2023/24 Amadou Onana

If they’d have scored I would probably have blamed him. But they did not.

Fleeting moments of class. Has been below expectations throughout his time here bar a small handful of performances, and drives me mad. Genuinely would love him to work out (or for someone to work out for him) how to use his abilities to better effect, to actually achieve anything of note going forward, other than just racking up meaningless no-context stats that only prove he was playing.

It is definitely in there somewhere. We aren’t going to see it in blue now, which is a little sad.

"to actually achieve anything of note going forward, other than just racking up meaningless no-context stats that only prove he was playing. "

-- Just what a defensive midfielder should do...be good going forward.

Thanks, ive learned something new.

Makelele, Busquets et al...you were all dreadful defensive midfielders as you didnt eclipse Ronaldinho going forward.

Case closed.

Won’t go to a team that wins things.

I would be surprised if Arsenal dont bid.

Partey has one year left at Arsenal, so they'll look to get rid. If they do Onana is a natural replacement, and they pay market rate (probably around £60 to £70 million). Man United should be looking at him as well, they have a massive hole between defence and attack and Onana would be ideal for them.

"to actually achieve anything of note going forward, other than just racking up meaningless no-context stats that only prove he was playing. "

Makelele, Busquets et al...you were all dreadful defensive midfielders as you didnt eclipse Ronaldinho going forward.

Case closed.

I guess the real question around Onana or any player is whether they are a good fit for Everton. Regardless of how good a player is or isn’t, if their playing value is less than their transfer value, after a time it is best to move them on if other clubs see greater value in them and want them. The reality is you say he should be a defensive anchor in a middle three, but that is not the way he is being played so unless we change that, best to move him in….im not sure about the lads mentality as well.

Last edited:
I guess the real question around Onana or any players is whether they are a good fit for Everton. Regardless of how good a player is is isn’t, if their playing value is less than their transfer value, after a time it is best to move them on if other clubs see greater value in them and want them. The reality is you say he should be a defensive anchor in a middle three, but that is not the way he is being played so unless we change that, best to move him in….im not sure about the lads mentality as well.
I agree, he's a wasted asset, get as much money as possible and get a proper number 10 instead of Doucoure. Unless Dyche goes 4-4-2, which seems unlikely.

Hope he has a great euros, so we can cash in on him.

Unless we have to sell him before in which case…

Hope he has a terrible euros, so we can laud cashing in on him before he was exposed.

I guess the real question around Onana or any players is whether they are a good fit for Everton. Regardless of how good a player is is isn’t, if their playing value is less than their transfer value, after a time it is best to move them on if other clubs see greater value in them and want them. The reality is you say he should be a defensive anchor in a middle three, but that is not the way he is being played so unless we change that, best to move him in….im not sure about the lads mentality as well.

Yes he has to be sold if the fee is big enough.

With Dyche's tactics its just such a shame we didnt sell in January and sign Adam Wharton for £22mil to replace him.

Case closed.

Touchy. Gana has influenced us going forward more, and he’s made a career out of being a breaker up of play. Assume England will demand Rice doesn’t pass forward in the summer? Onana is a crap defensive midfielder because he refuses to track midfield runners. Occasional long legged tackle to make up for this. Oooo won 3 out of 4 duels. 4 duels in 90 mins attempted? £80m that. So yes, I’d quite like something going forward as he is a liability defensively. He does receive the ball excellently in deep areas, yes. Definitely. And he could be braver playing forward as he weights an excellent pass, and his touch was vital in the build up yesterday. He needs to work out where to play. He hasn’t the desire or awareness of his surroundings to defend and shows no sign of improving. He has the talent to go forward, but it just doesn’t look to be there.

Why is he no better than when he arrived? Irrespective of where you place him in the good/great scale or his mythical “ceiling”, he is exactly the same player as when he arrived. Cue lots of blaming of coaches, style, and “needs better players.”

Agree the “coaching” will be far from elite, but Myko has improved immeasurably to be one of our most consistent performers through sheer latent effort rather than physical talent. JB started well but has continued to mature under Dyche. Doucs has NOT improved, but is more effective under Dyche and runs and runs. McNeill has been more effective under Dyche. Small sample size but Chermiti has developed at Finch Farm and looks stronger and full of confidence without any game time.

Even Godfrey has played the best he has since the Carlo 4xCB wall in the last few months.

Garner does not have close to the ability of Onana, and has been “decent” for me. But he is forging himself a starting places through sheer effort, desire and scrappiness.

Onana is not in a great environment to develop, but he hasn’t improved one iota, and some of that has to be a personal responsibility?? I’d hoped Gana would grab him by the scruff of the neck and explain that CL teams do not carry centre midfielders, but he’s been too busy doing snake celebrations.

If he was crap and played crap, no one would care. Just another in a long line of stupid purchases. But our early holiday has been achieved without our supposedly best midfielder, and he only got a game because his colleague who is less talented but more willing had to move out to the right.