2023/24 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man alive. That's the problem right there, they're fleeting! We need a consistent performer in probably the most important position on the park for us, not someone with lead in their boots.
I think you’re missing my point.

The major issue here isn’t that they are fleeting. The major issue is that we’re talking about removing them altogether - with no one in the squad capable of replacing them.

I’m all up for upgrading on Iwobi, but not tossing him away without replacing him with someone at least as capable.

I don’t see that as a particularly crazy opinion.

Called it months ago a London club would come in late for him and club would cash in.

To me he's always been an odd fit in Dycheball and with Danjuma moving that side with Beto coming in and Harrison hopefully fit soon he's expendable.

Didn't think he was that amazing when loads were raving about him under Lampard so a very underwhelming four years here.

I think you’re missing my point.

The major issue here isn’t that they are fleeting. The major issue is that we’re talking about removing them altogether - with no one in the squad capable of replacing them.

I’m all up for upgrading on Iwobi, but not tossing him away without replacing him with someone at least as capable.

I don’t see that as a particularly crazy opinion.
Garner, Oanana, Harrison, McNeil will all provide far better options.

Garner, Oanana, Harrison, McNeil will all provide far better options.

Okay - but only one of those is a new face, and necessarily a replacement has to be a new face, because otherwise you’re just creating a hole somewhere else.

Look, I hope you’re right. I hope everyone gleeful at Iwobi’s departure is right and it’s no big deal.

Personally, I respect what the guy has done for us - even if he’s made me tear my hair out on occasion.

Okay - but only one of those is a new face, and necessarily a replacement has to be a new face, because otherwise you’re just creating a hole somewhere else.

Look, I hope you’re right. I hope everyone gleeful at Iwobi’s departure is right and it’s no big deal.

Personally, I respect what the guy has done for us - even if he’s made me tear my hair out on occasion.
6 goals and 11 assists in 4 years.

I will throw a party when he wobbles out of this club.

I can’t remember the last time I said ‘wow didn’t Iwobi play well’.

Just another poor player that ended up at Everton after a massive club realised he was never going to make it for them.

Every manager he's ever had at Arsenal and Everton has made him a regular first team player. They've all shown their belief in him. Don't get me wrong, I think we'll manage fine without him, but some of the stick that he's getting on here is ridiculous.
That's not true at all. I'm not going to go into the great detail of checking because I couldn't be arsed but he's played 223 PL games in his career, he's either been subbed off or subbed on in 146 of them meaning he's only played a full 90 minutes in roughly 1/3 of his games, that is the very definition of a squad player.

Fact of the matter is Arsenal have a good history of playing youth, even beyond them being good enough and the season he played most for them was directly before they laughed us out of the room when we actually offered to buy him, they couldn't accept the offer quick enough. I would say it's very clear that in his entire career Lampard is the only manager that truly wanted him, which just so happened to coincide with Lampard being by far the worst manager he's played under.

It is no coincidence to me or anyone else that can watch a football game without stats that he suddenly became a regular first team member once the club started going further down. Since signing his minutes have increased a lot season after season, with the exception of Ancelotti's time here, where clearly one of the greatest managers of all time clearly wasn't going to put up with a player of his calibre anywhere near his team, in that time he barely played to start that season up until December, where we were like 2nd at Christmas or something mad like that. Obviously I'm not saying that he was the reason we dropped off so massively the second half of the season but he played less that season for a team that was in the Champions League spots, he played more for a team that dropped to 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back