2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not being rude :o

It takes a certain mind to determine a superior player, at a superior club is worth less than another who was sold for £8mil more than you're quoting :)

If Lavia was £58mil then its surely common sense to look at a higher figure. You then have Rice and Caicedo at £115mil and there should be a barometer set between them.

I like Onana, I think he will be a top top player. However to compare him to Caicedo who was running games for a very good Brighton team every week and consistently excellent is a huge stretch.

I dont think people are doubting his ability, but I dont think we have or will see the best of him. He drifts in games, I dont think Dyche is a big fan and he is a player who will perform better with better players around him.

Plus by all accounts we need a sale, he is easier to replace than Branthwaite, DCL or Pickford who are the only realistic big sales we could make.

I used to get annoyed at posters underrating our players (Branthwaite being a case in point) but now it's become so ridiculous that I have to laugh.

Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Bayern and Barca are interested...

..."He's awful, hasn't improved, £50mil is a good deal"

I'm certain those views automatically upgrade several posters to being far more knowledgeable than some of the best clubs in Europe's management and scouting networks.

Lavia £58mil fee...Onana £50mil yes that sounds about right.

What amazing judgement.

…I personally have no doubt about the talent but I have real doubts about the application.

I thought he was magnificent at Arsenal on the last day but he disappointed me greatly over the whole season, especially after I posted pre-season that he’d be POTY. Teammates trying to convince him to stay on the pitch when he went down with a knock, a few reports that he asked to come off injured or with tiredness.

Says lots that he was on the bench for games. Compare him to Branthwaite who played every minute as though it really mattered. Talent with application, the vital ingredients.

Its not that posters don’t see the talent, he’s just our most ‘sellable asset’, the player generating a high income that can be replaced with somebody who is at least as effective next season.

…I personally have no doubt about the talent but I have real doubts about the application.

I thought he was magnificent at Arsenal on the last day but he disappointed me greatly over the whole season, especially after I posted pre-season that he’d be POTY. Teammates trying to convince him to stay on the pitch when he went down with a knock, a few reports that he asked to come off injured or with tiredness.

Says lots that he was on the bench for games. Compare him to Branthwaite who played every minute as though it really mattered. Talent with application, the vital ingredients.

Its not that posters don’t see the talent, he’s just our most ‘sellable asset’, the player generating a high income that can be replaced with somebody who is at least as effective next season.

As you mention Arsenal, i saw a report saying the Arsenal dressing room were praising Onana and discussing him afterwards.

I think that game may have swayed Arteta into going for him.

£70mil+ please.

Gooner in peace here hoping to get a bit of scouting report from you guys. I've read allot of this thread already. I've goto say your poster who said 'can't pass and first touch of a trampoline' worried me a bit. My biggest memory of the player was him absolutely battering Thomas Partey at Goodison last season.

If Arsenal are in for him I hope your owners can stick 2 fingers up at Ratboycliffe with that pathetic offer for 1 of your best players.

Shhh! He's a real trier. That game was the way he played all year,honest. We'll all be gutted to see him go but £70m would soften the blow 😜

Gooner in peace here hoping to get a bit of scouting report from you guys. I've read allot of this thread already. I've goto say your poster who said 'can't pass and first touch of a trampoline' worried me a bit. My biggest memory of the player was him absolutely battering Thomas Partey at Goodison last season.

If Arsenal are in for him I hope your owners can stick 2 fingers up at Ratboycliffe with that pathetic offer for 1 of your best players.
He's a very talented boy and if in the mood, a very good player.

He's played in 5 minute spells for us.

In a good team, which Arsenal are, he should be a very good pick up, depending on price. You will pay a premium based on his potential rather than his talent.

For me his talent is worth about 20m, but as I said, you are paying for potential and he's potentially worth more.

I would snap your hands off for 60m and run down the street with the money.

Time will judge if you get a good deal.

The clubs he has been linked to tell you he has talent. I just don't think we will see the best of him here.

Plus many on here (including me) thought we pulled Newcastle's pants down for Gordon and have been proven wrong. He's kicked on at them.

I used to get annoyed at posters underrating our players (Branthwaite being a case in point) but now it's become so ridiculous that I have to laugh.

I'm certain those views automatically upgrade several posters to being far more knowledgeable than some of the best clubs in Europe's management and scouting networks.

What amazing judgement.
I think sometimes (and it happens a lot with us) you get the right player at the wrong club. I think he falls into this category. Do I think he’s performed for us? Not really - I don’t think there is much commitment there. Is it because we are not using him the way he should be used? Possibly - I think people probably viewed him as a Viera / Keane type (no 8) as opposed to a no 6. The value to us in any transfer could be less than the value to the potential purchaser who may use him in the way he should be. That’s the difficulty in establishing a transfer fee for him.

What amazing judgement.

Lavia was outstanding for Southampton in a bad season. Caciedo (as well as Cucurella) were the best players in that Brighton side.

Onana struggled to oust Garner and Gana from our midfield.

£50-60mill will be good business for us regardless of debating over his talent.

Lavia was outstanding for Southampton in a bad season. Caciedo (as well as Cucurella) were the best players in that Brighton side.

Cucurella has always been a bog standard left back. Scored 1 goal for Brighton maybe. McCallister, Gross and Mitoma were the best players for Brighton. Caicedo put a lot of good tackles in.

He is a midfield anchor being used in a box to box role. Its been that way since he joined and there have been quotes saying he's being used in different roles to improve his all round game.

Use him as a 6 and you'll find a super player who will get better and better, especially because you play the ball on the deck.

He can do all but shoot and doesnt run around alot like a headless chicken. Many prefer Gana as he had 6 top notch performances end of the season. But over the season Onana was far superior (short memories).

As a midfield anchor with Rice & Odegaard ahead of him it will take your midfield up a level.

That kind of fee would be disappointing.

Gana was average at best and nowhere cloee to either Onana or Gana but for 6 end of season games.

Almost like he was after a contract extension.

I like Onana, I think he will be a top top player. However to compare him to Caicedo who was running games for a very good Brighton team every week and consistently excellent is a huge stretch.

I dont think people are doubting his ability, but I dont think we have or will see the best of him. He drifts in games, I dont think Dyche is a big fan and he is a player who will perform better with better players around him.

Plus by all accounts we need a sale, he is easier to replace than Branthwaite, DCL or Pickford who are the only realistic big sales we could make.
I think he will be a good 6 in a better team he has shown it for Belgium he is very effective as a pivot surrounded by pace, he can also develop as he has huge potential and the right physique. But in a Dyche set up he doesn't fit as well because its not about posession play or seemingly about springing counters as we don't have the pace and I agree he flits in and out of games more than I thought he would at first, but it's not surprising given his age may just be a laid back character too I don"t know. Ultimately we need to sell him we need around 50m+. Good luck to him.

Will be a good fit for you, it is more difficult to judge as many on here have rightly said he coasts through games like he is a big shot. But if Arteta can get him focused he will be a beast of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back