2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what, I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 that I've seen here. He is undoubtedly good, if he is given space. That's why he looked so good on his loan spell. Once teams sussed him in his second season they just pressurised him and it cut his effectiveness by 50%. He's a decent squad filler, but, he's on too much money to be a squad filler here.
I didn’t word my post very well. What I was trying to say was that on his best days he did things I’ve never seen an Everton midfielder do and with such ease.

Of course, his form fell off a cliff but I’m not referring to that.

I didn’t word my post very well. What I was trying to say was that on his best days he did things I’ve never seen an Everton midfielder do and with such ease.

Of course, his form fell off a cliff but I’m not referring to that.
Yes, but, as I said, his form fell off a cliff because he got sussed, he really isn't suited to the premier league, while his is undoubtedly a gifted player, he needs far more time on the ball than most English clubs allow him now that they have worked him out. Put him in Portugal or Italy and he would be great, here not much more than average.

Lol, even Zat gets it wrong occasionally mate.
Having said that…many of us were probably thinking the whole squad should be ditched after the soulless performances of recent months.
Still, a young positive manager who knows how to be a midfielder and actually control the game whilst playing attacking football, is what we needed. A breath of fresh air, and a lifeline for many of the players.
Yes, there will be some tough times ahead, but if we approach games with yesterday’s attitude things should be ok.

If any offer came in now id take it.

Weve seen great games from Gomes before, followed by 10-15 very poor ones.

He did have a great game and its a new manager so lets see if by some miracle he can put in 1 2 or 3 more performances in a row like that.

My guess is DVB takes his place pretty soon.

Maybe he needs his comfort blanket, namely Allan, to allow him to express himself more.
We see from training they worked on fast one touch, no reason to doubt Frank et al haven't asked him to be more pivotal in working the ball and taking a pop himself

Just hasn't done near enough for me, and any improvements come from a pretty low base. The last few seasons have been very non-descript. You see someone like Gordon come in, with that hunger, and that's the difference.

In terms of the current squad he has a role to play, predominantly from the bench, and that's where I would have him tomorrow night.

Lampard will say the right things and be diplomatic, but I don't think he'll be fooled when there are other, better options available.

For me the issue has always been he needs legs around him to do the running when it comes to defensive side of things. His talent is getting the ball and dictating the game. Having Allan and five defenders to do his leg work at times will help bring the best out of him. It’s another question on if this enough to demand a place in the team.

Do you know what, I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 that I've seen here. He is undoubtedly good, if he is given space. That's why he looked so good on his loan spell. Once teams sussed him in his second season they just pressurised him and it cut his effectiveness by 50%. He's a decent squad filler, but, he's on too much money to be a squad filler here.

I know it's just one match, but Brentford were pressing, and under pressure, he passed forward, or kept the ball really well, whereas up till now he's been passing sideways and back under no pressure. I think it might be a stretch that he plays 30 games at least, and plays well in at least 15-20 of them, but it can't be a coincidence that Lampard + Delli + VDB all arrived and he played much much better.
I think he's a confidence player, and with the right tactics, some good performances, and genuine options off the bench or in the squad that can push him to play better, he'll do well for us! Hopefully his injury is behind him, and he has the right coaching and support to play much better regularly.

Apart from this, doesnt it feel good to talk about a good performance by him for the first time in 2-3 years! His thread has hardly been at the top of the list for ages

I'd be perfectly ok with Gbamin, Delph and Davies being punted.

Gomes is a funny one. He's the only one of the failed midfielders we have who could, if the stars aligned, have a future here in a possession-based style.

We've been here before with him though. Many times. I'd want to see him have some reasonably good form between now and the end of the season to save him.

What I would say though, and it might be an incredibly unpopular opinion (and potentially a wrong one) is that if Saturday is anything to go by, of our current midfield options I could conceivably see Gomes being the big winner and Doucoure being the big loser. It's hard for me to see Doucoure being so comfortable in a pass and move style like the one we saw on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.