Almost got em -players that were linked with Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Joe have a bit of a tiff with the local rag and ban journos, then try to resign who he'd sold cos his replacements weren't listening? Then certain promises from the agent went awry and it was downhill like an elephant on roller skates from there...?

Was that not Walter mate, I remember he went on a bit of a purge of Jounos. Bought Dacourt, and Matterazzi and had to sell them the following season because we couldn't afford them, Johnson again and before he sold Ferguson to Newcastle at half time.

What a memory you have mate, I remember it all now you mention it, weirdly I think I remember that Derby game, I think McGrath was playing for Derby, was it a Mon night. I remember Wimbledon and Sheff Weds too, was their an intertoto then….

Joe was the right manager at the right time and you could see he was building and the place was in a groove, he won the cup and stayed up on his man management and spirt alone despite Johnson. Despite tanking in Europe the following season - I think it was the cup winners cup, we went out against a Dutch team - we looked to be heading somewhere and it all fell apart then, after Waggy it was Howard again and the John Oster reveloution wasn’t it!
Ha, yeah my memory is weird, I remember minute details of things years ago but cant remember what I had for tea tonight...

Feyenoord it was, Ronald Koeman getting Craig Short sent off for nothing. We struggled at the start of that year, barely got past KR Reykjavik, Amokachi almost doing himself in afater a nasty fall in the home leg.

I always found it odd that he praised Limpar after the Kanchelskis derby and then never (or barely) played him again until binning him off to Birmingham for buttons at the end of the season. Love to know what happened there.

History has it that Johnson refused to sanction the signing of Norwegian defender Claus Eftevaag — ostensibly a makeweight in a larger deal to acquire his striking compatriot Tore Andre Flo — after Flo himself turned down the move at the last minute. His ultimatum to Royle had the obvious consequence of the manager's resignation.

Peter Johnson's view of this crucial episode was that, as the season continued, it was clear that Joe was getting panicky. While Joe had managed the club, Johnson had never questioned any of his signings but, just before the March 1997 transfer deadline, Joe informed Johnson that he wanted to sign Tore Andre Flo. In order to do so, he had to sign Claus Eftevaag who was somewhat older and would cost £2M. Crucially, this all involved the Norwegian Agent that led to George Graham's demise at Arsenal...

Flo was playing for Norway at the Confederation Cup in Dubai and there would have been a real rush to get him signed before the deadline (for £4M). Eftevaag failed a medical, but Joe still wanted to sign him as he really wanted Flo. So, faced with the guaranteed signing of a potentially unfit player and the non-guarantee of signing Flo, Johnson refused Joe for the first time.

Royle was shocked, walked out and came back 30 minutes later to resign. Johnson didn't want him to resign but admitted that if he had persuaded him to stay, the club would have been relegated..

Knew it. By Christ my fading memory of life in general has been rescued by my partial recollection of this useful bit of info from 25 years ago. Perhaps I have a future after all

We did sign him !

32BBD54000000578-3518821-image-a-6_1459505583977.jpg
Haha look at the date - I bought that issue, inside it said ‘ NEverton’ tawt

Ha, yeah my memory is weird, I remember minute details of things years ago but cant remember what I had for tea tonight...

Feyenoord it was, Ronald Koeman getting Craig Short sent off for nothing. We struggled at the start of that year, barely got past KR Reykjavik, Amokachi almost doing himself in afater a nasty fall in the home leg.

I always found it odd that he praised Limpar after the Kanchelskis derby and then never (or barely) played him again until binning him off to Birmingham for buttons at the end of the season. Love to know what happened there.

Brilliant stuff mate, I’m remembering it all when you say it, wonderful memory, you make the pub quiz team.

Limpar was really talented but always boom and bust, I think Walker signed him and he wasn’t great in 94, remember deliberately handling the ball in the Wimbledon game to stay up. his best was in the run in 95 especially the Spurs Semi, signing Andrei really threw him off and I don’t think Joe liked playing them both together and often didn’t. Joe I think lost faith with him after the Port Vale game in the Cup, he was on the black list then but came in for another cup embarrassment vs York, dont think he played again, even before that game I think he knew he was a goner.

He always looked liked he was no stranger to a fish supper either! lol

Brilliant stuff mate, I’m remembering it all when you say it, wonderful memory, you make the pub quiz team.

Lipar was really talented but always boom and bust, I think Walker signed him and he wasn’t great in 94, remember deliberately handling the ball in the Wimbledon game to stay up. his best was in the run in 95 especially the Spurs Semi, signing Andrei really threw him off and I don’t think Joe liked playing them both together and often didn’t. Joe I think lost faith with him after the Port Vale game in the Cup, he was on the black list then but came in for another cup embarrassment vs York, dont think he played again, even before that game I think he knew he was a goner.
Those league cup games back then were horrendous, getting beat by lower league teams was bad enough but getting beat over 2 legs was even worse! I remember losing to Portsmouth under Walker and Gerry Crainey looking like Pele against us. Think that was Fergusons debut for us.

Yeah Walker signed Limpar with Parkinson (such a waste) and Rowett. Think he got Brett Angell too. Always a mad one the Angell signing, he was actually brought to the club earlier in the season on loan under Kendall and was even on the bench for the home derby (The Mark Ward one) yet even after a change of manager and no games for us on loan we still went back and signed him full time. He looked boss against Swindon too...

Those league cup games back then were horrendous, getting beat by lower league teams was bad enough but getting beat over 2 legs was even worse! I remember losing to Portsmouth under Walker and Gerry Crainey looking like Pele against us. Think that was Fergusons debut for us.

Yeah Walker signed Limpar with Parkinson (such a waste) and Rowett. Think he got Brett Angell too. Always a mad one the Angell signing, he was actually brought to the club earlier in the season on loan under Kendall and was even on the bench for the home derby (The Mark Ward one) yet even after a change of manager and no games for us on loan we still went back and signed him full time. He looked boss against Swindon too...

Gerry Crainey your killing me now, man.….I remember the result not the game, I think back then ITV used to show the goals only about like 11.30 or something ridiculous. It was mental thinking back with two legs no wonder there wss always loads of shocks, remember Bolton went on a mad run in both cups while they had been lower league for beards (hadn’t been promoted at that stage) and had Stubbs, McAteer and Owen Coyle playing for them. Was it the CocaCola cup back then. Mad stuff.

Fair play mate, you’ve an incredible memory, I’m remembering all this as your talking, its a tonic, it’s all been in the hardrive in the back of my head, doesn’t seem that long ago, but was FFS, probably 4 or 5 relegation battles ago. lol

I remember us being linked with Martin Dahlin during the 94 World Cup. Trevor Francis (Sheffield Wednesday boss at the time) was on co-coms for a Sweden match and he said his Wednesday player Roland Nilsson had told him it was a done deal. Don't know why it fell through as he stayed at Gladbach. We got Amo instead. Wonder which flash in the pan we'll go for after this World Cup?
Some unknown Canadian toward is about our level.
Dahlia deal was in The paper every day, was buzzing. Pretty average when he eventually played for Blackburn

In Euro 96 we were linked with Russia's ball playing centre back, Yuri Nikiforov. Watched him in a couple of matches and he was hitting long cross field passes. Not great in defence though if I remember. Had a decent career at PSV

Status
Not open for further replies.