2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a big miss in terms of our style of football. 34 year old Gana Gueye suits us miles more and we will get one further year out of him. Stay up and replace Gana with a new CM next summer. I also prefer Garner at CM over Onana in this system. £55m thanks and goodbye.
That for me sums up Onana. When another midfielder who doesn't score many, isn't tall enough to be a threat in the opposition penalty area at dead ball situations and in ours defending is a far more effective player. The Prem isn't a division that lets you get away with strolling around giving 70% I thought we'd see the real player in the Euros,but it was more of the same.

That for me sums up Onana. When another midfielder who doesn't score many, isn't tall enough to be a threat in the opposition penalty area at dead ball situations and in ours defending is a far more effective player. The Prem isn't a division that lets you get away with strolling around giving 70% I thought we'd see the real player in the Euros,but it was more of the same.
Fully agree and I would like to think another small but tenacious player could be signed to take over from Gana and continue to do his job, for instance Billy Gilmour at Brighton. Brighton seem to be inclined to let him go for around £10M. He would suit me fine.

Fully agree and I would like to think another small but tenacious player could be signed to take over from Gana and continue to do his job, for instance Billy Gilmour at Brighton. Brighton seem to be inclined to let him go for around £10M. He would suit me fine.
I think Gilmour is a modern day Leon Osman. Bags of technical ability but likely to be out muscled by teams with power house midfields.
In the right set up he would flourish with a destroyer behind him but I don’t think he’s a player Dyche would go for.

Any players limitations can be overcome with tenacity and hard work. Neither of which apply to Onana. Don't know a lot about Gilmour but if he has those qualities he'll do for me. Lost count of the number of times in the Euros at free kicks and throw ins. Onana was picking up nobody.

Won't be £50 million in the bank We have to pay £5 million to Lille for the profit, and probably £20 million for the remaining payments, as we no doubt bought him on a 5 year payment agreement, as we do business like this these days.
I know it was a tongue in cheek comment that we are about to sell a player who is not key for me for a good price which will still mean we can invest a bit in the squad: loan fees and or get players on low fees

I think Gilmour is a modern day Leon Osman. Bags of technical ability but likely to be out muscled by teams with power house midfields.
In the right set up he would flourish with a destroyer behind him but I don’t think he’s a player Dyche would go for.
Fair enough, I think Gilmour sticks to his job, giving the ball to his teammates and then moving into position to receive the ball back, constantly in the game a real team player who can tackle and win the ball and staying on his feet while doing so ready to use the ball after winning his tackles. A good temperament helps his game as well.It looks like he is on his way to Italy anyway but I’d love Everton to make a move for him.

This is a bit of an odd one to look back on for me. Me and basically everyone I talk to reckon he will go on to be a top player for someone one day, but no one seems overly bothered that he's going and his leaving has barely even raised a comment between us all.

I suppose it's cause
- We know the Belgians are always angling for a move from our circus show and that he wouldn't stay for long.
- Dyche doesn't seem able to make him flourish in his 'system' anyway.
- He's only going to Villa (yeah they're doing excellently atm but still, it's only villa they're not top dogs yet.)

I've never been so nea for a player I think is actually pretty good. Weird. Good luck anyway brother.

Be better going for Mount off Utd. Only £22m difference in valuation… which puts us out of the game. Gilmour it is then

Don't dislike the lad and good luck to him. Villa having a good spell. They won't be allowed to sustain it as the powers that be want Utd back in the top 4.

But let's be honest, he's pretty average without any particular stand out quality and going for £50m. Football is properly broken.

Good luck to him. Villa have really pushed on the last two years.

First Spurs , then Newcastle and now Villa.

Damage control and be sensitive all you like, it’s all there for everyone to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back