2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's probably why Emery wants him.

He'll fit in well with the style of football he plays.

Good luck to him I guess.
Except when Villa play us of course.
Exactly… put him in a good footballing side and watch him do well.

Seems that is not what this Everton team is right now nor do many people want us to be.

Still a big transition phase I guess.

That’s fair enough mate. You’ve explained why you would be, I don’t agree with it but it’s your own feelings of course so it’s all good.

£50m will be of greater benefit to us right now in my opinion.
I am sure it will providing we invest it correctly. We are very much in a transition phase (hopefully).

For me Onana is the right player at the wrong time.

I agree but that's really how you should look at a DM or continuity player.

A bit like a decent referee, you shouldn't be aware of them.

Oh couldn't agree more and that's exactly the type of player we need and what Onana isn't.

I suspect that Lampard and Dyche tried to turn him into a Viera or Toure type player when in reality he's more of a Makelele

Good points ;)

Bobble said its £55mil + we have a sell on clause.

If he was a "passenger" in the euros why was he Belgiums 2nd best player behind De Bruyne? Why was he named by L'equipe in the team of best players in the group stage?

He was good :)

"Work hard" = run around alot like Gana right?

If Everton signed 20 year old Gnonto this window. He has 2 "average" seasons for us out of position and we sell for 65% revenue generated on his fee.

Would that be a bad thing? Yes because we should get more benefit on pitch and a higher sale price if he was used correctly.

20% or £3.4mil.

At the same age as Onana, 22? Id pay that for a 22 year old Lukaku. Not even a 2nd thought.

Yeah i was wrong on Gordon but he downed tools before being sold.

Many here have re-written history on him though and we'll see in future those same posters giving all sorts of stories about Onana's time with us.
Just because the outcome isn’t the best, it doesn’t mean it isn’t good. Considering the amount of players that have walked out the door for nothing after us shelling out £20m+, a 65% profit after 2 average (at best) seasons is a sign we’re doing better business.

As you say, hopefully the squad replacements will do better and make us more, so we can make similar improvements on the pitch.

There’s Onana’s own desires to consider here as well. Who knows what he’s told the club, what if he had said he wants out this summer. In that scenario there’s no point keeping players who don’t want to be here, so getting the best fee we could would be a logical decision at that point.

There’s Onana’s own desires to consider here as well. Who knows what he’s told the club, what if he had said he wants out this summer. In that scenario there’s no point keeping players who don’t want to be here, so getting the best fee we could would be a logical decision at that point.
Why would he want to stay here? The manager dropped him from the side on multiple occasions and seemed like he played him mostly out of need rather than desire.

I notice how people are now saying 55m, despite some of them spending the last few years that we should never factor in add ons.

But anyway, 55m is a cracking price for the lad, in 2024, just like the 45m we got for Gordon was a cracking price in 2023.

Time will judge both these deals.

Why would he want to stay here? The manager dropped him from the side on multiple occasions and seemed like he played him mostly out of need rather than desire.

I notice how people are now saying 55m, despite some of them spending the last few years that we should never factor in add ons.

But anyway, 55m is a cracking price for the lad, in 2024, just like the 45m we got for Gordon was a cracking price in 2023.

Time will judge both these deals.

There’s no reason at all he’d have any tie to Everton, and I’m sure if Villa drop out the CL next season he’s not going to become a Villa club legend just because the manager plays him every week. These lads want to build careers as quickly as possible, arrive at the top level, play the CL and earn a load of money. If PSG show interest if he performs well for Villa he’d probably be off in a shot. Most players are this way inclined now.

Not everything has to be a case of Dyche, Thelwell or Everton as a whole screwing up. We’ve sold a player who was never going to be a long term player for us for a profit, that’s it.

There’s no reason at all he’d have any tie to Everton, and I’m sure if Villa drop out the CL next season he’s not going to become a Villa club legend just because the manager plays him every week. These lads want to build careers as quickly as possible, arrive at the top level, play the CL and earn a load of money. If PSG show interest if he performs well for Villa he’d probably be off in a shot. Most players are this way inclined now.

Not everything has to be a case of Dyche, Thelwell or Everton as a whole screwing up. We’ve sold a player who was never going to be a long term player for us for a profit, that’s it.
Nobody has screwed up.

A player wants to leave, we have sold him for a fair price.

Exactly… put him in a good footballing side and watch him do well.

Seems that is not what this Everton team is right now nor do many people want us to be.

Still a big transition phase I guess.
I know there are some bad meffs but I don’t think that’s really true as a generalisation. After the turmoil of the last few years, there’s a desperate desire for some stability (which, under Dyche, means nothing better than Dycheball), but if we get that, then surely every fan* wants us to be a better footballing side?

I mean, I’d like that now but not if it’s at the cost of more points deductions or a Bobby Brown Shoes style collapse in defence.

*meffs excepted

These lads want to build careers as quickly as possible, arrive at the top level, play the CL and earn a load of money. If PSG show interest if he performs well for Villa he’d probably be off in a shot. Most players are this way inclined now.
They already earn a load of money. Keano’s set for life but he’s never threatened Real Madrid with a dilemma of picking him over Rudiger.

They already earn a load of money. Keano’s set for life but he’s never threatened Real Madrid with a dilemma of picking him over Rudiger.

Onana probably has slightly higher hopes for himself than Michael Keane and rightly so. He also wasn’t born in the north west of England so literally has no good reason why he’d be interested in staying long term at Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.