keeps it up he'll soon have the crowd on his back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back