ALEX YOUNG RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time ago, I seem to remember being on the Gwladys ages before the K O.
We queued up from 11, gates opened at 12, we were very near the front of our queue, in we legged in to get our spec on the wall right behind the goal.
looking back I think a bad situation could've happened under the wrong circumstances, we were crushed that tight. It wasn't the usual everybody push forward to view the action that minute. This was a constant crush for 2 hrs, I could hardly breathe...but was young enough to know no better and have no worries - Ignorance is bliss

I didn't think Rankin played a game that season
So I checked - he didn't
Frank Darcy played a couple of games as Sub.
I also thought that Gerry H. played and scored a worldie Vs Leicester - but that was the season before...played Vs City.

Memory eh, thank God for the 'bible'
I just used my fading memory not many left though is there even the 1969 team so sad it was a harder different game in those days too heavier pitches heavier ball etc etc somevplayers not as fit etc!
Imaginginevthe golden Visiosion playing on the surfaces today ?

I can't think of any other player who had been a league & cup winner in Scotland outside of the Old Firm, and then a league and cup winner in England.

Hope Hearts give him a good send off as well.
Maybe Dave McKay another Hearts player, but
I didn't think Rankin played a game that season
So I checked - he didn't
Frank Darcy played a couple of games as Sub.
I also thought that Gerry H. played and scored a worldie Vs Leicester - but that was the season before...played Vs City.

Memory eh, thank God for the 'bible'

Degsy, was that Gerry Humphreys goal against Leicester or Sheffield Wed, I remember Colin Green scored a cracker against
Leicester in a 3-2 win, think it was the winner.

..no problem, I really enjoyed it too. Mrs Young confirming that Catterick wasn't keen on Alex was interesting as was the early friendship with Ron Yeats.
Excellent read. Here he is pictured with Yeats. No stereotypes there.:)

C5xxHDWXEAEHcRL.jpg

Maybe Dave McKay another Hearts player, but

Degsy, was that Gerry Humphreys goal against Leicester or Sheffield Wed, I remember Colin Green scored a cracker against
Leicester in a 3-2 win, think it was the winner.

68-69 Vs Leicester, We did them 7-1 with a very young Shilton in goal, that was the season they got relegated (one of a few) and lost the cupfinal to city who beat us in the semi with a last min goal after we had mentally settled for a replay...that still rankles even now.

City 69 and WHU 75 were the last all English team to win the cup.

semis Leic 1 (Clarke A.) Vs WBA 0 - City 1 (Booth A.) Vs Everton 0
NW Vs Midlands Final who said they don't fix it.

Deeply loved and now sorely missed. My condolences to all Evertonians who feel this loss most deeply, as I am a relative newcomer.

I know that he will always be a legend. RIP to the Golden Vision.

The first reds Derby on them coming up was 70,000 plus at Goodison- my older brother reckons thst was the worse crush he experienced ?
I was at that game and seem to remember 73,000 was in the papers, it was tight in the ground at Goodison Road, I was just to the left of
the halfway line and near the front. Roy Vernon hid behind Jim Furnell (RSs goalie) after an Everton attack, Furnell bounced the ball (As the
goalies did then), Roy came from behind and stole the ball and slotted it in the Stanley Park End. As with what usually happens with
the RS, the referee instead of running backwards from the attack, turned and ran, I assume that when he heard the roar from the
Evertonians, he turned again, and gave a free kick to the RS. (God Almighty, how do we put up with it!)
More on the big crowds at Goodison, I remember the attendance being about 58,000 against Southampton (Circa 1980, Eamon O'Keefe
maybe), it seemed more like 88,000. As cash was involved over the turnstile, there was always rumours about how big wages or signing
on fees to the likes of Colin Todd or Bruce Rioch were paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back