2023/24 Amadou Onana

They did, in part thanks to dyches tactics of completely bypassing the midfield and leaving them to do nothing more then defend the inevitable counter attack as our single striker whos 50 yards away from any team mate is expected to win the header, then the knock on and then create a chance that he then has to take himself

Fixed that for you mate;)

He's been pretty underwhelming for us Zat.

He was dropped towards the end of the season as he couldn't sustain any type of performance.

I believe Dyche dropped all 3 of the CMs over the course of the season.

Again, I really wish he'd been used as an anchor between defence and midfield. At Villa I think we'll see him used correctly, then perhaps I can be proven wrong?

Thats ok with me :)

I think that because he didn't really rip up trees here, wanted to leave, and management aren't too fussed with wanting him to go...is why the fee is what it is.

He was always here to sell on for profit. And that's what we made.

Fair point on the profit. Its a low fee in comparison to the market.

He got out thought & out muscled then disappeared when Chelsea thrashed us.

He was dropped for the next 4 crucial games 3 wins Forest , Liverpool & Brentford 1 draw Luton.
He only got back in the side through injuries and the fact we were 100% safe.

He's not irreplaceable.

Hes been with us between the age of 20-22 used out of position 99% of the time. He's definitely not irreplacable as a CM.

Would you have kept him Dan ?
Especially as he's been looking to move on himself.

You , as well as most of us knew there would be a big sale , any one of 3 .
DCL won't command anywhere near that size of fee.
And the very last thing we want is Branthwaite out the door.

I've said it often enough he could go on to the highest level if he applies himself , but he has been very underwhelming to say the least. There's a good player in there somewhere but we've seen that in many players over the years.
Hope he does turn himself around , but sadly don't think it was ever happening here.

If the money is spent wisely #cough , cough.....this is a good move all round.

I think you're wrong on the DCL fee. Remember, theres book values, PSR and wages to be considered.

DCL going for £20mil would give us a greater profit than Onana. Its because while DCL will be close to zero, for Onana on the books £19.8mil is still owing to Lille. Thats in terms of accounting related to PSR.

In real life, I expect similar figures to be around that.

A lot of words here but it’s pretty simple, he’s bang average to the rest of world but for some reason, you lauded this guy like seeing prime Zidane week in and out. Made every excuse under the sun and blaming everyone else for frankly average performances

During a recent Belgium friendly you gave him a 7 and in his match highlights included ‘celebrated a goal with lukaku’ just brilliant.

Throwing £100m+ fees around all season. Wanted by Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, Man Utd, Bayern Munich, 1970’s Brazil etc . The fact he’s gone for £50m to Villa, of all teams, is pure proof you’re deluded and talk absolute crap.

1: Just taking the £33mil and the £55mil sale price (per Bobble) we've made 65% revenue on the fees.

2: The "excuses" have been:
A: He's 20-22 years old
B: He's being played out of position
C: He's rarely been used in a defensive role
D: The team 'strategy' isnt helping midfielders

Are they "excuses" or facts?

3: All of those elite teams (and more) have been linked by reputable media sources. You're talking as if i'm making this up lol

4: The benchmark fees of players actually used in defensive midfield positions e.g Rice, Caicedo, Lavia and even Ugarte in comparison to Onana's fee highlight a lower than market fee. However, when many others have posted stats he is clearly up there and superior to most comparables in the league.

For a player who is "terrible" and you clearly HATE I'd say the joke is on you.

MY club has turned over 65% revenue generation on a player you deem to be useless.

MY club has received a club record transfer fee from a champions league team for him.

MY club has seen one of the most respected DOFs (not including Roma fans view) and Managers make that record offer...

...but yet YOU think he's rubbish.

YOU prefer to make obnoxious posts and wish we'd sold him for a loss just so you'd be right.

YOU are the problem here, not me.

He needed to adapt to the system and not the other way around.

All I read is that the national side and his club side need to build around him to see him at his "potential"

For us fundamentally...
He wasn't a better DM than Gana
Wasn't a consistent CM than Garner
Wasn't a better attacking threat than Doucoure.

I don't mind him. You'll probably see a more complete player in 2-3 years time. Could've stayed with us, didn't want to. Moved him on.

Not his game to "adapt to the system" though is it. Look at Veron at United?

Gana is classed as a DM by many here but is he? He is effective by running around alot as a 'hunter' and 'press machine'. He's not a DM who sits back and mops up. How would Gana do as in that role = terribly as its not his game.

The same can be said for wanting Onana to play like Gana.

Tbf he has a point, Dyche has misused both Onana and Garner last season. Onana has been tasked with what is ultimately Garners better position/role and Dyche has seen fit to make Garner the more defensive player which is really Onana's best position.

1000% correct. Its not only the starting position as a CM where he's misused, its also the strategy of Dyche using the wrong players defensively, box-to-box and sitting back/pressing.

The amount of times Gana or Garner were tasked to play more defensively when Onana is the only DM of the 3 was mind blowing.

"We are using Onana in a variety of positions to improve his all-round game"

--both Lampard and Dyche said this.

Why not just use him in the correct position and role? Its utter madness.

We'll see Villa use him correctly.

Not sure what he's actually good at. Was hoping he would shop window himself in the Euros but he was a bit of a passenger.

If he's worth £50m then Branthwaite is double based on performance last season.

Bobble said its £55mil + we have a sell on clause.

If he was a "passenger" in the euros why was he Belgiums 2nd best player behind De Bruyne? Why was he named by L'equipe in the team of best players in the group stage?

He was good :)

He is not a good player, he is mediocre at best
I have no issues in players being mediocre, as long as they work hard and give everything
He is the typical young player who believes and has been told they are destined for greatness
Unfortunately nobody told him you have to work hard to get to greatness

Take the money, and move on…

"Work hard" = run around alot like Gana right?

£33m, 2 average seasons and £50m in. We’re selling because it’s good business and helps us reinvest in the squad.

Perhaps there should be some kind of multi-step plan to move forward from this?

If Everton signed 20 year old Gnonto this window. He has 2 "average" seasons for us out of position and we sell for 65% revenue generated on his fee.

Would that be a bad thing? Yes because we should get more benefit on pitch and a higher sale price if he was used correctly.

Don’t Lille take a big chunk of that profit

20% or £3.4mil.

So is Lukaku. Would you advocate shelling out more than the ~£90m Chelsea paid for him, regardless of club form, because he’s been sound for Belgium?

At the same age as Onana, 22? Id pay that for a 22 year old Lukaku. Not even a 2nd thought.

Most said the same about Gordon....

This will be a great signing for Villa, Emery will know how to get the best out of him.

Yeah i was wrong on Gordon but he downed tools before being sold.

Many here have re-written history on him though and we'll see in future those same posters giving all sorts of stories about Onana's time with us.

For those that play golf us having Onana in the squad is like an 18 handicapper having a 8 degree, 6 X stiff, low spin bombing driver in the bag. It might be an incredible tool but in the wrong hands it’s just a paper weight. You might hit 1 in 100 good shots with it but you’re better off just trading it in for a Ping G420 with a regular flex shaft. You’ll find way more fairways with it

Hoped it would be a bigger team than Villa but with more money but oh well. Can't really be surprised. Don't think he was ever any major players main target this season was he?
Think its odd…Arsenal, Bayern, Barca all big teams linked to him…but in the end its Villa! Odd

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.