2023/24 Amadou Onana

I’ve seen him play for Belgium s few times and he looks no different as when he plays(?) for Everton, in and out of the game, mostly out.You put him on a pedestal Zat, which is fair enough because he plays like statue most of the time.

Yeah not sure when these amazing performances for Belgium have happened. He had a poor World Cup, and they haven’t done a lot since other than some absolute nonentity games v the likes of Austria and Azerbaijan.
When they played England Mainoo put in by far the better midfield performance.

Last edited:
He’s in a bad run of form, outta the team, struggling for confidence. Bad professional shout annoy me, so do the will be a superstar in a better team shouts. He’s an average prem footballer who has the ability/physical stats to be a good one.
Hope we get good money if on offer or he kicks on at us.

He has to be the first name out of the door if we can get anything like our money back for him which I doubt. As others have said he has everything physically to make it but the application just isn't there. The likes of Branthwaite and Pickford are important players for us, Onana is still just potential and the likelihood of him fulfilling that is diminishing.

I don't buy the shouts of some saying if you put him in a better team blah blah blah. It's easy to look good against Azerbaijan for Belgium, but we don't play Andorra in the Premier league I'm afraid. If Onana had 5 gears he never seems to get beyond 3 and perhaps the gearstick is now jammed. We all wanted him to kick on and really grab games by the scruff of the neck but it just never seemed to happen.

Personally think he’s doing precisely what he was bought for, which was to develop a bit, show potential and be sold on for a profit.
He was never bought as some sort of long term CM to build the team around.

Thelwell stated that's exactly what he's doing a few times when he was popping up on podcasts.

Additionally he said he's wanting deals done fast, and for a fair price, rather than sitting on them.

Snake Rat Gordon would've been at Chelsea if it wasn't for Kenwright for example

Been thinking about this recently, i like the lad always have, early season i think he kicked on well, but has run out of puff come the end of the season, i feel he's unsettled, i think he likes it here, but often with these young lads, you generally have people around him throwing options at him.

I do go back to the summer we signed him - i dont think he was the type of midfielder we needed, we needed a playmaker, but Lampard decided to cut Doucoure loose from the squad and just bring in some to build over an existing player again wihtot moving them on - i think him and Doucoure are very similar players to have in the squad. In hindsight we should have used the funds on Gibbs White that would have given us a different dimension.

Interestingly the Onana and Doucoure situation gives us an idea of how much power a manager wilds at Everton with the DOF. Lampard clearly was allowed to discard Doucoure and spend 30mill+ on Onana. 6 Months later Doucoure becomes key with Dyche, 6 months after that he has a new contract. Thelwel is obviously very influenced by his managers.

He was signed for £35m, I think the idea was for him to be a first teamer and improve us tbh.
I agree, but a 1st teamer until he could be sold for a profit.
Dyche ball isn't the forum for him to showcase his talents though.
BTW I’m no big fan of his, I think he plays within himself for us more often than not, but I also think he has the potential to thrive in in the right team, with the right manager, in the biggest competitions, if he gets over himself.
I think he has a bit of an air of ‘I’ve made it’ about him, I’m unconvinced he has the hunger to really push on.

Interestingly the Onana and Doucoure situation gives us an idea of how much power a manager wilds at Everton with the DOF. Lampard clearly was allowed to discard Doucoure and spend 30mill+ on Onana. 6 Months later Doucoure becomes key with Dyche, 6 months after that he has a new contract. Thelwel is obviously very influenced by his managers.
Find that hard the believe tbh, I doubt Lampard had even heard of him, he would have been more focused on getting the likes of Gallagher on loan or perm imo.