2022/23 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
David Ornstein has a piece this morning that Nicolas Pepé agreed to a £2.5m wage cut to facilitate his loan to Nice.

Players do, from time to time, take wage cuts in return for the prospect of regular first-team football.

I don't think the issue here is a lack of interest in Gomes, more likely behind that charming smile and looks is a hard-nosed hustler quite happy to sit and pick up his millions with us.

He’s definitely in the same bracket as Schneiderlin, Tosun, Delph, Bolasie and so on and so on. Not an ounce of pride as a professional in him, he is utterly pathetic. He absolutely warrants booing if he ever makes it onto a pitch for us again, I despise him.

He’s definitely in the same bracket as Schneiderlin, Tosun, Delph, Bolasie and so on and so on. Not an ounce of pride as a professional in him, he is utterly pathetic. He absolutely warrants booing if he ever makes it onto a pitch for us again, I despise him.

Tbf we gave him that contract, that’s our fault. Football is fickle and full of hypocrisy.

I wouldn’t drop my wage if I was him. His career will be over soon, due to his age. So it’s his last big pay day.

Weird that fans don’t get angry when they release youth players, after promising them world. Pulling them, in part, out of education. Therefore lessening their qualifications and their earning potential, if football doesn’t work out. Which is most btw

Would I prefer Gomes goes off the wage bill…..yes. Do I blame him for not doing….no.

All we can do is as a club and as supporters is hope they find a solution. If they don’t. Then act like what we are called a ‘supporter’. Not some booo boy, which helps no one. Gomes, if he plays, will perform at a lower level and the so called ‘fans’ are more miserable. Chill out. It’s a bag of wind being kicked around the park. What was better? The booing or the last half dozen games at the end of last season?

Tbf we gave him that contract, that’s our fault. Football is fickle and full of hypocrisy.

I wouldn’t drop my wage if I was him. His career will be over soon, due to his age. So it’s his last big pay day.

Weird that fans don’t get angry when they release youth players, after promising them world. Pulling them, in part, out of education. Therefore lessening their qualifications and their earning potential, if football doesn’t work out. Which is most btw

Would I prefer Gomes goes off the wage bill…..yes. Do I blame him for not doing….no.

All we can do is as a club and as supporters is hope they find a solution. If they don’t. Then act like what we are called a ‘supporter’. Not some booo boy, which helps no one. Gomes, if he plays, will perform at a lower level and the so called ‘fans’ are more miserable. Chill out. It’s a bag of wind being kicked around the park. What was better? The booing or the last half dozen games at the end of last season?

As has been said previously in this thread by others, other footballers have taken pay cuts because they want to actually play football and enjoy their jobs, while still managing to make more money than 99.98% of society.

I think Gomes is a complete and utter mercenary with no professional pride in him whatsoever. Of course we were stupid to give him a huge wage because he’s terrible at football, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s turning down opportunities to play football in order to bleed our club dry, so I have every right as a supporter of the club to dislike him.

As has been said previously in this thread by others, other footballers have taken pay cuts because they want to actually play football and enjoy their jobs, while still managing to make more money than 99.98% of society.

I think Gomes is a complete and utter mercenary with no professional pride in him whatsoever. Of course we were stupid to give him a huge wage because he’s terrible at football, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s turning down opportunities to play football in order to bleed our club dry, so I have every right as a supporter of the club to dislike him.
Exactly. He spends his childhood and youth dreaming of playing football for a living instead of having some crap 9-5 job, then actually ends up, by choice, actually not playing football and sitting on a fat contract.

He's obviously available both on loan or a permanent deal, but the only take away from the situation is that he's refusing to lower his wage demands to go and play.

Sure, it's his prerogative due to being under contract, but he's got enough money to guarantee his family a luxury lifestyle for generations to come.

Just hard to give him much respect any more.

So some, not many take pay cuts. Perhaps they have personal issues, which makes them want to move, like family being unsettled. Perhaps his family is settled and therefore doesn’t want move.

Professional pride, is turning up and doing your best. Not saying I am going to take a pay cut. To conflate those two is embarrassing and ridiculous.

Exactly. He spends his childhood and youth dreaming of playing football for a living instead of having some crap 9-5 job, then actually ends up, by choice, actually not playing football and sitting on a fat contract.

He's obviously available both on loan or a permanent deal, but the only take away from the situation is that he's refusing to lower his wage demands to go and play.

Sure, it's his prerogative due to being under contract, but he's got enough money to guarantee his family a luxury lifestyle for generations to come.

Just hard to give him much respect any more.

I don’t respect him one bit. Strolling around half arsed while the club that pays him very very handsomely was in the depths of a relegation battle, scared to put a foot in because he once had a hurty ankle for a few weeks while everyone around him was putting their bodies on the line. I think he’s an absolute disgrace to his profession and I wish him failure wherever he ends up after here.

We’ve had a succession of players who aren’t good enough for Everton been paid so much that their children will likely not have to work. The club have forgotten about the main component real Evertonians demand: character, as casual online fans coo over fancy flicks and XG.

So some, not many take pay cuts. Perhaps they have personal issues, which makes them want to move, like family being unsettled. Perhaps his family is settled and therefore doesn’t want move.

Professional pride, is turning up and doing your best. Not saying I am going to take a pay cut. To conflate those two is embarrassing and ridiculous.

Well he’s failed at that as well.

Not at the top of your Christmas card list, then?

(Only 118 sleeps, yanno).

I feel like he is the one we will be stuck with by the end of the window. Does Frank budge on him once we are through the deadline?

It looks like we are positioning ourselves to try to play 4-3-3 if we get a couple of our other targets in. With a big deep breathe, I can see him playing a small role in a 4-3-3 late in matches when the sting has gone out of the game - he has always shown his best form in that formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back